Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Router doesn't Connect to Internet Out of the Box - Firmware update NEEDED!

psi931
Initiate

Orbi Router doesn't Connect to Internet Out of the Box - Firmware update NEEDED!

I bought my orbi router and had trouble getting it to connect to the internet. I called the cable company and they even said "we can see information passing from the router to the modem, I don't know why it's not working". I knew the problem was the router because the router I was replacing still worked just fine. I tried to find a clue as to what I was doing wrong online but it never occured to me that the firmware would be the issue, I thought even the very basic firmware should be able to connect to the internet so it can run an auto-update.

I was wrong. I did the firmware update manually and I connected to the internet immediately.

This brings me to the reason that I'm writing this post since I don't need help anymore. I had a hard time finding ideas of what might be wrong, people talking about resetting the modem (duh) and AP mode even Netgear.com was no help (did I mention reset the modem...?). Until I saw the firmware update tab in the router settings and thought its worth a try before calling netgear, and as I said it worked like a charm. But I figure there are some people out there who don't even know what firmware is let-alone how to download and manually update it. I want netgear to give a more comprehesive guide with the 'documentation' they send out which consists of essentially "unplug your modem and plug it back in" and then "connect your router". Not really helpful if it doesn't work, no mention of if you have trouble connecting to the internet update the firmware manually. Those people who are pulling there hair out trying different unplug and plug-in sequences have no chance, and it makes the so called 'easy setup' seem useless. All they need to provide is a web address for the firmware update, all the instructions are there online and I could have avoided hours (actually days I'm embarrassed to say) of deep contempt for netgear.

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere so I apologize if you've already written on the subject but I wanted to add my 2 cents.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi Router doesn't Connect to Internet Out of the Box - Firmware update NEEDED!

Hello Psi931

Here is article for anyone else having this same issues.

http://kb.netgear.com/31485/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-to-my-Orbi-Router?cid=wmt_netgear_org...

DarrenM

Message 2 of 13
Roger1234
Initiate

Re: Orbi Router doesn't Connect to Internet Out of the Box - Firmware update NEEDED!

What an awful product. I have had the same problems. Bought this to strengthen wifi in one room of my house and now I have wifi but no internet. Totally useless and the worst, most expensive product I've ever purchased. Very disappointed and it's going straight back to the place I bought it.
Message 3 of 13
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Roger1234

Can you explain more of the issues you are having we may be able to help you with the issues.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 13
Stings
Guide

And of course that link is broken too.

Message 5 of 13
Stings
Guide

Yes. My satellite units dont connect to eachother. The satellites only connect to the router not each other so i guess they aren't realy Mesh network devices. I also had an issue with the short  range of Orbi Router and Satellites. Realy short range and the Netgear Orbi units don't have a coax connector on the back so you could add a better antenna to extend the range.

After i had it all setup a few days later i had a brown out and the Router and Satelite units lost connection again. Instead of the Orbi router and  Satelite units just automatically connecting back together when the power cam back on, i had to start pressing the Sync buttons on the router then the Satelite units to get them to connect together again.

is there a new firmware patch for the Orbi units, Software to help install and maintain Orbi units, or at least a new model that has BNC Connectors on the back to add an extended antenna.

please send the link or software/firmware.

thanks

RB

Message 6 of 13

@Stings wrote:

Yes. My satellite units dont connect to eachother. The satellites only connect to the router not each other so i guess they aren't realy Mesh network devices

correct they are a star topology and are advertised that way

@Stings wrote:

I also had an issue with the short  range of Orbi Router and Satellites. Realy short range and the Netgear Orbi units don't have a coax connector on the back so you could add a better antenna to extend the range.

what sort of range are you talking as the orbi router and sat should be able to sat about 15 meters apart and have a coverage of over 45 meters , the external antennas wont help as its not the coverage its self thats the issue , it would be an enviornmental issue or building construction issue

the latest fw should be automatically installed , which orbi version do you have ? rbk50 , rbk40 or rbk30

Message 7 of 13
Stings
Guide

I have two of the rbk50s. 

Message 8 of 13

@Stings wrote:

I have two of the rbk50s. 

so you have 2 routers and 2 sats ?

as rbk50 is the set of one router and one sat

Message 9 of 13
Stings
Guide

My mistake then. I have one RBK50 and one RBS50 or one router and two satellites.

why do you ask?

Message 10 of 13
Stings
Guide

Is there a software upgrade that allows the Orbi satilites to sync with each other or to extend the range?

Message 11 of 13
loomis1975
Luminary

No, there is no publically released firmware that would allow two satellites to talk directly to each other.  It is a Star Topology, from Router back and forth with each Satellite only.

Message 12 of 13
psi931
Initiate

Here's the link to the latest firmware (for the router). You'll need to download with an internet connection other than your orbi router, you know, because it doesn't work...

http://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7