Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite (RBS50) Ethernet/LAN Port Speed on Gigabit Internet

ttrappe
Initiate

Orbi Satellite (RBS50) Ethernet/LAN Port Speed on Gigabit Internet

I recently installed a RBK50 Router (RBR50) and Satellite (RBS50). Both are working fine. I have Gigabit internet running through a SB8200 Gigabit modem. Through some controlled speed testing, I get 900 Mbps to the Router and that is maintained if I hardwire to my MacBook Pro via the Ethernet port on the Router. If I hardwire off the Satellite Ethernet port I only get ~500 Mbps, which is the same as the WiFi off the Satellite. Doesn't the high speed backhaul connection between the Router and the Satellite allow for a higher speed wired connection to the Satellite Ethernet port?
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Faster than wired? No. 

It has a 1733mbps backhaul. And that's link speed. Link speed isn't throughput speed. throughput is roughly 55-65% of what the link speed is. And if they were right next to each other, they might get the full 1733mbps link speed. but they need to be at least 30ft apart. And they're 5ghz so you see speeds drop off faster because it doesn't broadcast as far or through as much materials. 

So its a great feature as the wireless backhaul lets you spread them out but it isn't going to be as fast as a wired backhaul with the AC versions. 

Message 2 of 6
ttrappe
Initiate

Plemans,

Thanks for the input.  Since my post I checked the speeds with a wired backhaul and computer hardwired into the satellite and as you would expect it was full speed (~900-930 Mbps).  Removing the wired backhaul (but keeping the computer hardwired to the satellite) dropped the speeds back down to what I had been seeing (~500-550 Mbps).  These wireless data were consistent if I had 1 foot or 40 feet distance between the router and satellite.

Message 3 of 6
btv_94
Guide

but they need to be at least 30ft apart. 

Will it be a problem for ethernet backhaul if RBS50 is about 17ft-20ft and 6 walls apart from RBR50 (2 bathrooms and 1 furnace closet).

Currently my download speed on iPhone is only 2-3Mbps and yet if I'm in the living room where my router is located my download is about 220Mbps. 

I'm planning to get RBK50 is it's going work. 

Thanks,

Set up: Ethernet backhaul.

Modem to RBR

Ethernet cable from RBR to 1G switch

Ethernet cable from 1G switch to RBS.

17ft-20ft apart with 6 walls.

Message 4 of 6
Mstrbig
Master

@btv_94 wrote:

Will it be a problem for ethernet backhaul if RBS50 is about 17ft-20ft and 6 walls apart from RBR50 (2 bathrooms and 1 furnace closet).

Currently my download speed on iPhone is only 2-3Mbps and yet if I'm in the living room where my router is located my download is about 220Mbps. 

Thanks,

Modem to RBR

RBK50 is a nice system. No you won't have a problem. Walls add to the equation. If you run into issues you can always adjust the power. 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Should be 30 feet or more in between the RBR or RBS, regardless if wireless or wire connected. If the RBS can't be moved farther, reduce the power output of the RBR from 100% to 50%. 

Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

@btv_94 wrote:

Thanks,

Modem to RBR

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation