Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Router or Access Point

Aronius
Tutor

Orbi Router or Access Point

Hi,
I have recently brought the Orbi RBK50 AC3000, and would like to know whether to set it up as a router or access point.
I currently have Virgin vivid 350 (350-400mps) with the Virgin Superhub 3, as normal the Hub is rubbish for WiFi!
So I set the Orbi up as a wireless access point to the router or as a new router and put the Virign Hub into modem? Would I get a better range by putting it as an access point as the router would still give out a WiFi signal?
Thanks
Aaron
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 13
Chuck_M
Mentor

regardless you will want to turn off your router's wifi and rely solely on the Orbi WIFI instead.

If not, you loose some of the benefits of a mesh network.

Personally I would bridge the original router/modem and use the Orbi's router functionality.

Message 2 of 13
Aronius
Tutor

Okay thanks I will do that 🙂
Message 3 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Aronius wrote:
Hi,
I have recently brought the Orbi RBK50 AC3000, and would like to know whether to set it up as a router or access point.
I currently have Virgin vivid 350 (350-400mps) with the Virgin Superhub 3, as normal the Hub is rubbish for WiFi!
So I set the Orbi up as a wireless access point to the router or as a new router and put the Virign Hub into modem? Would I get a better range by putting it as an access point as the router would still give out a WiFi signal?
Thanks
Aaron

Message 4 of 13
Aronius
Tutor

Okay thanks.

I want to have the Orbi as my wireless router to connect to and want to disbale the WiFi on my Virgin Hub 3 but still have the all 4 of the Etherent slots availiable on the Virgin Hub 3.

Is this possible? If so what option/how do I do it?

Regards

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@Aronius wrote:
Hi,
Thanks
Aaron

Message 5 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

I would not recommend this. This would and could cause connection problems if you have devices on the hub and orbi. Unless these are just TV services devices that need to be kept on the HUB, then that would be ok. 

I would try option #2. 

If you need additional LAN Ports you can always add a external Gb LAN port device to the back of the Orbi. They make from 5 ports to 48. 

@Aronius wrote:

Okay thanks.

I want to have the Orbi as my wireless router to connect to and want to disbale the WiFi on my Virgin Hub 3 but still have the all 4 of the Etherent slots availiable on the Virgin Hub 3.

Regards

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Modem Combo Units:

@Aronius wrote:
Hi,
Thanks
Aaron

Message 6 of 13
Aronius
Tutor

Ah okay, thanks for the advice. My idea was to have an Ethernet cable going from the router to the Orbi and the Orbi would be in the halway, out of my room where the Virgin Hub is ; and then have another Ethernet cable going from the Virgin router to my PC which is directly next to  the Virgin Hub. 

Would this cause interfernece? 

Also how many Ethernet ports does the Orbi main router and Orbi Satallite have?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would not recommend this. This would and could cause connection problems if you have devices on the hub and orbi. Unless these are just TV services devices that need to be kept on the HUB, then that would be ok. 

I would try option #2. 

If you need additional LAN Ports you can always add a external Gb LAN port device to the back of the Orbi. They make from 5 ports to 48. 

@Aronius wrote:

Okay thanks.

Regards

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Modem Combo Units:

@Aronius wrote:
Hi,
Thanks
Aaron

Message 7 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

This would be ok. If your going to use the HUB has a router, you might want to configure the Orbi system for AP mode. This will avoid connection issues with having two routers on the same line. 

The 50 series has 4 LAN ports in back. If you need more, add a extrernal Gb switch. Make it non managed and non green ethernet. 

Message 8 of 13
Aronius
Tutor

Okay thanks for the info 🙂

Message 9 of 13
Aronius
Tutor

Which of your first 3 options would I set the Orbi up as in this scenario...say I am going to place the Orbi directly next to the my Virgin Hub and connect via ethernet. And then have an Ethernet cable going from the main Orbi to my PC. And then another Ethernet cable going from the main Orbi to a 5 slot switch, and then connect the switch to a TV streaming 4k UHD and a Xbox 1s and maybe a Sky Q mini. And put the satallite downstairs on the other side of the hosue. Basically meaning I want to turn off all the wireless functions on the Virgin Hub (into modem mode) and use the Orbi as my main router?

Does placing the Orbi directly next to the Modem mode Virgin Hub affect its signal in any way?

@FURRYe38 wrote:

This would be ok. If your going to use the HUB has a router, you might want to configure the Orbi system for AP mode. This will avoid connection issues with having two routers on the same line. 

The 50 series has 4 LAN ports in back. If you need more, add a extrernal Gb switch. Make it non managed and non green ethernet. 

Message 10 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

If your wanting to keep the ORbi as a router, then you'll need to give option #2 a try. If this doesn't work well for you, then try option #3. 

As long as the WIFI is fully disabled ON the isp modem, setting the Orbi base close to the modem should be ok. I would keep some distance, 3 feet if possible between them. 

Message 11 of 13
Aronius
Tutor

Okay thanks I will give that a try when it gets here on Thursday , thanks

Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors