Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi STILL Disconnects On Older iOS devices With New Firmware

tomwanless
Initiate

Orbi STILL Disconnects On Older iOS devices With New Firmware

I have been having the iOS disconnect issue (but only with older iOS devices - all running iOS 9 as they don't support newer versions) from day one with my Orbi system. I have 2 older iPod Touches and 3 iPad Minis - all running IOS 9 and they all disconnect multiple times in a day, sometimes a few times in an hour. My newer IOS devices all run iOS 10 and do not experience the disconnects. I just want to confirm that the new Orbi firmware 1.8.0.6 has NOT fixed this issue at all.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
JMU1998
Luminary

Ofcourse it does the new Firmware didn't address the issue Netgear Engineering are aware but still unable to release a fix yet.

Message 2 of 7
TomMac
Guru

Try and turn off Beamforming AND MU-MIMMO...

My ipad on 9.3.5 is now running with those off and dropping very little

Message 3 of 7
tomwanless
Initiate

I have got both checkboxes unticked on the Advanced Wireless Settings page ("Enable Implicit Beamforming..." and "Enable MU-MIMO" but I've always had these unchecked and have always had the problem, so alas I don't think that's working for me....

Message 4 of 7
TomMac
Guru

Sorry it didn't work for you...but the answer may be coming

BTW, I;m running a debug sw version so that may be the difference V 1.8.0.12

Message 5 of 7
RustyShano
Guide

I was also having Orbi disconnects on my iOS devices (iPhones & iPads).  I was also having the same disconnect issue while on my Nighthawk X8 R8500 router (this fix might have worked for that router also).

What actually has worked for me and my family was the suggestion to turn down the antenna power on the 2.4Ghz band to 25%.

Since then, we haven't had any disconnects.  

For myself and family, these disconnects were occurring when a smooth streaming experience was required.  This included video streaming and online iOS games such as most of the Supercell (Clash of Clans, Clash Royale, and Hay Day).

I'm guessing iOS and its hardware is a little to eager in switching to a stronger signal and toning down the one band keeps it happy where it's at.

Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 7
RustyShano
Guide

Here's the setting for my previous post.

2017-04-25_18-12-43.png

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7