Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Router Access Control Problems (With Pictures)

Unverif1ed
Tutor

Orbi Router Access Control Problems (With Pictures)

Two nights ago my antivirus service detected numerous attempts to access my router that were not recognized. As a protection, it did something to block internet access temporarily (I think). Because for the next several hours I was without internet. Any attempt to access the internet and I would get an error message from Netgear (picture 1).

Now this morning, I get the same issue. So I try to log into the router, but I get the same screen (pic 1). I repeat this on other PC's to the same end. Then I try my phone, and am able to connect by logging into the router through my browser (despite the app not working).

When I get into the router, I notice it says no devices (and no satilites) connected. I have two satilites, but today neither will connect. So I go to what seems to be the root problem, Access Control. I promptly receive error code 500, which I think means that the device cant find it's own page at the indexed location. (Picture 2).

Then I go to blocking schedule, which I remember setting to 3am to 4am (so that I will remember to get a little sleep). It is now set to all day every day (pic 3). Mind you, while none of our computers can connect to the router, my personal computer it the only one without general internet access. The other computers can get in just fine.

As a last check, I confirm that there are indeed no devices attached in the advanced screen under device list. It shows no devices and no satilites. (Pic 4).

I also take note that my firmware is v2.7.3.22. (As seen in pics 2-4).

No I apply some standard fixes. I turn it off and on again. I try to sync a satalite. I ensure it's not a problem with my PC's network adapter. I power cycle my PC. Finally I do the dreaded task of doing an erase (factory reset) on my orbi. After it is set up again, I go to log in on my PC, and I get the same page. I log in successfully on my phone, but access control says the same thing. Error 500.

Do I just need to get a new Orbi at this point?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
Unverif1ed
Tutor

Re: Orbi Router Access Control Problems (With Pictures)

Pic 2
Message 2 of 9
Unverif1ed
Tutor

Pic 3
Message 3 of 9
Unverif1ed
Tutor

Pic 4
Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

And the schedule/access control survived the factory reset? 

did you have to go through the whole setup again? 

Message 5 of 9
Unverif1ed
Tutor

It doesn't make sense. I would have thought that the reset would purge any screwed up settings. But yes, I resetup my wifi so my mom could use zoom. And she has access now, but my PC is still blocked, and trying to get to the access control page in the router settings is still impossible. It's as if the router itself cant find the access control page, but it has somehow saved that my PC needs to be blocked (along with my dad's phone, both satilites, and my brother's PS4). But dad's laptop, mom's PC, and all of our other phones remain unaffected.
Message 6 of 9
Unverif1ed
Tutor

But even before I set up the wifi, my pc was still blocked
Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

are you able to access the access control list from any other device? 

Have you tried reloading the firmware to it? maybe something was corrupt in it? 

A factory reset is supposed to only remove settings but if something was corrupt, maybe its not doing so

Message 8 of 9
Unverif1ed
Tutor

Ok, must have been a firmware issue, because I can now get to the page, albeit it is the only page that takes almost a minute to load (53 seconds) and it will sometimes time out... But it works.

Almost...

I cannot disable access control (it hangs up if Uncheck the box) and I cannot unblock my pc (it shows as blocked, and If I go through the steps to unblock it, it will remain unblocked for a few seconds, and then automatically reblock it. Does this mean the fault is with the computer? Like some app trying to mess with the router in a way it's not supposed to? Or is this still a router issue?
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7