Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi SSDI Reuse and Virus protection questions from a Newbie to networking

Mikener
Aspirant

Orbi SSDI Reuse and Virus protection questions from a Newbie to networking

SSID QUESTIONS:
I had always thought when I upgraded from one router to the other that I couldn’t or shouldn’t reuse SSDI name and password that I used on my existing router. I am upgrading from a linksys router to the netgear Orbi mesh.

From what I’ve been told with the Orbi I could keep the same SSDI name and password so that I don’t need to do anything to my devices that are already using that SSDI name and password. That users of those devices won’t even know I changed routers except for the better connectivity.

It should be noted that the SSID on the linksys router that I plan to reuse was dedicated to a 2.4 ghz speed. I don't know if that makes any difference, but I thought that I should mention it.

1. Has anyone who has done this experienced ANY problems resusing their old SSDI name and password?
  2. Once I setup my Orbi using my old SSDI are there any issues that I should be aware of if I ever decide to change that SSDI name/password combination to something else sometime in the future besides having to re connect my devices that use the old SSDI?

VIRUS SOFTWARE:
Some people say that the Orbi installation forces you to turn on and use Netgear’s virus checker and that you can’t turn off the free trial so that you’re forced to pay a monthly fee. Is this true? I prefer not to use it at this time. Maybe I will at sometime in the future, but not now.

Thanks
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Not sure where you heard that but you can always re-use and retain SSID names and PWs if you like, thought it's recommended to change the PW to keep some hackers out. I've been using the same SSID name for almost 20 years. 

Keeping the same WiFi name (SSID) and password accomplishes two tasks:

• It means the every device that was connected to the old WiFi router should connect automatically to the new WiFi router without having to be reconfigured.  Changing the password, renders this impossible.  If the password is changed, then every device has to be connected to the new WiFi system individually.  This can be an lengthy and tedious process.
  • It means that you can "go back."  The new WiFi system can be unplugged, the old system reinstalled, and every device will connect automatically.

I highly recommend using the same WiFi name and password every time the WiFi system is replaced.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Not sure where you heard that but you can always re-use and retain SSID names and PWs if you like, thought it's recommended to change the PW to keep some hackers out. I've been using the same SSID name for almost 20 years. 

You don't have to enable Armor. Just skip it if you don't want to activate it. 

There is a Armor forum if you have additional questions:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Armor/bd-p/en-home-armor

Enjoy. 

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Keeping the same WiFi name (SSID) and password accomplishes two tasks:

• It means the every device that was connected to the old WiFi router should connect automatically to the new WiFi router without having to be reconfigured.  Changing the password, renders this impossible.  If the password is changed, then every device has to be connected to the new WiFi system individually.  This can be an lengthy and tedious process.
  • It means that you can "go back."  The new WiFi system can be unplugged, the old system reinstalled, and every device will connect automatically.

I highly recommend using the same WiFi name and password every time the WiFi system is replaced.

Message 3 of 8
Mikener
Aspirant

Thanks for always being so helpful to me. I plan to install the router in the next few days. I'd like  to purchase a surge protector first.

1. Am I correct that in some point in the future that if I choose to that I could change the SSDI name?
  2. Am I correct that the virus checker is installed optionally?
  3. Do you use the virus checker? It seems like overkill since my devices use virus checkers.
  4. Does the virus checker impede performance?
  5. Does the virus checker update itself automatically or is this something that I need to do myself every few days?

Sorry for these additional questions. They just popped into my head and with my family driving me so crazy about the WIFI, I get very nervous about not knowing what I'm doing.

Thanks again.

Message 4 of 8
Mikener
Aspirant

Thank you. And thanks for the link to Armor. I just noticed it.

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mikener wrote:

Thanks for always being so helpful to me. I plan to install the router in the next few days. I'd like  to purchase a surge protector first.

1. Am I correct that in some point in the future that if I choose to that I could change the SSDI name?
    Yes.  Like all WiFi routers, each Orbi comes from the factory with a default SSID/password already set and printed on the product label.  Orbi products are named "ORBI" plus two digits.  In order to avoid reconfiguring all of the existing devices, I would change that SSID/password to match the existing one.  It can be changed at any time.
  2. Am I correct that the virus checker is installed optionally?
    Yes, Bitdefender Armor is an option, but you have to be alert or Armor and Disney Circle will get activated for a "Free Trial" after which Netgear will charge an annual fee.  (They want the revenue.)
  3. Do you use the virus checker? It seems like overkill since my devices use virus checkers.
    I cannot comment on how well it works because I have never activated either product.  Most of the users who post about Armor and Circle on this forum are here because they are trying to solve issues and the solution is often to remove them.
  4. Does the virus checker impede performance?
    It clearly uses resources. No one has commented on this being a major issue.
  5. Does the virus checker update itself automatically or is this something that I need to do myself every few days?
    Yes.  Updates are totally automatic.

Sorry for these additional questions. They just popped into my head and with my family driving me so crazy about the WIFI, I get very nervous about not knowing what I'm doing.

Thanks again.

Message 6 of 8
Mikener
Aspirant

Thanks again. I hope not to bother you again. But I do appreciate you being there for me.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Hope it all works for you. Come back any time you need help or have questions. 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7