Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Router Mac Address Cannot Change

btmi
Aspirant

Orbi Router Mac Address Cannot Change

With the current firmware (v2.5.1.8) any changes to the router MAC address via the option in the Internet Settings tab of the advanced configuration are saved but are not activated (the router MAC address does not change from the default).

I have to change the default MAC address because of a problem with Google maps which believes the router location is in a different city.

Anyone else experience this?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Router Mac Address Cannot Change

Just curious.  How did you verify that the router MAC address did not change?

And, how is it that Google Maps can infer a geographic location based on a MAC address?  A MAC address contains no "location" information.

Message 2 of 5
btmi
Aspirant

I am using a wifi sniffer to determine the mac address.

The Google maps problem is a known issue as Google has a database of wifi networks based on the mac address (as well as cell phone towers) to improve location efficiency.  So if you move your router from one place to another, it is likely that while connected to the wifi and outside GPS range it will default to the previous location which is a pain.  There is a procedure to report the issue, but according to other posters, changing the router mac address is the fastest and easiest solution.

I also just realised that the mac address I changed was the Internet mac address, not the router mac address which does not appear to be able to be changed.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Yes, you are correct.  The MAC address of individual Orbi radios cannot be changed by the user (as far as I know).

My guess is that this is one of those things that "time will iron out."

Message 4 of 5
btmi
Aspirant

I sure hope so.  It has been a month already and this is a major annoyance!  At least when I go to the other end of the house where I am on the Sattelite, everything returns to normal.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7