Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RSR50 firmware 2.5.1.16

crvance003
Aspirant

Orbi RSR50 firmware 2.5.1.16

I just updated my Orbi RBR50 router to the latest (as of 04/18/20) firware version, 2.5.1.8. When it was done, orbilogin.com indicated that my satellites, all RBS50, were all updated to 2.5.1.16. The thing is, I can't find on netgear.com a downloadable version of that satellite firmware. There IS a version 2.5.1.16 for the RBS20, but the latest listed version for the RBS50 is 2.5.1.8. My question, then is,  what's going on? Is it that my system is misidentifying the firmware version of the satellites? OR did my router force a RBS20 firmware on my RBS50 satellites? OR is there a "secret" 2.5.1.16 version for the RBS50's? Any insight from the community would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 68

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

NG sometimes pushes FW udpates before they post them on the web site. 

@crvance003 wrote:

I just updated my Orbi RBR50 router to the latest (as of 04/18/20) firware version, 2.5.1.8. When it was done, orbilogin.com indicated that my satellites, all RBS50, were all updated to 2.5.1.16. The thing is, I can't find on netgear.com a downloadable version of that satellite firmware. There IS a version 2.5.1.16 for the RBS20, but the latest listed version for the RBS50 is 2.5.1.8. My question, then is,  what's going on? Is it that my system is misidentifying the firmware version of the satellites? OR did my router force a RBS20 firmware on my RBS50 satellites? OR is there a "secret" 2.5.1.16 version for the RBS50's? Any insight from the community would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 68

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Might be useful to validate the Orbi Update page report.  For example:

Open each satellite web Home Page directly and observe what the satellite reports for firmware version.

i.e. http://<ip of satellite>  It's in the middle of the page.

Activate telnet on each satellite by opening the debug page (on each)

i.e. http://<ip of satellite>/debug.htm

and check the box "Enable Telnet"

Then use a telnet client to connect to the satellite and type this command:

nvram show | grep update

On my Orbi RBS50, this is what I get:

root@RBS50:/#
root@RBS50:/# nvram show | grep update
fw_download_url=https://http.fw.updates1.netgear.com/rbs50/V2.5.1/ww
update_time=1826
root@RBS50:/#

This seems to indicate that the firmware version is what I expected it to be.  What does your Orbi satellite show?

Message 2 of 68
crvance003
Aspirant

Hmmm, opening the webpage shows 2.5.1.16, so again it looks like a secret update.

Using PuTTY to telnet in (Windows is being a little **bleep** right now and doesn't want to install its own native telnet clinet) gives me:

So it looks like Orbi indeed installed an appropriate RBS50 update, but it still doesn't clarify why unadvertised 2.5.1.16, rather than advertised 2.5.1.8.

Message 3 of 68
FURRYe38
Guru

@crvance003 wrote:

Message 4 of 68
CrimpOn
Guru

@crvance003 wrote:

I just updated my Orbi RBR50 router to the latest (as of 04/18/20) firware version, 2.5.1.8. When it was done, orbilogin.com indicated that my satellites, all RBS50, were all updated to 2.5.1.16.

I would appreciate hearing "how" this firmware update was done:

• Using the "Firmware Update" menu item on the Advanced Tab, Administration?
    i.e. the web page showed that 2.5.1.8 was available for both router and satellites?
    and you then clicked on "Do it" (or whatever the button is)?
  • The Orbi app?

If the Firmware Update page says that 2.5.1.8 is available as an update, then (silly old person) I think that's what should be installed.  I am seriously not comfortable with:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

We have become comfortable with the concept that Netgear NO LONGER "pushes" firmware unless there is a SERIOUS URGENCY to do so.  Going from .8 to .16 on the satellite does not sound "urgent".

MY TAKE on this is that someone at Netgear may have made a "silent revision" to 2.5.1.8, but screwed up and updated the version number in a text field without intending to.  Of course, with Netgear, we'll never know.

Message 5 of 68
BigRune
Apprentice

Like fw 2.5.1.8 was appearing and a couple of days later disapearing. Made me question what was going on?! NG just don’t have quality assurance and obviously no release plan.
Message 6 of 68
crvance003
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@crvance003 wrote:

I just updated my Orbi RBR50 router to the latest (as of 04/18/20) firware version, 2.5.1.8. When it was done, orbilogin.com indicated that my satellites, all RBS50, were all updated to 2.5.1.16.

i.e. the web page showed that 2.5.1.8 was available for both router and satellites?
  • The Orbi app?

If the Firmware Update page says that 2.5.1.8 is available as an update, then (silly old person) I think that's what should be installed.  I am seriously not comfortable with:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

We have become comfortable with the concept that Netgear NO LONGER "pushes" firmware unless there is a SERIOUS URGENCY to do so.  Going from .8 to .16 on the satellite does not sound "urgent".

MY TAKE on this is that someone at Netgear may have made a "silent revision" to 2.5.1.8, but screwed up and updated the version number in a text field without intending to.  Of course, with Netgear, we'll never know.

Checking for a fw update on my router's web page erroneously told me that there was no update available. Instead I download the fw updates from the NG website and then manually updated my router using its web page (Advanced -> Administration -> Firmware Update -> Manual Update). Apparently just selecting the router to be updated to 2.5.1.8 convinced NG to also push the fw on all 5 of my satellites to 2.5.1.16, without my asking.

Message 7 of 68
CrimpOn
Guru

@crvance003 wrote:

Checking for a fw update on my router's web page erroneously told me that there was no update available. Instead I download the fw updates from the NG website and then manually updated my router using its web page (Advanced -> Administration -> Firmware Update -> Manual Update). Apparently just selecting the router to be updated to 2.5.1.8 convinced NG to also push the fw on all 5 of my satellites to 2.5.1.16, without my asking.

Oh, my.  So, the only Manual Update that you actually did was to the router, not to any of the satellites?

Message 8 of 68
crvance003
Aspirant

Well, in all fairness, I was going to update my satellites after the router. NG just simplified the process for me without my having to take those additional steps.

Message 9 of 68
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

FYI, there is a v2.5.1.16 firmware release in beta. However, it should not have been released to anyones systems yet unless something was messed up in NGs firmware update repository. I do not know what changes are in this minor update.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 10 of 68
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the tip about the beta.  I checked again yesterday, and the zip files for RBR50 and RBS50 on the download site still have file dates of 12/18/2019 for the img files.  It is really a puzzle how manually loading firmware from 12/18/2019 on the router could trigger a silent update of the satellites to a beta that probably did not exist back then.  NVRAM show does include this parameter:

auto_update=1

This is one time where my curiosity will have to be disappointed.  Not about to do another manual update just to see if it does the same thing to me.  (Would not prove anyghing, because somebody could have discovered the screwup and removed whatever triggered this from the Netgear server that is being checked.)

Message 11 of 68
Mooose
Luminary

FWIW it seems whatever updated firmware was available has been pulled again. I am on V2.3.5.30. The admin page has been flagging updates for days, but now says there's no new firmware version available.

Message 12 of 68
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Looks like 2.5.1.16 is out now for RBR50/RBS50 at https://kb.netgear.com/000061838/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-5-1-16

For me, I never had the incomplete device list issue others saw with 2.5.1.8, so I see no improvements with 2.5.1.16 on my setup.  I still have 4 open issues:

1) Orbi Android App cannot change device icons

2) Orbi Android App icon is incorrect for "smart locks", shows "network" device instead

3) DHCP logging is inconsistent (logs them until rebooted, then does not log them until rebooted again)

4) dnsmasq process for DNS server does not resolve local LAN hostnames

Of these, #4 above is the most critical bug, that they do not appear to want to fix as I have had it open for 11 months!

Message 13 of 68
FURRYe38
Guru

Well heres the relase notes:

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the attached device list incomplete issue

This is all...

Well someone mentioned that NG was only going to auto push MAJOR FW versions to users systems. While leaving MINOR Updates up to users to manually install when there systems let them know that a FW was available. I don't know if this is a Major or Minor. Seems Minor at best and why NG auto pushed it, I have no idea. Possible the change was not critical enough or should break anything that they chose to auto push it. 

Not sure if one hand knows what the other is doing possibly. 

@CrimpOn wrote:

@crvance003 wrote:

• The Orbi app?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 14 of 68
omolko
Aspirant

Hi everybody

I wanted to know if I could save the name I put on my connectected object, not to loose them with the last update?

thanks

Message 15 of 68
FURRYe38
Guru

A bit too early to know if you'll see any changes or differences if you set a custom name and if it will save. Something to try out. 
You can save a backup configuration to file for safe keeping if what you have loaded now. 

@omolko wrote:

Hi everybody

I wanted to know if I could save the name I put on my connectected object, not to loose them with the last update?

thanks

Message 16 of 68
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

The Android App is currently broken for changing device icons, but for me it allows changing the device names.  I suggest using the web interface at http://orbilogin.net to change device names and icons, as the smartphone apps have been buggy and still do not support all the features of the web interface.

@omolko wrote:

Hi everybody

thanks

Message 17 of 68
cdzo72
Apprentice

At least y'all are getting updates. In the year I've had my Orbi not once has it updated. I have to do it manually
Message 18 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

hi,

Although my answer isn't specifically directed to your question, I have recently update to V2.5.1.16

Firstly, for me there have been no updates automatically for the V2.5.1 series - I have done them manually myself.

Yesterday [28 April 2020] I download the zip files for RBS50 & RBR50.

It's good practice to update your satellite Orbi devices first [I only have the 1 satellite].

The manual update for RBS50 & RBR 50 went without a problem.

On my Android phone I'm running VV2.4.25.962

The Device Manager is display the devices with the appropriate icons.

All seems OK

My only problem in recent weeks has been the RBR50 deciding to reboot - which isn't great as there are a few of us trying to work from home.

Has anyone else had this reboot issue lately?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 19 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The best policy is to do nothing 

If your system needs an update Netgear will push it automatically. No action required on your part

this is especially true if your system is working 

leave it alone 

ive been on the same firmware for 6 months 

Message 20 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for your response.  I was hopeful that my latest upgrade may help with the rebooting of the RBR50 that I've been experiencing lately.  I'm really not sure what could be causing it.  The only change is that there are 2 of us working from home, so the load would be more than normal.

Message 21 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

May I ask what firmware revision you have installed?

Message 22 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Retired_Member wrote:

May I ask what firmware revision you have installed?

V2.3.5.30

Message 23 of 68
cdzo72
Apprentice

Unfortunately what Netgear decides as working many times is far from acceptable. Several bug fixes THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO ME like the device naming and icon issue are very important to me and those issues have been addressed with the last updates, BUT Netgear did not push them to my Orbi. ALSO, leaving devices to update themselves can pose serious security risks because updates may contain security fixes as well. So your answer may be meant for the noob that is better off not touching their equipment. I prefer to stay up to date and demand that Netgear remain on the ball. 

Message 24 of 68
cdzo72
Apprentice

With firmware that old you shouldn't even be allowed to comment on a topic. Firmware that old is riddled with bugs... DHCP reservations going haywire, reboots, device naming... you name it... so there is NO WAY you can comment on issues I have with v2.5.1.16

Message 25 of 68
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 67 replies
  • 26 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7