Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellite RBK50

Raulillo24
Aspirant

Orbi Satellite RBK50

Why my Orbi satellite-1 in the Backhaul Status   shows POOR?  

this satellite is about 30 to 35 feet from the main Orbi base

my home is about  1750' sf

my internet speed is 120 mb

Message 1 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Satellite RBK50

What kind of building materials is your home made off? wood or concrete? 

Single story or multi? 

That size of home, you can use the router alone if placed centraly in the home and should cover have good signal range 

Message 2 of 14
Raulillo24
Aspirant

the house is in concrete,  the main unit is in one corner of the house and the sattellite is in one bedroom basically in the midle of the house.

Message 3 of 14
Dawsson46
Aspirant

What's the signal strength from the router at the satellite location on the upper 5ghz band? Are other Wi-Fi networks using the upper band? 

Message 4 of 14
Raulillo24
Aspirant

yes 5ghz

no, theres no other network

Message 5 of 14
Dawsson46
Aspirant

That isn't signal strength its measured in db.  If you have an android there are tons of wifi analyzer or a laptop with InSSIDer 

Message 6 of 14
Arcana13
Aspirant

My satelite is also shown backhaul signal poor.

Mine is not even on 5G band for the backhaulrouter.JPG

Does anyone know how to set the backhaul band?

I am on firmware 2.1.4.10

satelite is 30feet apart from the router, building material is wood stub and sheetrock

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 7 of 14
Dawsson46
Aspirant

There doesn't appear to be a way to set the backhaul, maybe through the command line there is.  Use a wifi analyzer (android unless apple finally opened this capability) or InSSIDer on a PC to look at the upper 5ghz band (the unnamed one is the backhaul).  if your neighbors are using that band then good luck.  

I would like something better from Netgear about the decibel requirement for the satellite (better than good or poor).  When I set a 2 7800s together, I can tell link speed.  I keep debating about putting a 7800 behind the TV to test if a RBS50 would make sense, but the firmware doesn't access the backhaul.  

Message 8 of 14
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Check to see if daisy chain is toggled on or off. I had that experience one time on an update where daisy chain was automatically toggled on and I had a poor backhaul on one of my satellites. Not that daisy chain mode causes it, but one or the other (on or off) could be better for the backhaul.

Message 9 of 14
Dawsson46
Aspirant

I didn't buy the 2nd satelltite yet.  trying to figure out if it would do any good.  less than 20 feet through the floor from the satellite.  no duct work in the way. 

Message 10 of 14
bereillyte
Initiate

I don’t know if this helps... normally the satellite link in my House is ‘good’ but today trying to solve a problem where a distant device was not connecting I turned on beam forming under the advanced settings. This solved the problem with the connection I had, but then I noticed the satellite link was now ‘poor’. Having said that performance is fine, and there are no LEDs lit on either orbi. I wonder if there is a bug in the connected devices display??

Message 11 of 14
Raulillo24
Aspirant

I raise the satellite about 4 feet more and turn it off and back on again and I see the status changed to GOOD.  🙂

Message 12 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, concrete will not be good for 5Ghz due to it's high frequency.

@Raulillo24 wrote:

the house is in concrete,  the main unit is in one corner of the house and the sattellite is in one bedroom basically in the midle of the house.

Message 13 of 14
computersteve
Apprentice

I noticed the same thing with the indicator on the backhaul especially if you have a poweroutage & lets say the satelites come up before the router they will show poor in the attached devices screen.. the only way I saw to fix this was to reset the router, then after that unplug the satelites and one by one plug them in.. once you do that at least for me they say good.. however if one looses power or one is moved too far once the status changes to poor it never changes back to good. I do think its another bug lol 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7