Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi RSR50 firmware 2.5.1.16

Retired_Member
Not applicable

You may be a guinea pig, but I am not.

Be there done that

Message 51 of 68
Wire1852
Apprentice

As usual Furry's answer to something means nothing. You can only buy support within 1st 90 days from purchase.

From Netgear...

The Extended Warranty and Extended Warranty and Support plans only apply to supported NETGEAR products purchased from an authorized NETGEAR reseller. Available to any new or existing customers (US only) within 90 days of product purchase.

___

I have had Orbi for a little over a year. I won't buy Orbi in the future specifically because of how Orbi is mis-handling software updates and not interacting directly with their customers.

-----------------------

@FURRYe38 wrote:

If the certificate is something important to you then you should file a support ticket and let NG know of your concerns.

Message 52 of 68
BoilerPlate
Apprentice

As usual incompetence and ingorance rears his ugly head. His profile history is telling of this and just how usless he is in the forums. He's been called out many times before. Users should be aware of him and avoid him and his incorrect and flawed information. There are users to get help from that are more trustworthy. Being in the forums since 2017 isn't a long time. Trolliing for that long is. He has no idea of what he does or talks about. Users need to avoid this user period!!! The forums are here to get good accurate and honest information. Not to critisize others or how they help users. He needs to move and scroll on.

@cdzo72 wrote:

Sorry STUPIDJim, I'm not built that way. Trolls such as yourself need to be called out for what you are. 

Message 53 of 68
PSUHammer
Luminary

Oooohkay.  Back to our regularly scheduled programming!

Can someone comment on whether this new firmware has any impact on Disney Circle?  The .8 firmware broke Circle for a lot of people.  I would need to manually install this firmware as it isn't showing as avaialble yet on auto update.

Message 54 of 68
cdzo72
Apprentice

Disney Circle and Netgear Armor are working just fine for me.

But oh no, you can't dare manually update to .16 because it may cause the world to crumble, according to VAJim
Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 55 of 68
PSUHammer
Luminary

So, I manually updated to 2.5.1.16 and Circle has been enabled for 12 hours with no issue.  Hopefully things have been resolved??!!!   Fingers crossed.

The manual update controversy is silly.  I have manually updated firmware for all kinds of devices over the years.  More often than not "auto update" functions sporadically work.

Message 56 of 68
Mooose
Luminary

@PSUHammer wrote:

The manual update controversy is silly.

There's all sorts of voodoo regarding Orbi. Factory reset after update, fiddling with settings, daisy-chain this, beamforming that. The problem is that some things seem to work for some people and if they're vocal enough about it becomes the truth. If the system worked consistently and as expected there would be a lot less witchcraft to deal with.

Message 57 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Mooose wrote:

@PSUHammer wrote:

The manual update controversy is silly.

There's all sorts of voodoo regarding Orbi. Factory reset after update, fiddling with settings, daisy-chain this, beamforming that. The problem is that some things seem to work for some people and if they're vocal enough about it becomes the truth. If the system worked consistently and as expected there would be a lot less witchcraft to deal with.

I agee with all of this

My only heartburn (if you will) is those that insist on performing a manual update for no real reason.  Their system is working, no problems, they possibly are looking for some enhancement, speed, etc.  NG claims that security enhancements are handled by auto push.  Then after they perfom this manual update, problems pop up and they end up in here keeping all the gurus busy.

Then of course there's NG who advertises that we are all recommned to perform manual updates, however they can not or will not guarantee that the newest firmware update will not cause any problems.  

If folks want to perform manual updates, that's their business.  I guess in my case, after confirming it was a matter of breaking their own system, I'll have to shift from trying to help to just shaking my head.

Message 58 of 68
Wire1852
Apprentice

At this point I'm only updating the firmware if I get an security update email from Netgear security to install a specific release. The last one was for 2.5.1.8 in March. 

If Netgear posts a new firmware update on their website, it's nothing more than a beta release until you receive email from Netgear security indicating a security update & to install it. 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 59 of 68
CrimpOn
Guru

My memory is not all that great these day, but I have a pretty strong recollection that when I went through the entire message, there was a comment that firmware "prior to 2.3.5.30" was at risk for the Orbi RBR50 product.  i.e. that 2.5.1.8 was not "required" as a security measure.  I believe that Netgear's press release was in response to publicity that "millions" of home routers were at risk from almost every brand, including Netgear.

Message 60 of 68
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe this would be what you refer too:

https://www.welivesecurity.com/2020/02/26/krook-serious-vulnerability-affected-encryption-billion-wi...

Also for any FW thats on NG download site is NOT beta. These are all RELEASE versions of FW. 

There is a beta forum for NG which NG does post beta versions of FW for those who are interested or want to live on the "edge". Smiley Very Happy

Message 61 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Also for any FW thats on NG download site is NOT beta.

That's debatable

Message 62 of 68
PSUHammer
Luminary

Firmware does not always = Security fixes.  They also enhance, update or fix features (and, yes, also occasionaly break them).  So, if Netgear decides to only "auto" push security related releases, great.  Maybe they leave manual releases for features.

That said, the argument for or against manual updates is ridiculous.  If Netgear was not going to support or release them, they wouldn't post the files for download on their support site.

That said, do whatever makes you the most comfortable.

Message 63 of 68
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@PSUHammer wrote:

Firmware does not always = Security fixes.  They also enhance, update or fix features (and, yes, also occasionaly break them).  So, if Netgear decides to only "auto" push security related releases, great.  Maybe they leave manual releases for features.

That said, the argument for or against manual updates is ridiculous.  If Netgear was not going to support or release them, they wouldn't post the files for download on their support site.

That said, do whatever makes you the most comfortable.

agree.....I've said this before after realizing the hundreds of ways folks run their home network, (switches, dual modem/routers, etc) that's the hard part with FW is just that.  Trying to make it so it works for all.  Probably not possible.  I've seen more cases where a FW will fix one problem while creating another.  At some point they must feel the FW is ready at best guess.  Then once released and they see the problems, it's either retracted or another version is quickly released.  The part that I'm sttill trying to understand is how or what makes up the decision to make a piece of FW go auto?  From where I sit, it looks like more of a case where, hey that guy is too far behind lets go auto push him so he's at least up to this date...??

Please keep in mind, NG used to push all FW. No debate.... Then folks complained.  So now we are where we are.  

But I agree with this statment................do whatever makes you the most comfortable

whille I add,.....do so at your own risk, epecially if your system was humming along fine.

Message 64 of 68
cdzo72
Apprentice

NO, that's pretty much a FACT. Beta releases are only given out to chosen beta testers. Someone may get their hands on a beta that's not a tester, that's a whole other can of worms though.

VAJim you should just quietly exit stage because the dribble you spew is largely useless and unfounded. Just because you're a sheep and scared to think freely for yourself and not explore the boundaries of what your device can do doesn't mean you have to push it on others.

Forums are more for people looking for help,  not people telling them they that if they hadn't done X, then you wouldn't be having problems.

Message 65 of 68
CrimpOn
Guru

@Wire1852 wrote:

From Netgear...

The Extended Warranty and Extended Warranty and Support plans only apply to supported NETGEAR products purchased from an authorized NETGEAR reseller. Available to any new or existing customers (US only) within 90 days of product purchase.

Perhaps there is confusion over the term "support".  I believe the above statement is correct.  Most vendors offer "extended warranty" as long as it is purchased within a certain time after initial purchase.  (Typically before the original warranty expires.)  Otherwise, what is to stop a customer from having their (oven, auto, camera,... whatever) break well after the warranty expired and instead of dealing with the problem, they decide to purchase a warranty "extension" and then mysteriously have the item break shortly after?  Netgear offers to talk to us for 90 days and offers to extend the period if we pay them. (Just like my car dealer, only the car warranty is more like 24 months.)

Netgear steers customers who want to purchase support (not warranty) to a subsidiary called GearHead.

https://gearhead.netgear.com/ 

I am "too cheap" to pay for support, so I have not signed up.  On the GearHead web site, I see nothing about support purchases being time-limited.

"support" and "warranty" are two different things.

Message 66 of 68
Wire1852
Apprentice

@CrimpOn wrote:

Netgear steers customers who want to purchase support (not warranty) to a subsidiary called GearHead. https://gearhead.netgear.com/ 

$160 a year for support.  

Comcast Wifi is looking better & better,

Message 67 of 68
bpanagio
Guide

I totally agree with this. This goes with any update to any piece of equipment. Why touch it if it's not broken? It could introduce a whole new realm of issues to you that you usually want to steer clear of. For me, unless there's something specifically called out in the release notes that I will benefit from, or a fix I am waiting for - I don't update.

Message 68 of 68
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 67 replies
  • 26 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7