Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite Ethernet Backhaul and other ethernet devices issue

vinesh
Guide

Orbi Satellite Ethernet Backhaul and other ethernet devices issue

When connecting the Orbi Satellite via ethernet backhaul as soon I plug another device into any of the LAN ports and reboot the satellite it won't connect back to the router and I need to reset the device and then resync (works fine on wireless backhaul), does anyone have a similar issue or it is a bug? Both Router and Satellite are on Firmware 2.1.1.16

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
MikeMcr
Guide

Is your Orbi Router in router mode or access point mode? If in access point mode, you need to connect your Orbi router to your regular router via one of the Orbi LAN ports (not WAN port) to fix this. Then the Orbi satellite can communicate with the Orbi router via ethernet. I posted a more detailed explanation previously but it was moderated/deleted.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 10

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to change the ethernet port that the satellite is connected to the router?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 10
vinesh
Guide

Yes I have, is there a recommened port that should be used for the backhaul?

Message 3 of 10
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

they all should work for ethernet backhaul so no recommended port.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 10
JMU1998
Luminary

@vinesh I have same exact issue when I have the satellite wired as Ethernet backhaul it does not show as  attached to the main unit, status for backhaul is blank for attached satellite, I have factory reset both, nvram clear both, multiple reboots both issues still there.

Message 5 of 10
MikeMcr
Guide

Is your Orbi Router in router mode or access point mode? If in access point mode, you need to connect your Orbi router to your regular router via one of the Orbi LAN ports (not WAN port) to fix this. Then the Orbi satellite can communicate with the Orbi router via ethernet. I posted a more detailed explanation previously but it was moderated/deleted.

Message 6 of 10
vinesh
Guide

Thank you! That solved the issue, yes I'm using Orbi in AP mode

Message 7 of 10
vinesh
Guide

@JMU1998
Try @MikeMcr solution that worked for me, also one thing I noticed I didn't have to sync in wired mode, not sure if that is correct or not but it works.

Message 8 of 10
MikeMcr
Guide

Great. There is a reddit posting called "Ethernet Backhaul How-To" that describes more detail in the comments but linking to it probably got my original post deleted. Thanks go to the people over there for how to fix this issue. If you discover the Orbi router LED now goes magenta meaning no internet access (even though you do), you just have to connect any always on device to the WAN port and that turns off the LED.

Message 9 of 10
vinesh
Guide

Thanks 🙂 yes that solid magenta light was the next annoyance.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7