Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satelite keeps loosing connection with router

GASkinner
Tutor

Orbi Satelite keeps loosing connection with router

I have been using Orbi for 2+ years now, generally no problems.

For no obvious reason my satelitte has started randomly loosing connection with the router and the ring turns magenta.

Both the router and satelite are on firmaware V2.3.1.44

Rebooting re-establishes connection but, short before long it is lost again.

The location of both are exactly as they have been for the last 2 years, maybe 25 ft apart, ground floor and first floor.

Any help much appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 25 feet maybe a bit too close. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Message 2 of 25
GASkinner
Tutor

Modem - Bell Home Hub 3000

Distance between router and satelite - max 25 ft.

Home is 3,000ft

My issue is nothing has chnaged on my setup since I've been using this system. Same location, same settings, same modem, same neigibour wi-fi profile (every house around me).

Message 3 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand that nonthing may have changed however surrounding environment may have. 

Also 25 is too close, though it's been running like that, thats not optimal wifi distance as there maybe to much over lap in wifi signal between the router and satellite so the system may have worked however may have been slowly degrading too due to this. Just because it has been working doesn't mean something isn't effecting how it operates. 

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch and see if this changes anything. 

Might update to v48 as well. 

Message 4 of 25
GASkinner
Tutor

Just did the .48 upgrade, I always keep up to date.

Understand the notion of "just because it was working doesn't mean it was working well".

What would an optimal distance be between router and satelite. My setup has always been router on the ground floor and satelite on the 1 st floor. The direct line of sight distance is 25 ft with not even a wall between the two.

Message 5 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. The router alone can cover up to 1100-2000sq feet on it's own. Wifi overlap is key here as well. 

Router should be on main floor or 2nd floor. Satellite on main or uppor or basement. Mine is setup with Base on 2nd floor and satellite on main floor 40 feet in between. No issues. 

Message 6 of 25
GASkinner
Tutor

Ok, I'll try different locations for the satelite.

I have no choice for router location because of the Bell modem location with those 2 wired.

I'll try put the satelite more in the center of the 2 nd floor, which will increase the distance slightly but also puts a wall between the two.

Message 7 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

You can always move the base orbi with a longer cable between the modem and orbi, if needed. Smiley Wink

Be sure that the wifi on the modem is turned fully OFF if it's not already. 

I have a roof and 1 wall between my orbi and satellite. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 25
GASkinner
Tutor

Interesting, it is more robust than I thought then.

QQ - do you have any outside coverage? I have a pool area out the back of the house (distance approx 60ft from router 40 from satelite) and the signal strength is very poor, almost unusable. I was thinking of adding another satelite to cover out there. Thoughts?

Message 9 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya Orbi is pretty robust for the signal. Yes I had good coverage out side last time I tested. Others have mentioned 50-60 feet in between there base and satellites. I didn't measure beyond 20 feet out side my place which is enough for my needs. Hot tub and back deck areas which are common use locations. Possible addition of outside Orbi could be possible if you need something more out side, depending upon your needs. 

Message 10 of 25
GASkinner
Tutor

Thanks, good info.

Much appreciated.

Message 11 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes with getting the system stable again. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 25
GASkinner
Tutor

Touch wood, since the .48 update this am it has been fine i.e. back to normal.

See advice given above re: Beamforming and MU-MIMO - would you recomend/do you have enabled?

Message 13 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you apply v48 and continue or factory reset and setup from scratch after v48 was applied? 

Beamforming is recommended to be enabled. MIMO depends on if you have any MU-MIMO supporting devices, if you don't then you can leave this disabled. 

Message 14 of 25
GASkinner
Tutor

Just the V.48 upgrade, did not factory reset.

Do not know if I have any MIMO devices.

I have pretty standard stuff (Windows PC's, Amazon Echo's, Phillips Hue, Sonos, Fire TV, Bell TV receivers x 3, XboxOne, Mobile phones, Google Home mini, Google Home display, Couple of Raspberry Pi's, Pioneer VSX-831k, Blink Camera setup, Ring Doorbell, Wyze Cams x 2)

Message 15 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

You would need to refer to the Mfr of your devices to see if they are MIMO supporting. Some phones support MIMO now days. 

Message 16 of 25
GASkinner
Tutor

Oh No, spoke to soon.

After the v.48 and moving the statelite another 15ft away, it was on for 3-4 hours but started randomly loosing its connection to the router again.

In the Orbi app it shows a red dot with the staelite and the magenta ring is on.

On my Android phone when I select the netwrok it sits on "Obtaining an IP address" all the time.

Message 17 of 25
JEFFP021
Aspirant

LATEST FIRMWARE AS OF APRIL 2019 ROUTER ON GROUND FLOOR OF TOWNHOUSE CONDO, SATELLITE ON SECOND FLOOR

Satellite was off line , off and on throughout the day, noticed significant speed degredation of wireless devices on second floor where they normally connect to. Turned off MIMO, beamform and Daisy chain and it appears to be up and online for a full day.

will watch and reprt back

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 18 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. If something happens again, try disabling MIMO and Beamforming. 

Whats the current setting for Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming and 20/40Mhz co-exsistence? Daisy Chain should be disabled. 

@GASkinner wrote:

Oh No, spoke to soon.

After the v.48 and moving the statelite another 15ft away, it was on for 3-4 hours but started randomly loosing its connection to the router again.

In the Orbi app it shows a red dot with the staelite and the magenta ring is on.

On my Android phone when I select the netwrok it sits on "Obtaining an IP address" all the time.

Message 19 of 25
GASkinner
Tutor

Wow, this is frustrating!

Still having the issue of this stelite disconnecting. Here's what I've noticed:

The lite goes magenta randomly, no real reason that I can notice.

On my mobile when trying to connect to that netork it sits on "obtaining IP address" for a long time.

On occasion I've noticed the "Backhaul Status" in the console reports "Poor".

Since it satrted I have moved the satelite to a new location that is at least 45 ft away from the router.

When it works it will stay good for a day or so and then, like this am, it just goes MIA.

I've left Beamforming and MIMO and WMM all dsabled, hadn't used them until now so figured it best of they weren't active (above my networking paygrade).

Message 20 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Please enable Beamforming and WMM. These should be enabled all the time. 

Message 21 of 25
GASkinner
Tutor

Done!

Message 22 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Reboot both RBR and RBS. If you still see a problem at the RBS, move it a bit slower to the RBR and see. IF it still continues to be problematic, I would contact NG support and get the RBS replaced. 

Message 23 of 25
GASkinner
Tutor

To use the NG suppport I need a support contract right? (have not needed one until now, didn't seem worth paying for)

I've this system 2 or so years now, out of warranty? What is their replacement policy - buy new one?

Message 24 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, if your not in warranty...

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements