Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite Connection via Ethernet

Easthoju
Follower

Orbi Satellite Connection via Ethernet

I have an Orbi system with one satellite. I wish to extend the coverage to my garage which is 60 metres away - too far for any connection via WiFi. I would therefore like to use an Ethernet cable to connect a new satellite to the existing satellite (not the router) - but retain this connection from the original satellite to the router via WiFi. I wanted to check if this is feasible. 

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only), RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

60 meters is too far. 

You can connect ethernet back haul and that should work in that configuration. Never tired that far though. My 1 satelliteis 40 feet wired back haul. 

Besure your using a Non-Managed switch with Orbi systems. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Maximum distance for CAT6 ethernet is 100 meters, so 60 meters is not too far.  The question he asked could be rephrased as, "Can I DAISYCHAIN one satellite to another over wired ethernet?"  I have never seen this discussed, but my guess is "no." I would certainly try this in the house first before running a cable 60 meters.  Wired backhaul gets a lot of discussion on this forum, but my memory is that it is always in terms of "why doesn't this work correctly between a satellite and router?"  It appears that in this instance it is too difficult (or too far) to run the ethernet cable all the way back to the router, whereas he has found a way to run a cable to the satellite.  Extending a network 60 meters (between buildings!) seems like a challenge.  I would think of putting an ordinary access point in the remote building and connecting it to the satellite over wired ethernet.  Most of the ORBI features don't seem to apply to this case (automatic change from one device to another, etc.)

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

To far for wireless. Yes, not too far for CAT6. 

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Sounds like we have no knowledge regarding the specific question.  I have only one satellite, so I can't perform a test.  Daisy chain is a (very) simple sort of "mesh", whereas the original design of the ORBI was a "star" design.  If no one comes forward, I'd suggest reposting the question with "Wired Daisy Chain?" in the title.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that he could LAN connect a 2nd satellite/AP to the 1st satellite, wired back haul to the garage. Ya, No expereince in this configruation. Possible though. I don't think the actual Daisy Chain feature is needed since it would all be wired and not wireless. If he LAN connected the 1st satellite, then did the same with a 2nd satellite in the garage, should work. Would need a Orbi satellite, could use a less expensive NetGear EX unit configured for AP mode. EX7700 or EX8000. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7