Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Router dropping Wired connection

SpankyTravis
Tutor

Orbi Router dropping Wired connection

Ran my Orbi router over 6 months with no problems.  3 days ago, I could not get any pcs (windows 10)/macs to connect to wired connection.  All the wireless connections are rock solid.  I tried rebooting pc, rebooting Orbi router, but non of the wired connections would connect.  After hours of no connection, all of the wired connects suddenly connected and started to work for about 20 minutes, then back to unable to connect.  The error on the pc is "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration" or "Unidentified Network".  But I spent about 8 hours monitoring the connects via the Orbi port and noticed not wired connections for 2 hours or so, followed with about 20 minutes of wired connections.  The wireless connections are all working.  I have the latest firmware,  V1.9.1.12.  I haven't change my configuration/devices since the prior months when Obri worked fine.  I do see "UPnP set event: add_nat_rule," and "DoS Attack: ARP Attack]" in the log from the "wired" host ip address, but I don't know if that is relevant.  I am totally frustrated.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6
Techlore
Apprentice

Re: Orbi Router dropping Wired connection

Have you tried factory resetting? If that doesn't help I'd contact support and tell them you want help under the hardware warranty.

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

Message 2 of 6
SpankyTravis
Tutor

Yes, I reset my Orbi to factory settings, and it still does the same behavior.  Thanks for the reply.  I will take your advice and contact support.

Message 3 of 6

Sounds a bit similar to the issue, almost in reverse, I'm having - I'll mention it just in-case:

Two satellites, one router. Wired devices connected to one satellite either directly or though a switch, tried both. Had a router in the mix at one time but have since collapsed everything to a single subnet and moved the Orbi from AP mode into router mode and connected it directly to my cable modem.

When connected to the router everything on my local subnet works just fine; i.e. I can reach the wired devices connected to the satellite. When roaming to the second satellite, the one without the wired devices, everything works just fine. When I connect back to the router, walking back to the living room, I lose connectivity to the satellite that has the wired devices. The wired devices and the satellite go away until I change my MAC address. I've done this with Apple, Android, PC, etc...

This was a larger problem as I had one of the wired devices working as a DHCP and DNS server while the AP was in bridge mode. This casued a complete loss of connectivity. Now I've ripped everything in the house out, flatened everything and use the Orbi as DNS and DHCP. Still lose connectivity to the wired devices but can still connect to the Internet - limits the screaming family members.

You might try a utility called Technitium to change the MAC address on the wired port on your laptop temporarily. If things start working it's a similar issue.

Netgear support is working on it and has been able to duplicate the issue but no fix yet.

FWIW: I noticed the same issue with Linksys Velop.

Message 4 of 6
SpankyTravis
Tutor

Dude, your network configuration is orders of magnitude more complex than mine.  I only had the Orbi router on and all my wired/wireless devices were connected only to it (wired devices via a switch).  I did contact support and they remoted into my setup and fixed it somehow.  I suspect some firmware was updated.  Since then, I am back to working flawlessly.  My Orbi router is the DHCP server.  I'm no expert, but if you need to change MAC addresses to get things to work, there might be more than 1 DHCP server on your network.  Good luck ...

Message 5 of 6

Glad you're working again, that's the most important part. 🙂

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7