Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi STP/BPDU errors

rce3
Guide

Orbi STP/BPDU errors

Hi - looking for some information about how Orbi uses the STP/BPDU protocols.  Can't find any via google, so hoping that someone here knows more.

I am using an Orbi RBK50 in AP mode plugged into a Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch.  The Edgeswitch is reporting a BPDU error from the Orbi as below:

Jul 24 04:47:44Errordot1sBpduReceive(): Discarding the BPDU, since it is an invalid BPDU type
Jul 24 04:47:44Noticedot1sBpduReceive(): Invalid Forward Delay
Jul 24 04:47:42Errordot1sBpduReceive(): Discarding the BPDU, since it is an invalid BPDU type
Jul 24 04:47:42Notice

dot1sBpduReceive(): Invalid Forward Delay

It's been suggested to me on the Ubiquiti forums that I need to either change/disable the STP mode on the Orbi or adjust the "Forward Delay".  However, I can find no ability to do so in the Orbi UI.

Questions:

1.  Is there any ability to adjust or disable the STP/BPDU settings on the Orbi?

2.  What are the default settings for the STP/BPDU protocols on the Orbi?

Thanks.

-Robert

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 12
st_shaw
Master

I don't have your answer, but I do have an RBR50 in AP mode plugged into a Ubiquiti US-8-150W switch. This is similar to the Edgeswitch. No STP issues with that, that I am aware of anyway.

Are you certain it's the Orbi causing the errors?

Also, what exactly do you have plugged into the switch.  RBK50 is the part number for the kit. Is it the the router or the satellite that's plugged into the switch?

Message 2 of 12
rce3
Guide

It's the router that's plugged in to the Edgeswitch, though again operating in AP mode.  I believe it is the Orbi router that is causing the problem as the error messages stop when I unplug the router and resume immediately when I replug the router.

I've not plugged the satellites in yet, so can''t comment on whether they also generate this error.

I know that the Ubiquiti Unifi switches are slightly different than the Ubiquiti EdgeMax switches, but I'm not familiar with the details.  My system is working, in the sense that wireless devices can connect via the Orbi Router and work fine.  It's only when I inspect the system logs on the EdgeSwitch that I notice this error.  When you say your system has no issues, have you looked at the system log?

Thanks!

-Robert

Message 3 of 12
st_shaw
Master

Thanks for the further detail.

I expect that plugging-in the satellites would cause issues, such as a network loop. That's why I asked.

I looked at the "Events" in the Unifi controller and don't see any errors noted there.  I'll need to SSH into the switch to see if there is a log there analagous to the Edgeswitch.  There's no GUI on the Unifi switches.

Message 4 of 12
st_shaw
Master

I logged into the switch via SSH and looked at the log in /var/log/messages.

No spanning tree errors.  Plenty of messages about the spanning tree config changing, and a new root being selected, etc.  I have a Sonos system, which uses STP, so it just looks like normal STP operations..

Message 5 of 12
rce3
Guide

Interesting.

I do have a Sonos speaker as well as a variety of other wifi devices in the house which could in theory be connecting via the orbi and sending the bad bpdu packet.  To be sure, I'll have to wander around the house turning off all wifi items and see if the problem goes away.

I'm also getting some advice from the ubiquiti forum on how to capture those bpdu packets and inspect them for source and problem.

Looks like I have a project for the weekend...  I'll report back then.

Message 6 of 12
st_shaw
Master

I was going to ask if you had Sonos. There have been reports of Sonos causing problems with STP-enabled switches.

I have two sites with Sonos and Ubiquiti switches, with no issues noted.

For both sites I have:

1. Sonos "Boost" setup, not a "Standard" setup (I'm not using WiFi for Sonos).

2. One, and only one, Sonos device wired to the network.

3. The switch closest to the router is set with an RSTP priority of 16384.

4. Switches connected to the first level switch are set to RSTP priority of 32768.

Message 7 of 12
rce3
Guide

I've stripped my network down to a single laptop connected via ethernet to an Orbi in AP mode and sniffed the packets to confirm that an Orbi in AP mode issues STP packets.

Normally the Orbi is plugged into a Ubiquiti switch.  The advice I'm getting from the Ubiquiti forum is to turn off STP support on the Orbi port so as to filter out those packets from the network.

Does anyone know whether a set of Orbi's working in AP mode need access to the STP protocol?  Will blocking STP packets from the network have any impact on Orbi perfomance?

(I understand that Sonos would require it but consider that a separate issue.)

Thx.

Message 8 of 12
st_shaw
Master

I question the wisdom of just turning off STP on Orbi. (Assuming it's even possible, which is unlikely.)  It's reasonable to assume Orbi uses STP somehow because there's no setting to turn it on or off, and especially since you see the packets coming from Orbi.

Let me ask this...  Is there actually a functional problem with your network, other than seeing these messages in the Ubiquiti log file? Do you need STP on the switch? I believe the answer is no, unless you have multiple switches connected and wire loops between them (which is unnecessary.)  Why not turn off STP on the EdgeSwitch?

Message 9 of 12
rce3
Guide

Well, if the Orbi does need STP for something and I turn off STP on the Edgeswitch, then it's unclear to me whether the Orbi will get whatever it needs from STP.  But I see your point.

I am also assuming that the Orbi uses STP for something since it is sending STP packets, presumably something to do with the backhaul or load-balancing across the satellites.  But I can't find any reference to this anywhere though, so was hoping to confirm this via this forum.

My real concerns are more around what comes next - ie, I need to get my Sonos speakers (which do require STP) set up AND the rumored Orbi FW update with ethernet backhaul might also require STP.  So best answer is to get STP working properly between the Orbi and Edgeswitch.

Those Sonos speakers are my weekend project, so we shall see.

Message 10 of 12
rce3
Guide

It's been a while since I updated this thread as life interfered, but thought I would provide an update for those interested.

1. I have tried the various suggestions for blocking STP at that port of the edgeswitch without any success.  I believe I am following the instructions from the ubiquiti support correctly, but there is no change in behavior.  That said, the advice from the ubiquiti site is that blocking the STP commands on that port will result in marginal if any improvements in performance, so I have decided to stop pursuing this issue until when/if Orbi firmware with ethernet backhaul support is released.  (I continue to assume this will involve changed STP functionality on the Orbi side, but we shall see.)

2. I have installed my Sonos system.  About a dozen components, some wired and some wireless.  Amazingly enough, everything just worked with no attempt to do anything other than install the speakers using the sonos app.

Thanks for the various comments and help, I look forward to paying it forward.

-Robert

Message 11 of 12
Wayupnorthguy
Aspirant

Just an FYI.  I get the same errors on my UNIFI switch with R8000's connected and configured as an AP.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7