Top Contributors
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

Orbi Router Auto Firmware Update Switch

Firmware-V48.png

To enable this hidden feature or make the switch visible,

try this:

1. Login to Orbi-ip/debug.htm, tick the enable telnet box, and then telnet into your Orbi Router

2. Edit /tmp/net-cgi.conf and replace nc_auto_upgrade_set "0" with "1"

For example: nc_auto_upgrade_set "0" -> nc_auto_upgrade_set "1"

3. Go to Firmware Update page, make a selection, and hit "APPLY"

This will trigger Orbi/Satellite to set its internal in-core hidden knobs respectively

4. Verify the result via config get orbi_auto_upg

orbi_auto_upg should say either:

1: Enable

0: Disable

To undo and make it hidden again, change "1" back to "0"

- or -

Reboot the Orbi router to get back the original default configs

Please note that the above change to /tmp/net-cgi.conf will be lost and will be reverted back to default upon Orbi reboot.  If you want to disable auto update on your Orbi after you've installed your favorite firmware version, you should repeat steps 2 and 3 above every time your Orbi reboots regardless of what orbi_auto_upg said, i.e. always hit the "APPLY" button once to activate this hidden feature.

Enjoy while it last or at least until NETGEAR allows us to!  :-)

Please share your experience!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 49
Highlighted
Master

Re: Orbi Router Auto Firmware Update Switch

Interesting.  Thanks for finding it.  Lost me at step 3.

@SW_ wrote:

This will trigger Orbi/Satellite to set its internal in-core hidden knobs respectively

On my Orbi, under Advanced->Administration->Firmware Update, there are two tabs: On-Line Update and Manual Update.  Neither has an "Apply" button.  These instructions may be perfectly clear to others, but I am too dense to "get it."

I love my Orbi.
Message 2 of 49
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@SW_ First off, thank you for spinning up a new thread. Second, this confirms that the NG Orbi product manager is intentionally suppressing the ability of the hardware to be controlled by the end user.
It seems at least for now control is only achieved by using telnet. And if I’m going to take the cautious route and factory reset after a firmware update, either method is the same. But it is nice to have both options available. Thanks.

Orbi RBK50 in AP mode, 100/20 Mbps VDSL2, Arris BGW210 gateway

Message 3 of 49
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

@CrimpOn wrote:

Interesting.  Thanks for finding it.  Lost me at step 3.

@SW_ wrote:

On my Orbi, under Advanced->Administration->Firmware Update, there are two tabs: On-Line Update and Manual Update.  Neither has an "Apply" button.  These instructions may be perfectly clear to others, but I am too dense to "get it."

After you make the change in step #2 and save the change, those two buttons along with both Enable/Disable switches should appear in the Firmware Online Update page.  You might have to use a 'vi' cmd or some text editor that you are comfortable with to edit/save the changes in step #2.

Don't worry about making mistakes while editing /tmp/net-cgi.conf file, a reboot will undo all the changes and will restore it back to default.  This file is always auto generated upon every reboot, therefore it's 100% safe even if you manage to screw up this file while editing it.

For example:

1. vi /tmp/net-cgi.conf

2. make the change, save the change, and exit vi

3. Now go to Firmware Update page and refresh that page

Message 4 of 49
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

wrote:

@SW_ First off, thank you for spinning up a new thread. Second, this confirms that the NG Orbi product manager is intentionally suppressing the ability of the hardware to be controlled by the end user.
It seems at least for now control is only achieved by using telnet. And if I’m going to take the cautious route and factory reset after a firmware update, either method is the same. But it is nice to have both options available. Thanks.

The hidden Orbi UI enable/disable switches is NOT the same as the telnet method, which sets a whole bunch of variables.  In fact, it's far from it.  If/When you discover the meaning of each of those variables that are being set via the telnet, you will understand the differences.

Message 5 of 49
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

Regarding the differences...

- nvram set auto_update=0

The auto_update flag/setting has nothing to do with Orbi firmware auto update.  The auto_update flag controls and affects QoS behaviors.  Unless you know what that flag means or what it's doing when set, it's best to leave it alone.

Just to give an example about the difference and the danger of telnet method.

Message 6 of 49
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

Just to give an analogy.

When you need to access the hidden telnet feature, you login to the hidden Orib debug.htm page.  Then you tick the telnet box.  Whenever your Orbi Router reboots, it will wipe out that change and you will lose the ability to telnet.  You will have to repeat the same steps all over again in order to re-enable telnet access.

Enabling this hidden section of the Firmware Update page is very similar to enabling hidden telnet access.  The difference here is that you don't have a box in debug.htm to tick, but you have to enable it via telnet.  Just like telnet, a reboot will wipe out the change and you will have to repeat the steps all over again.

If you are comfortable with enabling telnet, then this is in the same ball park.

Message 7 of 49
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Well, fine @SW_ . And you are correct to say I don’t know the meaning of those fields other than to infer function based on name as I don’t have access to the design spec.  I’d much rather prefer not have to resort to these measures, but I’m tired of waking up to a broken network after a firmware update.   

I’ll try your method next time I touch the Orbi.   Both the router and the satellite are on UPS so reboots are virtually nonexistent.  

Message 8 of 49
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

Hi @gr8sho ,

Yeah, I also prefer to not to have to resort to these measures.  Just like you, I didn't know what each of those variables means either.  When I peek under the cover, I'm very reluctant to set any of these persistent variables in NVRAM that could negatively impact Orbi function and performance.

For example:

• nvram set orbi_auto_upgrade=0
  • nvram set auto_check_for_upgrade=0
  • nvram set auto_update=0
  • nvram set orbi_auto_upg=0
  • nvram set orbi_auto_flag=0

What I'm able to find out thus far:

- orbi_auto_upgrade records timestamp

- auto_check_for_upgrade is actually a no-op.  Otherwise, new firmware version notification will never show up on firmware update page.

- auto_update controls QoS behaviors.

- orbi_auto_upg is controlled by Enabled/Disable radio switches via the hidden section of the firmware update page.

- orbi_auto_flag doesn't seem to exist and I couldn't find it anywhere in the firmware or its reference.  I don't know what it does.  Maybe someone knows.

After factory reset, type "config show | grep orbi_auto_flag" and see if it's there or not.  Repeat this for all the above varaibles.  I would not set any variable unless it exists.  Otherwise, it's best to avoid setting them.

I'm still learning about Orbi firmware internals.  Honestly, I don't know how these NVRAM settings would affect auto firmware update.  If someone knows what each of these variables and how it helps with auto firmware update, that would be awesome!  I would be happy to set them as well.

If these NVRAM settings work for your setup, there's no reason to change.

Good move on UPS, mine is also on UPS.  It's cheaper to replace the UPS than all the gears attached to it.

Message 9 of 49
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@SW_ wrote:

If these NVRAM settings work for your setup, there's no reason to change.

Good move on UPS, mine is also on UPS.  It's cheaper to replace the UPS than all the gears attached to it.

Fair enough.  Living in South Florida, one gambles too much not using UPS.

As for the NVRAM settings, it does appear they withstand device restarts, and the manual check and install of firmware works using the posted instructions for the 3 or 4 settings on the base.  I also applied similarly to the satellite but that might not have been necessary since I hadn't seen it mentioned elsewhere.  Nevertheless I'm good here with .44, but I also recognize I will eventually have to take another update and when that time comes, I'll end up doing this all over again.  I have very little confidence considering the age of the RBK50 that the policy to allow manual control will ever come to fruition.  Cheers

Message 10 of 49
Highlighted
Master

@SW_ wrote:

- orbi_auto_upg is controlled by Enabled/Disable radio switches via the hidden section of the firmware update page.

Yes, this is the telnet parameter that seems to control the firmware auto-update and what the radio switches found by @SW_ by editing the net-cgi.conf file control. These telnet changes are persistent after a restart if committed.

So if you don't want to edit the net-cgi.conf file, and want to get the advantage of not needing to make the changes after every system restart, then it should be enough to use the following telnet commands:

> config set orbi_auto_upg=0  (default is 1)

> config commit

My Setup Internet Fiber ONT 250↓/250↑ISP Telenor | Wifi Router Orbi RBK50 AC3000, Router Mode, Wired Backhaul / Orbi RBK852 AX6000, Router Mode, Wireless Backhaul | Switches Netgear GS208Time Zone CET (Sweden)

Message 11 of 49
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

Just to clarify about the need to re-edit /tmp/net-cgi.conf upon every reboot.  It's only needed if you want to see that hidden page again after each reboot/restart.  Hitting the "APPLY" button again upon reboot/restart will ensure that all other in-core/non-persistent hidden variable or Orbi internal auto update state will also be updated if there's any such hidden variable/state.

When you hit the "APPLY" button for the very first time, the change to orbi_auto_upg is persistent and it will survive across reboots/restarts.  It has the same effect as the telnet method that @ekhalil mentioned above.

From @gr8sho's experience, setting orbi_auto_upg=0 might be sufficient.  We'll find out soon enough when someone is able to share his/her experience.

Message 12 of 49
Highlighted
Guru

I'll give this a try since I still have access to an RBR50. Smiley Wink

My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK50/RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 13 of 49
Highlighted
Guru

I tried these commands. I had loaded v44 and set these commands. Connected to the internet and the RBR said it was downloading firwmare. Then Router Firmware Version V2.3.1.44

!A new firmware upgrade is available. Click here to get it appeared.
However it didn't seem to apply the update. Just said there was one avialable. After a few minutes I refreshed the page and the download changed to "Update failed".

@ekhalil wrote:

@SW_ wrote:

Yes, this is the telnet parameter that seems to control the firmware auto-update and what the radio switches found by @SW_ by editing the net-cgi.conf file control. These telnet changes are persistent after a restart if committed.

So if you don't want to edit the net-cgi.conf file, and want to get the advantage of not needing to make the changes after every system restart, then it should be enough to use the following telnet commands:

> config commit

Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK50/RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 14 of 49
Highlighted
Guru

What are you using to edit the conf file? 

@SW_ wrote:

Firmware-V48.png

To enable this hidden feature or make the switch visible,

try this:

1. Login to Orbi-ip/debug.htm, tick the enable telnet box, and then telnet into your Orbi Router

2. Edit /tmp/net-cgi.conf and replace nc_auto_upgrade_set "0" with "1"

For example: nc_auto_upgrade_set "0" -> nc_auto_upgrade_set "1"

4. Verify the result via config get orbi_auto_upg

orbi_auto_upg should say either:

1: Enable

0: Disable

To undo and make it hidden again, change "1" back to "0"

- or -

Reboot the Orbi router to get back the original default configs

Please note that the above change to /tmp/net-cgi.conf will be lost and will be reverted back to default upon Orbi reboot.  If you want to disable auto update on your Orbi after you've installed your favorite firmware version, you should repeat steps 2 and 3 above every time your Orbi reboots regardless of what orbi_auto_upg said, i.e. always hit the "APPLY" button once to activate this hidden feature.

Enjoy while it last or at least until NETGEAR allows us to!  :-)

Please share your experience!

Message 15 of 49
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What are you using to edit the conf file?

You can use 'vi' command to edit.  Here are few steps:

1) vi /tmp/net-cgi.conf <ENTER>

Now you are inside the file.  Search for nc_auto_upgrade_set by typing:

2) /auto_upgrade <ENTER>

This will bring the cursor to the right line. Now use the right arrow key to move the cursor to where the number "0" is, then type:

3) s1

This will replace 0 with 1

4) <ESC>

6) :wq <ENTER>

This will save the change and exit 'vi'

If you screw up, just hit <ESC> at any time and type :q! to exit.  Then try again.

That's all.  Good luck!

Message 16 of 49
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I tried these commands. I had loaded v44 and set these commands. Connected to the internet and the RBR said it was downloading firwmare. Then Router Firmware Version V2.3.1.44

!A new firmware upgrade is available. Click here to get it appeared.
However it didn't seem to apply the update. Just said there was one avialable. After a few minutes I refreshed the page and the download changed to "Update failed".

> config commit

Your experiment implies that auto-update is still happening automatically, but was stopped on its track, which is encouraging.  I'm now very interested to know the result of the Orbi UI method if "Update failed" message still shows up after you hit the "APPLY" button to disable auto-update.  please let us know!  :-)

Message 17 of 49
Highlighted
Guru

Ok, will try this out. Ya, seem to stop the FW from being updated, just still notified the user about that there was one so I presume AU still pings there update server. 

Message 18 of 49
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Interesting.  I too have the screen without the switch which offers a firmware update.  I naturually assumed that telling it to update would actually work.  Now I have my doubts based on what I see here.  Which means if I actually have intentions to peform an update, I'd try doing so from a manually downloaded file and if the update itself is still blocked, I'd factory reset both devices and put things back to default and try again.  Although all very cumbersome.  I do appreciate any and all experimentation.

Message 19 of 49
Highlighted
Guru

The modification only stops the Orbi from pulling down the FW to the router itself. It still checks the servers for updates. This mod doesn't effect manual update using files located on a PC. 

Message 20 of 49
Highlighted
Virtuoso

@FURRYe38 wrote:

The modification only stops the Orbi from pulling down the FW to the router itself. It still checks the servers for updates. This mod doesn't effect manual update using files located on a PC. 

I've probably lost track of which modifications we're taling about now.  However whether it's exposing the switch or blocking the auto upadate via NVRAM, I would have expected that selecting the command to perform the actual update would still work to do download and apply the update, not a failure.

Message 21 of 49
Highlighted
Guru

The modification of just inhibitinng the auto update and not exposing the buttons will cause the status to show a failure. The failure status just means that the router could not get the file pulled down for installation. Doesn't mean it can't install the update. 

Message 22 of 49
Highlighted
Virtuoso

Then I'd prefer to better understand what the various settings do.  I don't really care so much about the download.  I just don't want the new firmware applied unless I say so.

Message 23 of 49
Highlighted
Guru

The command I used just blocks the auto update from downloading any update. Manual updates are not effected. 

I'll be trying to enable the buttons this evening to see what I find. 

Message 24 of 49
Highlighted
Prodigy
Prodigy

From the original screen/picture, there wasn't a problem downloading the new firmware to the Router and all my Satellites.  As seen on that screen shot, the notification and new firmware version were all there along with the old firmware version.  What I should have done at the time was to wait a little longer to see if my system auto-updated.  Unfortunately, I didn't wait long enough and I hit the "Update All" button.   Everything was upgraded successfully as expecpted.

When you try this, please avoid repeating my mistake and hit the "Update All" button.  We want to know what happens next...

Message 25 of 49