Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite Dropping Connection Every Hour

JpackHB
Aspirant

Orbi Satellite Dropping Connection Every Hour

The Orbi system was working perfectly for about the first 3 months now all of sudden my Satellite is continuously dropping connection every hour.  Ive trie moving it, I've tried multiple fixes ive read in these forums from the large amount of other users experiencing this problem as well.  This has to be something with the system and its ridiculous i cant even get help from netgear without paying money.  I paid close to $500 for this system and they cant even provide support if its past three months?  This is getting to the point where its almost unusable with the connection seeming to get worse and worse with every firmware update.  Has anyone whos still been under the 3 months warranty gotten any resolution from them?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello JpackHB

What firmware version are you on? do you have many android/google devices connected to your network? if so there is a bug happening with those devices causing issues with the wifi make sure you have updated those devices as google is pushing updates to fix the issues.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 19
JpackHB
Aspirant

As of now we only have one android device in the whole house. This device is up to date. I’ve always kept the firmware up to date as soon as new releases come out.
Message 3 of 19
st_shaw
Master

I just helped someone resolve a similar issue where the Orbi was dropping every hour, twice per hour.  The problem was RF interference from another device in the home.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-satellite-loses-connection-at-exactly-26-and-56-minutes/m...

Message 4 of 19
JpackHB
Aspirant

Thank you for the help, I’ve tried moving the satellite to different areas on our 1st floor which is where the satellite is located. The same connection drops keep happening. I would assume it’s not RF interference if that is still happening despite where I move it on the 1st floor right?
Message 5 of 19
st_shaw
Master

It depends.  If the RF interference is located near the Orbi "router" then satellite placement might not resolve the issue.  It's hard to speculate without knowing more about your setup, how many satellites you have, where things are located, etc.

In general, avoid having the Orbi units close to other electronics--try to keep them a few feet apart.

For my house, it works best to have my router and satellite both on the middle floor, close enough so they get a good backhaul connection.  Then my client devices can get a good enough signal on all three floors, and they have no problem connecting through one floor.

Message 6 of 19
JpackHB
Aspirant

Okay so I’ve moved the satellite to the 2nd floor as suggested. Same problem, every hour or so satellite goes magenta and drops connection only to go back blue within a few minutes on its own. I can’t think of anything in my room with the router Besides our modem which I’ve turned the WiFi off on that so that the only WiFi in the house is ran through the orbi. Amazing how such an expensive product can be having so many problems and the only way Netgear will help you is if you shell out even more money...unreal
Message 7 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to factory reset the satellite and resync the unit to the base station?

DarrenM

Message 8 of 19
JpackHB
Aspirant

Hi Darren,

No I have not what is the best way to reysnc the satellite? I’ve factory reset the router the other day hopeing that might fix the problem but my satellite still connected without me having to resynsc which I thought was weird.
Message 9 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Did you try to factory reset the satellite? also make sure your satellite and the router are using the same firmware version.

DarrenM

Message 10 of 19
JpackHB
Aspirant

Okay so I’ve done the factory reset and resynced. I’ve had a stable connection the past two days in terms of it’s not dropping the signal completely anymore. What I am still noticing though, which I didn’t notice the first few months we had this system when everything was running flawlessly, is that the speeds from the satellite seems to drop intermittently causing a slow down for brief periods of time. It will go from 100 up and 10 down to 45-50 up And 7-8 down any suggestions as to what settings I could change or why it might be doing this?
Message 11 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

You can try to adjust the wireless channels on the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks also you could try to enable beamforming and MUMIMO in the advanced wireless settings see if that helps the performance of your unit.

DarrenM

Message 12 of 19
Shmigget
Aspirant

I was also seeing satellite disconnections after adding a second satellite, about one per hour, but resolved them by changing two configurations:

• Turn off UPnP
  • Turn off daisy chaining 

Haven’t had one disconnect since ose changes several days ago.   

Message 13 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distances between the router and sateillite(s)? Feet?

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the router is connected too? Any built in router here by chance?

@Shmigget wrote:

I was also seeing satellite disconnections after adding a second satellite, about one per hour, but resolved them by changing two configurations:

• Turn off UPnP
  • Turn off daisy chaining 

Haven’t had one disconnect since ose changes several days ago.   

Message 14 of 19
Milkman0923
Initiate

I have the same issues however my main orbi doesnt connect either. The colors never change it just stops connecting. Even after a factory reset which worked for a few days, I can no longer connect
Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@Milkman0923 wrote:
I have the same issues however my main orbi doesnt connect either. The colors never change it just stops connecting. Even after a factory reset which worked for a few days, I can no longer connect

Message 16 of 19
mjm2463
Aspirant

Router looses signal every couple of hours and even with the satellite in the same room it loses signal to orbi router often.. Please speak in laymans terms someone mentioned changing settings but I have no idea how.. Please explain..
Message 17 of 19
mjm2463
Aspirant

How do you do this?
Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Using a web browser connect to the routers web page at orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1:

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see: Found under Advaced tab, Advanced/Wireless settings
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@mjm2463 wrote:
Router looses signal every couple of hours and even with the satellite in the same room it loses signal to orbi router often.. Please speak in laymans terms someone mentioned changing settings but I have no idea how.. Please explain..

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7