Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Router

JeffAnt
Follower

Orbi Router

I have an Orbi RBR 40 Router with 2 satellites that show connected to the base unit. However, no devices (cell phones, laptops, etc) are showing as connected to the satellites, have I done something wrong?

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Router

Before concluding "something is wrong", it might be useful to know a few things.

• How far apart are the Orbi devices (physically)?
  • Are some devices significantly closer to a satellite than to the router?
  • Have you tried to reconnect a device after the Orbi network has come up?
    When the Orbi is powered up, the router begins broadcasting SSID's before the satellites do.
    If a device is "waiting for a WiFi connection" and sees the router, it may connect to the router before the satellite WiFi is available and then stop looking.
    A test for this is to have a device "forget" the Orbi WiFi, search for available WiFi networks, enter the Orbi password, and connect.
    Does the device connect to the very close satellite?
  • Another test is to experiment with a device that "roams". Cell phones and tablets are typically programmed to keep looking at the WiFi environment as they move around.  When they discover an Access Point with a better signal, they can switch to it.
    I tested this using a Sony smart phone and a Samsung tablet.
    To "hurry the process along", I went to the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings and check the box for "Fast Roaming" (last item at the bottom).
    Then, I opened the Orbi web interface Attached Devices web page and walked from very close to the router to very close to my satellite.  In less than two minutes, the Attached Devices page showed my tablet now connected to the satellite.  Walked back to the router and in a few minutes, it showed connected to the router.
    The same thing happened with my smart phone, but the screen is really hard to read.  I did not try this experiment using the Orbi "app" because I had not loaded the app at the time.

So, if neither of these two experiments result in a device attached to a satellite, there may indeed be a problem.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7