Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite Connection via Ethernet for improved throughput?

RSRA
Star

Orbi Satellite Connection via Ethernet for improved throughput?

Alas, I do not live in a home with a wired network points, and my office is some way from the incoming broadband where my router is located. At the moment I use the Netgear D7800, which gives really good coverage and links to my iMac (macOS Sierra 10.12.3) in my office via wi-fi. Unfortunately, however, when I access my Synology NAS, which is connected to my router, the throughput is painfully slow. 

I am wondering if using the Orbi might improve matters? I would connect by iMac to the Orbi satellite using the ethernet port, but have no idea if this would offer any benefit over the wi-fi connection I have at the moment.

Any and all advice will be much aprpeciated,

Roy

Message 1 of 2
farfromovin
Guide

Re: Orbi Satellite Connection via Ethernet for improved throughput?

So you get good wifi to your iMac in your office and the Synology is hardwired to the router some distance away but your throughput sucks?

I'm curious just how good your wireless connection to your iMac is? Can you do a wireless speedtest and get what you would get on your WAN?

The backhaul between Orbi and Satellite is outstanding. I have a Synology DS415+ wired to my router and am connected to my Orbi Satellite on the opposite end of my house and up 1 floor. Just transferred a 8GB file from the Synology to my laptop and speeds varied from 10MB/s to 50MB/s. My wireless adapter connection speed to the satellite is 702mbps currently.

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 3.17.34 PM.png

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7