Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Router Dropping Connection Daily

fredricr1
Aspirant

Orbi Router Dropping Connection Daily

My network (RBR50 router, RBS50 Sat and RBS50Y outdoor sat) have been functioning flawlessly for over a year.  About a week ago the router started losing it's connection to the internet - showed the magenta light on the Orbi app.  Lasts for about a minute then everything resumes.  This happens multliple times a day.  The only thing that's different is I had to replace the cable modem after my old one died (supplied by my ISP; modem = Arris TM3402A).  This was probably a month before this problem started.  The satelites, BTW, stay "green" in the app. 

I've rebooted the modem and Orbis.  I updated firmware on the Orbis.  Still doing it.

I've searched the forums and found a similar issue, but unfortunately the suggestions were a foreign language.  I hate to be "that guy" but does anyone have any suggestions in lay terms on how to trouble shoot and possibly fix?  

TIA.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Router Dropping Connection Daily

If the system was working up until the modem was changed, I would check the following with the modem:

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are not coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

Message 2 of 8
snagsc
Aspirant

I've been having this exact same issue the last 5 days. We have the same modem, had to replace it with the same a month ago as it went bad, and all has been working fine until 5 days ago. Every day the connect drops, eventually comes back. Repeats the next day. We changed our ethernet cable yesterday and so far all is good.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

If the system was working up until the modem was changed, I would check the following with the modem:

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are not coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

Message 4 of 8
snagsc
Aspirant

After the new modem was installed it all worked for nearly 3 weeks, no problems at all. Then suddenly router stopped working 5 days ago. Netgear support had me make a change re MAC spoofing and that worked for less than 24 hours. Then everyday after for 4 days the router would stop working usually each morning and no amount of restarting, rebooting, resetting of the router or modem would work until after a couple hours it would all just start working. Only to stop working, repeat, the following day. Changed Ethernet cable yesterday and so far all is good so I’m keeping fingers crossed it was maybe that simple. Thanks!
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version are you using currently on the Orbi system? 

@snagsc wrote:
After the new modem was installed it all worked for nearly 3 weeks, no problems at all. Then suddenly router stopped working 5 days ago. Netgear support had me make a change re MAC spoofing and that worked for less than 24 hours. Then everyday after for 4 days the router would stop working usually each morning and no amount of restarting, rebooting, resetting of the router or modem would work until after a couple hours it would all just start working. Only to stop working, repeat, the following day. Changed Ethernet cable yesterday and so far all is good so I’m keeping fingers crossed it was maybe that simple. Thanks!

Message 6 of 8
snagsc
Aspirant

It is V2.5.2.4. Just double checked and it looks like that's the most current version. 

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Actually this would be most recent:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

@snagsc wrote:

It is V2.5.2.4. Just double checked and it looks like that's the most current version. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7