Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RSR50 firmware 2.5.1.16

Mooose
Luminary

@Retired_Member wrote:

The best policy is to do nothing 

I typically adhere to "if it ain't broke", but not when it comes to devices connected to the Internet, especially not for something as central as a router and/or there's something about security fixes in the release notes.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect significant new issues with every release, and it is certainly not reasonable to expect to need to do a factory reset every now and then.

Message 26 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@cdzo72 wrote:

With firmware that old you shouldn't even be allowed to comment on a topic. Firmware that old is riddled with bugs... DHCP reservations going haywire, reboots, device naming... you name it... so there is NO WAY you can comment on issues I have with v2.5.1.16

wow.....well according to NG support & the moderators here (perhaps you should ask them yourself) the updates that contain major security updates are pushed automatically.  

From my experiences here over several years, the majority of folks who run into firmware issues are those that performed manual updates.  As in, their system was running fine and for some reason they couldn't resist updating on their own.

I've also seen cases here where NG will offer a firmware to manual users only to keep tweaking it (version number doesn't change) then after all the bugs are worked out, it is determined to be safe and pushed auto.  So many are participating in a beta group and don't even know it.

My system works fine for I don't go looking for trouble.

Message 27 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Mooose wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

The best policy is to do nothing 

I typically adhere to "if it ain't broke", but not when it comes to devices connected to the Internet, especially not for something as central as a router and/or there's something about security fixes in the release notes.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect significant new issues with every release, and it is certainly not reasonable to expect to need to do a factory reset every now and then.

I consider myself just one user, one voice.  The choice is yours.  

You can always perform a simple search on any firmware and see for yourself the track history, and while doing that pay close attention to the number of folks who performed the update manually.  

Message 28 of 68
cdzo72
Apprentice

Sorry to tell you that that PUSH of updates has not happened. ALSO, as I stated earlier, what I deem important may not be the same as what Netgear deems important. If I were still running the firmware that you  are using, I could not name my devices nor could I assign reliable DHCP addresses. Those 2 things are extremely important to me in a home where I have almost 60 devices. So as I said, YOU should not even be a part of this conversation Vajim because YOU do not use the features I use and thus are not experiencing the issues I experience.

Message 29 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@cdzo72 wrote:

Sorry to tell you that that PUSH of updates has not happened. ALSO, as I stated earlier, what I deem important may not be the same as what Netgear deems important. If I were still running the firmware that you  are using, I could not name my devices nor could I assign reliable DHCP addresses. Those 2 things are extremely important to me in a home where I have almost 60 devices. So as I said, YOU should not even be a part of this conversation Vajim because YOU do not use the features I use and thus are not experiencing the issues I experience.

ok...well don't get mad.  I'm a part of this conversation because in the nature of the community, I'm just another opinion.  If you don't like what I have to offer scroll on.

If what you deem important and what NG deems important are different then perhaps you should look for a different router..???

OBTW..............PUSH of updates DO happen.  

But keep on keeping on...you'll be fine.

Message 30 of 68
FURRYe38
Guru

This is it best and recommended method to manually update your system. Ensures your RBS and RBR are updated properly when doing manual updates. How I update my system. Works well. Been doing updates this way for years. Zero problems using this method. Yes, update the RBS first then RBR lastly. 

Too many problems with the auto update method. I and others have not see any problems with manual updates. Is thes Auto update thru the RBRs web page what seems to cuase problems. Manually downloading FW files and applying them your self is the BEST method to ensure the systems is updates properly. A search of this feature will reveal problems with it. Been a long on going problem for NG. 

What version of Orbi do you have v1 or v2? Seen a couple of posts with reboot issues for users using v2 systems...

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@Retired_Member wrote:

hi,

Although my answer isn't specifically directed to your question, I have recently update to V2.5.1.16

Firstly, for me there have been no updates automatically for the V2.5.1 series - I have done them manually myself.

Yesterday [28 April 2020] I download the zip files for RBS50 & RBR50.

It's good practice to update your satellite Orbi devices first [I only have the 1 satellite].

The manual update for RBS50 & RBR 50 went without a problem.

On my Android phone I'm running VV2.4.25.962

The Device Manager is display the devices with the appropriate icons.

All seems OK

My only problem in recent weeks has been the RBR50 deciding to reboot - which isn't great as there are a few of us trying to work from home.

Has anyone else had this reboot issue lately?

Message 31 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Zero problems using this method.

Don't see how this is true.  A search will reveal otherwise.

Message 32 of 68
cdzo72
Apprentice

I assure you that anything you do won't get me mad, ignorance such as yours is not worth getting bent out of shape about. Your attitude is such as it is for tech support and moderators the world around... if it works for you then it must be working for everyone. People like you should find something else to do because you lack the ability to understand that other people use things differently than you do and in doing so run across different issues. Leave it alone is not an option for a company... they offer a feature, it should work, hands down, no exceptions. I'll keep on keeping on and I'll definitely keep on blasting people like you as like as I breathe.

OBTW... PUSH UPDATES DO NOT WORK FOR ME, never have received one

Message 33 of 68
FURRYe38
Guru

I know you may have mentioned this before, what is the mfr and model# of your ISP Modem? 

@cdzo72 wrote:

Message 34 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@cdzo72 wrote:

. if it works for you then it must be working for everyone. 

That would be my friend Furry

You might want to check your Orbi is configured.  There is a auto update on/off switch as far as I know.  But then again they might not be pushed as often and as quickly as you feel necessary.

But look....at the end of the date, you can keep performing all the manual updates as you choose if that's what makes you happy.

Message 35 of 68
cdzo72
Apprentice

I have two ISP FTTH connections in my home, neither of them supply me with a modem, just the EPON ONU units which feed directly into an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite 3 which handles the dual wan setup.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 36 of 68
cdzo72
Apprentice

Fortunately, I'm not so dense as to comment on not receiving automatic firmware updates without making sure that the auto update feature isn't enabled on my Orbi.

Message 37 of 68
FURRYe38
Guru

Is the Orbi in AP mode or router mode behind your Edge router. The Edge router could be a cuase of not getting auto updates. 
You can put the RBR in the Edge routers DMZ and then see if it gets any status then. If in AP mode behind the Edge router, auto updates should be seen unless the Edge router isn't passing thru update information correctly.

Auto updates isn't something you can enable or disable. It's enabled by default. User can block it I believe.

Some ideas here...

@cdzo72 wrote:

I have two ISP FTTH connections in my home, neither of them supply me with a modem, just the EPON ONU units which feed directly into an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite 3 which handles the dual wan setup.

Message 38 of 68
cdzo72
Apprentice

Orbi is not in AP mode. It would lose 75% of its usefulness by losing Disney Circle and Netgear Armor functionality, which is the only reason I bought it. There are FAR SUPERIOR mesh systems out there by Linksys and Unifi which I'll be switching to as soon as they integrate some type of parental controls that I can use within their same app.

It's never really occurred to me that the EdgeRouter could be causing an issue. I have the firewall disable and the nat is setup to masquerade directly as the Orbi to avoid double NAT problems. I live in Costa Rica so I have to use a Smart DNS Proxy service to have access to Hulu, Netflix USA content, Amazon Prime USA content, Sony servers, Crackle, and a whole slew of others. If double NAT or firewall were an issue, none of those services would work... BUT I acknowledge that the notion can't be discarded...

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 39 of 68
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible there is some network routing issues for the region you in as well. Ya, possible cause could be your Edge router. DMZ or connecting the RBR directly to your ONT could reveal something as well. Something to try out when you get some time. Auto updates are seen with mine. However my RBR connects directly to an ISP Modem. I've even seen them appear while behind another router in double nat condition. I use the DMZ in these configurations. 

@cdzo72 wrote:

Orbi is not in AP mode. It would lose 75% of its usefulness by losing Disney Circle and Netgear Armor functionality, which is the only reason I bought it. There are FAR SUPERIOR mesh systems out there by Linksys and Unifi which I'll be switching to as soon as they integrate some type of parental controls that I can use within their same app.

It's never really occurred to me that the EdgeRouter could be causing an issue. I have the firewall disable and the nat is setup to masquerade directly as the Orbi to avoid double NAT problems. I live in Costa Rica so I have to use a Smart DNS Proxy service to have access to Hulu, Netflix USA content, Amazon Prime USA content, Sony servers, Crackle, and a whole slew of others. If double NAT or firewall were an issue, none of those services would work... BUT I acknowledge that the notion can't be discarded...

Message 40 of 68
Wire1852
Apprentice

OK... The new firmware has been out for 12 days or more.

Have any issues be reported for this update that multiple people have seen/reported?

Is there really a setting switch users can set to turn off/on the auto update? I have a RBR50 & I don't see it when logged into the router with web browser & the auto update doesn't show

2.5.1.16. I'm currently using 2.5.1.8.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 41 of 68
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the mfr and model# of your ISP modem? Built in router here by chance? 

Best and Hightly recommended method is to manually download and install the update to the RBS first then RBR lastly if you choose to update. 

I've seen zero issues with it. Others haven't reported any issues other than not seeing it in the auto update which NG maybe choosing not to put out on the auto update since this is a minor FW update and not a major one. 

First manually download the RBS and RBR FW files from here.

http://kb.netgear.com/en_US/000061838/

Unpack the FW from the .zip files.

Use a wired PC for this process. Safari(Mac), IE11, Firefox or Opera browsers are recommended.

Then send the RBR FW file lastly.

Factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. After makeing sure the system works after setting up, be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. This saves time if a reset is needed again.

I recommend keeping this method, as it's a proven method I and others have been using for years to update router FW.

You don't have to update either. 

@Wire1852 wrote:

Have any issues be reported for this update that multiple people have seen/reported?

Is there really a setting switch users can set to turn off/on the auto update? I have a RBR50 & I don't see it when logged into the router with web browser & the auto update doesn't show

Message 42 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Wire1852 wrote:

at this point, after checking again, i didn't see it either, which must mean NG pushes ALL auto updates.  I did see where you can check for updates and my poor old 6 month firmware came back and said NO new updates available.  Imagine that

Message 43 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

manual updates NOT recommended

Message 44 of 68
cdzo72
Apprentice

YOU REALLY NEED TO STOP PUSHING THAT. You just said that you tried to check for updates and your 6 month old firmware THAT IS BUG RIDDEN doesn't come up with an update, THAT IN ITSELF shows the fault in YOUR perspective and advice AS WELL an Netgear's difference in what is important. 

As I stated earlier, with the old firmware that you run, I cannot name devices, much less assign DHCP reservations. Disney Circle won't detect on the system half the time, Netgear Armor wreaks havoc on everything and the list goes on. You must not be using any of that to say that manual updates shouldn't be done. Were it not for manual updates I would thrown my Orbi in the trash and gone to Unifi or Linksys months ago.

Ignorant people like you should be banned!

Message 45 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

scroll on is your friend

Message 46 of 68
cdzo72
Apprentice

Sorry STUPIDJim, I'm not built that way. Trolls such as yourself need to be called out for what you are. 

Message 47 of 68
Wire1852
Apprentice

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Comcast ARRIS TG3482G router with their wifi turned off

----------------------

I know how to do a manual update but so far I see no reason to do it for 2.5.1.16. If Netgear isn't indicating it should be updated why should I make my system a guinea pig?

BTW: I'm still waiting for the fix to Netgear/Orbi security certificate update screwup from Aug 2019. Making a fake certificate is not a fix. 

Message 48 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Wire1852 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

----------------------

I know how to do a manual update but so far I see no reason to do it for 2.5.1.16. If Netgear isn't indicating it should be updated why should I make my system a guinea pig?

BTW: I'm still waiting for the fix to Netgear/Orbi security update screwup from Aug 2019. Making a fake certificate is not a fix. 

wise decision.  

Like me, go and enjoy your Orbi.  There are too many things in life to worry about.  

As a side note....most of these great firmware updates (even the one I currently have) were at one point riddled with problems.  Over time and with the help of all my manual update firends, NG figured out how to make it stable.  Then it was declared ready for prime time.

Thanks for your position.

Message 49 of 68
FURRYe38
Guru

Also read the release notes for each update as well. Based on what is in the release notes can help you decide to update or not. 

Also your ISP Modem is a Gateway modem/router, so even though you turned off the wifi radios, your still in a double NAT condition which can cause auto update to not work correctly:

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT

The certificate is only to make web browsers happy that for those wanting HTTPS with the UI. This really isn't a factor since this only applies to the LAN side of the router when using the management page. Unless someone nefarious is with in your LAN side trying to do something nefarious, then HTTPS or HTTP can be used either way. I've never seen any problems with HTTP with routers management pages since starting to work with them many moons ago. 

If the certificate is something important to you then you should file a support ticket and let NG know of your concerns.

It's up to you if you want to update or not. You can always revert back.

Any router, NG or non NG, we are all guinea pigs when it comes to routers and wifi devices and FW version. Been like this since the beginning. Same with Apple and Microsoft OS. 

Good Luck. 

@Wire1852 wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

----------------------

BTW: I'm still waiting for the fix to Netgear/Orbi security certificate update screwup from Aug 2019. Making a fake certificate is not a fix. 

Message 50 of 68
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 67 replies
  • 26 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7