Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Router Modem CBR40 Coax only

HoChiPants
Follower

Orbi Router Modem CBR40 Coax only

I had Xfinity as my ISP but Google Fiber was just installed in our neighborhood and decided to switch to a better provider. Google Fiber just has ethernet connection, no coax. We were having tons of issues getting it set up and ended up just using Googles mesh system they offered but our orbi would do better. 

Does this model allow ethernet or just coax to be the internet input? would it be stupid to get an ethernet to coax connector? 

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Router Modem CBR40 Coax only

The CBR40 bundles a coax modem with the normal Orbi router/WiFi system.  It does not have the ability to connect to the internet through an ethernet cable.  (Why?  I have no idea.  Netgear LTE modems can connect to a regular ISP modem in addition to the LTE connection.  But, the RBR40 MUST have a cable coax connection.)

There is no 'adapter' that will convert fiber into coax. The choices are:

• Stick with the ISP provided Google mesh, or
  • Buy a new WiFi system (from anybody)
Message 2 of 4
plemans
Guru

@CrimpOn is right in that the CBR40 won't connect. But if you replace the CRB router part with a standard orbi router like the RBR20, RBR40, or RBR50, you can use the satellites that you have. I've seen them fairly cheap or even refurbished because people will buy a kit for the satellites and sell the router portion. 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi with Cable Modem products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi with Cable Modem and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-with-Built-in-Cable-Modem/bd-p/en-home-orbi-cable

Thank you.

@HoChiPants wrote:

I had Xfinity as my ISP but Google Fiber was just installed in our neighborhood and decided to switch to a better provider. Google Fiber just has ethernet connection, no coax. We were having tons of issues getting it set up and ended up just using Googles mesh system they offered but our orbi would do better. 

Does this model allow ethernet or just coax to be the internet input? would it be stupid to get an ethernet to coax connector? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7