Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Router Already Registered

CelesteTheBest
Aspirant

Orbi Router Already Registered

I ordered a Orbi RBR50 from Amazon and when I went to set it up it asks me to register the router.  When I enter the serial number it says it's already registered.  Is there anything I can do so I can use this Router I bought?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

This appears to be a "problem" with Amazon returns.  They have no mechanism to "unregister" products.

What we usually recommend is sending a private message to one of the forum moderators, such as @Blanca_O with the information.

(Click on the link)

We mortals have no direct connection with anyone at Netgear, but the moderators do.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 11
schumaku
Guru

CrimpOn wrote:
This appears to be a "problem" with Amazon returns.

Not only - there is no hard "lock" between the effective Serial number. Users can almost "freeley" register any serial number on this non-sophisticated process:

NTGR Product Registration - free Serial Number input.PNG

Every human can do a typo, bad people might "steal" (from a retailers shelf) or simply guess serial numbers e.g. to gain support beyond of the complimentary technical support time. And I have not talked of script kiddies which might "register" and lock serial numbers...

Message 3 of 11

@CelesteTheBest wrote:

Is there anything I can do so I can use this Router I bought?

Is this in MyNetgear? Can you tell us what you want to achieve by registering the RBR50?

There is sometimes confusion as to what "registering" does and the various Netgear places where you can register to do things.

Message 4 of 11
CelesteTheBest
Aspirant

This is what I get when I try to register it on the website.  It appears that you can only register a serial once.  I emailed the email listed twice and I have not recieved a response or even an acknowlegement that I sent them an email.

Message 5 of 11

@CelesteTheBest wrote:

This is what I get when I try to register it on the website. 

Is that MyNetgear?

That is just one of several Netgear websites.

You never did say why you want to register the device.

Message 6 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

You never did say why you want to register the device.

Perhaps I read the first post incorrectly:

@CelesteTheBest wrote:

I ordered a Orbi RBR50 from Amazon and when I went to set it up it asks me to register the router.  When I enter the serial number it says it's already registered.  Is there anything I can do so I can use this Router I bought?

My guess is that the Orbi "app" wants to set up a link in the Netgear "Cloud" between the serial number and a Netgear customer account.  Those of us who purchased Orbi's before the app came out may not have experienced this situation.  Or, I could be completely incorrect.

Message 7 of 11

@CrimpOnMy guess is that the Orbi "app" wants to set up a link in the Netgear "Cloud" between the serial number and a Netgear customer account.  Those of us who purchased Orbi's before the app came out may not have experienced this situation.  Or, I could be completely incorrect.

Who knows? That is why I asked what is going on. You should not have to use a serial number, or register, to set this thing up.
Message 8 of 11
CrimpOn
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

You should not have to use a serial number, or register, to set this thing up.

Sometimes it seems to me that the community forum exists because of the gap between what "should be" and "what is."

Message 9 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@CrimpOn wrote:

@michaelkenward wrote:

You should not have to use a serial number, or register, to set this thing up.

Sometimes it seems to me that the community forum exists because of the gap between what "should be" and "what is."

To true. Where Netgear has taken the plunge and removed the "manual" registration in favour of a straight forward automatic enforced processes*, there are even more troubles and to many customers come to the community asking for help.

*Troubles are predictable for returned and resold, not properly refurbished, and second-hand units. Now this trend has swapped over to the Netgear SMB units - switches need a product registration (and need Internet access) to unlock the full feature set, devices managed before in another Netgear account can't be freed up without the assistance of the original owner, ... 

Message 10 of 11
Mason596
Aspirant

Orbi replaces your current WiFi router and connects to your high speed modem from your monthly Internet Service Provider. ... Yes, you need a modem. Orbi works with your existing gateway or modem.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7