Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellite Connection via Ethernet

Yonijo
Tutor

Orbi Satellite Connection via Ethernet

Hello

I need to connect my orbi satellite in Ethernet wired.
Is it possible now or I have to wait an other firmware ?

Thank you for your help
Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi Satellite Connection via Ethernet

Hello Yonijo

You will need the to update your Orbi unit to the 2.1 firmware if you check for updates on your unit it should be available to download.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

each Sat has 3 or 4 ethernet ports.  are you wanting to connect other devices to your sat?

Message 2 of 9
Yonijo
Tutor

Hello
Thanks for your reply

I want to connect the two satellites together
(Not by WiFi)
Message 3 of 9
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Yonijo

You will need the to update your Orbi unit to the 2.1 firmware if you check for updates on your unit it should be available to download.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 9
Yonijo
Tutor

Hello DarrenM

Thank you for your reply. I can show the wired connection between my two 2 satelite.

Thank to all netgear team for this new feature.

I have one more question in the configuration website on the satelite, i see the internet and the gateway in grey color (not in blue)

You think all it's ok ?

Regards

Yoni 

Message 5 of 9
cvoisey
Guide

I'm looking at the same, but I don't see any details on this anywhere.  Are you saying that you were able to successfully just connect an ethernet cable between your router and the satellite(s) and it worked?  No special ports to use or anything?

NOTE:  I see the note about upgrading your firmware, but I still don't even see this documented in that FW release notes.  

Thanks!!  Honestly, I was about to return these as I have a really tough time getting wireless to one area of my house due to the style of construction.  It's basically a faraday cage put right in the middle of my house!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 6 of 9
reffr
Initiate

So,  I have the Orbi router in AP mode.  I have the two satellites connected to my router (not the orbi).  The Orbi router cannot see the satellites.  I thought that we could hard wire the satellites now.  I'm on the latest firmware (2.1.1.16 on router and all satellites).  

Am I wrong on how I can connect this?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 7 of 9
st_shaw
Master

I believe the satellites need to be wired to the LAN ports on the Orbi base unit for wired backhaul to work, either directly or through a switch connected directly to one of the LAN ports.

In AP mode the Orbi base unit is wired to your router via the Yellow Internet port, which would mean you are not connecting the sats to the LAN ports as described above.

Message 8 of 9
cvoisey
Guide

OK, it was actually easier than I thought ... and it is now posted and documented on the Netgear website here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Long story short is that I just plugged in and gabve it a shot, and it worked!  It is important that you have the latest Firmware, but using Ethernet as the Backhaul works great!   Throughout my entire house I am now reading speeds of >300Mbps.  I also have several wired routers in the mix, but they seem to have no issues either.  All works as desired!

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7