Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Router does not play nice when pointed to internal DNS

funnystone64
Aspirant

Orbi Router does not play nice when pointed to internal DNS

I have an RBR40 Orbi router (somehow this was not an option under the models dropdown list). Before version V2.3.5.30, I could change the DNS under Advanced > setup > internet setup to point to my internal DNS server which is a raspberry pi running pihole. Everything would work great. Now when I attempt to do that, it looks like the router does not forward any requests to it. It says im no longer connected to the internet and none of the devies can resolve DNS queries. As soon as I put in a public DNS server like 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 everything starts working again with no issues. Does anyone else have a similar issue? If I manually change the DNS settings of 1 device like my Mac or iPhone to point to the pihole for their DNS server, they work without issues so I know it cant be an issue with the raspberry pi. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Router does not play nice when pointed to internal DNS

Loopback maybe something that is needed and is not supported by Orbi...

Message 2 of 6
funnystone64
Aspirant

Thats a damn shame considering it was working before the firmware update. Really dissapointed in Netgear for breaking functionality like this. 

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since the FW update? 

What version had been loaded that was working? Might try reverting back to that...

Message 4 of 6
funnystone64
Aspirant

Haven't done a factory reset but I have done a hard reboot (unplug from power, wait, plug back in). I would revent back to old firmware if I knew how to but even if I did I would rather not becasue I am sure I would be missing out on some security patches for the router itself. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Power cycle is not enough. I would factory reset and setup from scratch and see if the problem still appears. It it was working in prior FW and is not now,even after the reset, then you should file a support ticket and information NG about this:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7