Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Router (RBR50) & 1-Satellite (RBS50) Download Speeds

Brad21
Aspirant

Orbi Router (RBR50) & 1-Satellite (RBS50) Download Speeds

Orbi Satellite is connected with ethernet cable to Orbi router.  Satellite provides service in remote part of house.  Cable internet service provider says signal good to modem.  Speed check for each: router 240, satellite 94 download & 6 upload for both (these are consistent over several speed tests).  The speed for router and satellite are as above regardless whether connected using wifi or ethernet cable. 

Is the drop in satellite download speed normal?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Router (RBR50) & 1-Satellite (RBS50) Download Speeds

This does not sound "normal".  If you are comfortable with "computer stuff", you could check how the Orbi reports the backhaul connection.

• Enable telnet on the Orbi router.
    Open the page http://orbilogin.net/debug.htm
    Check the box "Enable Telnet"
  • Access the Orbi router with a telnet client program.
    Windows includes a telnet client that can be activated from the Control Panel, Programs & Features, Turn Windows Features On or Off. (Menu item on the left.)  I personally use the free PuTTY program because it is more convenient for frequent use.
    The Mac no longer includes a telnet program, but there are free programs available on the internet.
  • Telnet into the router using the IP address of the Orbi router.  My router is at 192.168.1.1, so I type:
    telnet 192.168.1.1
  • Type the command satelliteinfo wifi
  • My Orbi reports:
    root@RBR50:/# satelliteinfo wifi
    [
    {
    "mac address" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FA",
    "hop" : "1",
    "bridge mac" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FA",
    "backhaul conntype" : "5GHz",
    "backhaul rssi" : "-67",
    "backhaul macaddress" : "A0:04:60:0D:96:FD",
    "backhaul phytxrate" : "975",
    "backhaul phyrxrate" : "877",
    "backhaul parentmac" : "A0:04:60:1C:02:39"
    }
  • How does your Orbi report the link between router and satellite?
Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Be sure your wifi device is connected to the RBS and not the RBR. Turn OFF the devices wifi radio for 5 seconds then back when near the RBS. Then speed test. 

@Brad21 wrote:

Orbi Satellite is connected with ethernet cable to Orbi router.  Satellite provides service in remote part of house.  Cable internet service provider says signal good to modem.  Speed check for each: router 240, satellite 94 download & 6 upload for both (these are consistent over several speed tests).  The speed for router and satellite are as above regardless whether connected using wifi or ethernet cable. 

Is the drop in satellite download speed normal?

Thank you.

Message 3 of 5
Brad21
Aspirant

Crimpon:

Thank you for your response to my issue.  I'm not a computer guy, but I will try to see if I can do what you suggest.  The steps you gave me are very well explained.

Message 4 of 5
Brad21
Aspirant

FURRYe38:

Thank you for your response.  I will start working on getting answers to your questions and see if I can make some improvements.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7