Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Router Able to access cPanel for 1 of my website, but not the other

Jarredd
Aspirant

Orbi Router Able to access cPanel for 1 of my website, but not the other

Hello! 

I have a couple of websites being hosted through inmotionhosting.com and have WordPress installed on them. On one website I can access the cPanel just fine through the backend. The other website I recently (last Monday or Tuesday) changed the primary domain on and since then, the cPanel does not work unless I type it in directly; I can no longer use the backend link.  I have spent a few hours attempting to resolve this with inmotion's tech support.  They say it is a local issue.  The 2083 port is not blocked by my ISP, and it works just fine for one URL, but not the other.

The backend link works if I am on another network (a separate wifi or my phone). It even works, at times, if I reset my Orbi router, but then it eventually stops working.  I receive the error that the server is taking too long to respond.  I do not have any firewalls currently enabled. I have not set up anything beyond the basics on the router.  This does appear to be a local network issue, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out what's going on.

• I receive this error whether I am using Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Safari.
  • I receive the error on both my PC (just did a fresh restore on it, have not installed any firewall/BitDefender) running Windows 10 and on my Macbook Pro.
  • I receive the error on both my Samsung Galaxy S9+ and iPhone 6s, both will load the link if on their 4G plan, but not if going through my home wifi network.
  • I can login to cpanel if I go to mydomain.com/cpanel

Router: RBR50 Orbi AC3000

Router Firmware Version: V2.3.1.60

Here is a link that should be working to even pull up the cPanel login page: https://secure256.inmotionhosting.com:2083/login/

Here is a screenshot of what I receive: https://prnt.sc/o2xagf

I've only had the router since March 10th, just outside of the 90 days for me to contact Netgear's tech support.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
Talk2Mike
Apprentice

I just noticed the modem you are using is a 4G LTE Modem. The default setting for this is router mode so unless you set the Orbi into AP mode you will have double NAT and the root of your problem. You can confirm this by connecting your PC directly to the modem (unplugging the Orbi).

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

Message 2 of 7
Jarredd
Aspirant

Hello!  

Thank you so much.  My Orbi system is setup in router mode with one satellite.
As stated in my original post for my Orbi setup,

Router: RBR50 Orbi AC3000

Router Firmware Version: V2.3.1.60

The modem being used is also a Netgear.  Model: LB1120

I want to confirm that this all works with other domains I own, it's just a problem with this one.

I found out tonight that I can also not load webmail. I receive the same sort of errors, even on other ports.  I'm not sure if there is an issue with the router and the specific server, but this is a recent problem.  It doesn't make any sense that there is a problem with just the one domain.  Ugh!

Message 3 of 7
Talk2Mike
Apprentice

What DNS servers are you using? If set to an ISP's servers I suggest you log into your Orbi and change it to another server, such as Google Public DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220), Cloudflare (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1), etc.

Message 4 of 7
Jarredd
Aspirant

I was using the ISP's servers. I just changed to one of Google's, one of OpenDNS's, and one of Cloudflare's.
I also used both DNS server addresses for each without mixing.
It is still not working.  I can still only access cPanel from a specific address and the webmail in cPanel doesn't function; I receive the same error that the server is not responding. 
This is totally baffling me, it makes no sense as to why it's only effecting one domain yet it's nothing on the host/domain's side.

Message 5 of 7
Talk2Mike
Apprentice

I just noticed the modem you are using is a 4G LTE Modem. The default setting for this is router mode so unless you set the Orbi into AP mode you will have double NAT and the root of your problem. You can confirm this by connecting your PC directly to the modem (unplugging the Orbi).

Message 6 of 7
Jarredd
Aspirant

Talk2Mike Thank you so much!  That fixed the issue.  It's odd that it would only effect one website/domain but none of the others.  I've been running with the orbi since March, I had an Asus router I was using before that since December with this modem.  This was the first time there had been any issues.  I can understand the double NAT being an issue; it hadn't occurred to me though.  

Thank you again, so much!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7