Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Router and WiFi Channels

JohnH74
Aspirant

Orbi Router and WiFi Channels

my Sonos is not working and they have told me to change the Orbi channel as it is to congested. I cannot find an option to do this in the app. any pointers? thanks John
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

I would set the router to 11 and the Sonos to 1. Farthest part. 5 is a sub channel that is not a primary channel. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Log in to the Orbi router with a PC or Laptop and use a brower to connect at 192.168.1.1 and change the channels there. Can the sono's wifi broadcast be disabled or is this needed with this device. Change to channels 1, 6 or 11 on the router. 

Message 2 of 7
JohnH74
Aspirant

thanks, the Sonos mesh broadcasts on either 1, 6, or 11.
the Orbi was set to auto on 2.4ghz.
I have changed Orbi to 5 ( it had 1-13 to choose from)
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I would set the router to 11 and the Sonos to 1. Farthest part. 5 is a sub channel that is not a primary channel. 

Message 4 of 7
JohnH74
Aspirant

thanks, I changed again but Sonos on 11 and Orbi to 1 as Sonos said 11 was most congested channel. seems to be working.
almost got scammed by a popup chat on a Netgear website (probably a clone) who claimed to be from Netgear and wanted $400 to fix. beware! as you know, it was a simple fix, now I remember my log in details
Thanks
Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, should work now.

NO do not do that fake support site stuff.

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 7
thombe
Apprentice

Another idea : Move to Wifi setup and specify your Orbi channel.

I actually had similar issues, and ended up moving sonos to Wifi and not the sonos mesh.

I personally found way better results. Each to their own of course, but I ditched the Sonos Boost that I had purchased in an attempt to resolve disconnect issues. 

I have about 7 sonos items, now all running over the wifi rather than using the sonos mesh.

Oh I also recommend a wifi scanner/tool on your phone, to see what wifi networks are around and what channels they are on, so that you can set your orbi to a free channel.

(i use Wifi Commander or Wifi Tool on my wp10 but am sure there are others for other os phones)

Worked for me, no conflict with either neighbours or sonos.

Just a thought. Good luck.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7