Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satelite Connecting/Not Connecting Devices

chrisxpierce
Tutor

Orbi Satelite Connecting/Not Connecting Devices

I have the AC2200 Orbi Mesh.  With two satelites.  My devices are connecting to my main router, and not the satelite that is much closer...specifically, one of my Blink Cameras...the camera is indicating poor wifi, because its connecting to my the the router, instead of the satelite, that has full signal (green light).  Any ideas, is there a way to get these devices to connect to the closest satelite, or should i say, have the satelite connect to the device because its closer?  Thanks in advance.

Chris

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Re: Orbi Satelite Connecting/Not Connecting Devices

You have encountered one of the Orbi's design flaws.  The routers WiFi is enabled long before the satellites WiFi for clients to bind to.  IP Cameras are not expected to roam, so they will bind to the first WiFi signal they see, and will not look for a stronger signal unless they are rebooted.  So your only way to get them to bind to your closer satellite instead of the router is to reboot (power cycle) the camera.  You may be able to reboot it from your camera's app or web interface.

I likewise have this issue with an IP camera and smart garage door opener at my home.  My workaround for them was to add a smart plug on the power for each.  I have a UPS on my router so it should not loose power unless I have a long power outage, so I typically will know when I have rebooted my router.  So when I do reboot it, I will then power-cycle the smart plugs for my garage systems so that they bind to the closer satellite instead of the weaker signal from the router.

NG could probably correct this issue in their firmware, I submitted a ticket to them for the issue and they said they do not plan to fix it.  I do not know if other vendors mesh systems suffer from this same issue.

Message 2 of 9
chrisxpierce
Tutor

Thank you very much for the quick response, and that makes perfect sense. I will do that in hopes

@tomschmidt wrote:

You have encountered one of the Orbi's design flaws.  The routers WiFi is enabled long before the satellites WiFi for clients to bind to.  IP Cameras are not expected to roam, so they will bind to the first WiFi signal they see, and will not look for a stronger signal unless they are rebooted.  So your only way to get them to bind to your closer satellite instead of the router is to reboot (power cycle) the camera.  You may be able to reboot it from your camera's app or web interface.

I likewise have this issue with an IP camera and smart garage door opener at my home.  My workaround for them was to add a smart plug on the power for each.  I have a UPS on my router so it should not loose power unless I have a long power outage, so I typically will know when I have rebooted my router.  So when I do reboot it, I will then power-cycle the smart plugs for my garage systems so that they bind to the closer satellite instead of the weaker signal from the router.

NG could probably correct this issue in their firmware, I submitted a ticket to them for the issue and they said they do not plan to fix it.  I do not know if other vendors mesh systems suffer from this same issue.

that it corrects it, not surprised that they're not going to fix it 🙂 

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

It's up to the client devices to pick and choose which signal they connect too. You can help this some by turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@chrisxpierce wrote:

I have the AC2200 Orbi Mesh.  With two satelites.  My devices are connecting to my main router, and not the satelite that is much closer...specifically, one of my Blink Cameras...the camera is indicating poor wifi, because its connecting to my the the router, instead of the satelite, that has full signal (green light).  Any ideas, is there a way to get these devices to connect to the closest satelite, or should i say, have the satelite connect to the device because its closer?  Thanks in advance.

Chris

Message 4 of 9
chrisxpierce
Tutor

Great information as well... Makes sense. THANK YOU!!! I have it at 100%
Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, turning that down will help steer the devices to RBS...

Message 6 of 9
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

For me, reducing the power of the 2.4GHz signal did not help overall.  I had to reduce it to 25% before my garage would not detect it from the router.  However that then affected all other 2.4GHz devices, they also got too weak of a signal to function. Your mileage may vary, you can test different power levels to see if one works for your environment.

Message 7 of 9
chrisxpierce
Tutor

It would appear that reducing the power to 50%, is helping at the moment, I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all of your help!

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Adjust it as you need too. 

@chrisxpierce wrote:

It would appear that reducing the power to 50%, is helping at the moment, I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks for all of your help!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7