Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Remote Access with Alexa

pralfano
Aspirant

Orbi Remote Access with Alexa

How do I setup remote access with Alexa?

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Have you already setup Alexa to work with Orbi using the following steps:
To enable the NETGEAR skill:
1. Enable remote management on your router, use the Orbi app to enable remote management.
2. Enable the NETGEAR skill in the Alexa app.
3. When the Alexa app prompts you to sign in, use the same NETGEAR account credentials that you previously used in Orbi app.

Once you have done that Alexa will have remote access to Orbi and you will be able to control Orbi when at home or remotely.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Have you already setup Alexa to work with Orbi using the following steps:
To enable the NETGEAR skill:
1. Enable remote management on your router, use the Orbi app to enable remote management.
2. Enable the NETGEAR skill in the Alexa app.
3. When the Alexa app prompts you to sign in, use the same NETGEAR account credentials that you previously used in Orbi app.

Once you have done that Alexa will have remote access to Orbi and you will be able to control Orbi when at home or remotely.
Message 2 of 14
Koceto
Aspirant

Hello Ekhalil,

Can you please tell me if you need evry time to say “ Alexa Tell Orbi to……..(and then the command)

I see that some routers are controlled with those words “Tell…. and then router name..And then the command”

Is Orbi controlled like that or is the ordinary way saying only “Alexa, switch of my bedrooms lamps” for example?

Message 3 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@Koceto wrote:

.......Can you please tell me if you need evry time to say “ Alexa Tell Orbi to……..(and then the command)

I see that some routers are controlled with those words “Tell…. and then router name..And then the command”

Is Orbi controlled like that or is the ordinary way saying only “Alexa, switch of my bedrooms lamps” for example?

I don't have Alexa but have Google Home devices. I need to say "Hej Google, ask Netgear to ..... (then the command)".

I also have Harmony (TV remote hub) integrated with Google Home, and for Harmony I used to say "Hej Google, ask Harmony to ..... (then the command,)" but recently Harmony did an update and I now can say "Hej Google, ...... (then the command)" directly, so I hope that Netgear will also do an update to it's Alexa and Google skills to be able to do this shortcut.

Message 4 of 14
pralfano
Aspirant

I do NOT need to ask Alexa to ask ORBI to command.  I can just say "Alexa, turn on the bedroom lights."

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@pralfano wrote:

I do NOT need to ask Alexa to ask ORBI to command.  I can just say "Alexa, turn on the bedroom lights."

This depends on the level of integration of the service or application with Google Home or Alexa, for some service you can just say "Alexa do this" but for other apps you still need to say "Alexa, ask "app" to do this". The same goes for "Hey Google"

Message 6 of 14
Koceto
Aspirant

Thanks guys.

I got it now. I thought that this depends on what model router you buying, but obviously is not like that. It depends on how much each brand is integrated if I got it correct. I will prefer to skip the part when I need to say "Alexa tell Netgear......and then the command ". So that's what I wanted to make clear. Is any other model more integrated into Alexa or all models in that Brand are in the same level. So then I can go and buy the one which I prefer as Orbi RBK 50 AC3000.
Message 7 of 14
Chuck_M
Mentor

Let us know if you need help configuring once you got your router.  BTW, what is the make/model of your cable modem, who is your interenet provider and do you have any switches in your home's network architecture?

Message 8 of 14
Koceto
Aspirant

Hello Chuck_M,

I don't have any switches in my flat and the Internet provider probably won't be known because I leave in Bulgaria and it is a Local ISP. But they are having good quality Internet through Fiber Optic Cable. I don't know the model of the modem and I won't be back home soon to see it but I can always change it if I require because the ISP is giving me few options for the modem. Is it anything specific which is good to be used with RBK 50?
Message 9 of 14
ekhalil
Master

@Koceto wrote:
......... I don't know the model of the modem and I won't be back home soon to see it but I can always change it if I require because the ISP is giving me few options for the modem. Is it anything specific which is good to be used with RBK 50?

Ask them to give you a modem without any routing capability since you will have your own router (the Orbi). The ISP will like this since this should be the cheapest option for them :). For you, you will avoid any routing conflicts in your network and you will be able to use all routing functionalities in Orbi.

Message 10 of 14
Chuck_M
Mentor

The major idea you need to remember is that if the ISP's modem is a modem/router combination, you will either have to use Orbi in the Access Point (AP) mode OR bridge the ISP's modem to passthrough all routing functions/responsibilities to Orbi.  You can only have one router in your local area network.

If you establish Orbi in an AP mode, you will lose some functionality -- although it is easier to set up.

Your ISP may provide you with a modem that has no router built in -- that would be an ideal situation.  In this case you would just plug in Orbi and configure! 

If your ISP cannot provide a modem without an embedded router, ask them if they can help you bridge that modem into passthrough mode.

If they say they cannot, then you still have some other configuration options, but they are less desirable.

Let us know how it goes!

Message 11 of 14
Koceto
Aspirant

Thanks for the advice ekhalil,

So after all I can go for any Orbi router and that is not related to how the commands to Alexa will be executed. I really don't want to say every time..."Alexa tell Netgear......" I wish to go directly for the command but how I understand that is not related to the model of the router. It is up to the Netgear software integration which can be with any type of router. Did I got it correct?
Message 12 of 14
Chuck_M
Mentor

Yes.   You are right.

The only alexa commands that would reference Orbi would be commands to do something to orbi like turn on or off the guest network.  These Orbi commands would only be there if you installed the Netgear skill into your Alexa.

All other Alexa commands dont care you have an Orbi...  so "Alexa, turn on the lights"

It does, however, run THROUGH orbi as a router within your architecture/network.

Message 13 of 14
Koceto
Aspirant

Thanks a lot!!!
Much appreciated!
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation