Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite RBS50 Pulsing White Forever

takobass
Guide

Orbi Satellite RBS50 Pulsing White Forever

Hello. Last night I realized that my Orbi satellite was not connected, so I attempted a reset on both the router and satellite mutiple times, and now, the satellite keeps pulsing white, never connecting with the router. 

The router is running firmware V2.0.0.74. I don't know what firmware satellite is running, because it never turns solid white. It's been pulsing white for almost 18 hours now. 

We are running this $400 wifi with just the router. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 25

Accepted Solutions
Andrew_Scott
Guide

Re: Orbi Satellite RBS50 Flashing (not pulsing) White Forever

Just updating to say I've replaced the hardware via the shop I bought it from (JB-HiFi Carindale FTW!) and am now full armed and operational.

I've set up the new router and satellite and updated the firmare in both to V2.0.0.74. I'm not bold enough to update them manually to V2.1.1.16 yet though.

Good luck to everyone stuck in the eternal booting state.

View solution in original post

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 10 of 25

All Replies
mgdurand1
Luminary

Had same issue on two systems.  Re-synced and after two tried solved the issue.  Takes a while after amber then goes to blue and then off.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 25
bayers
Tutor

Similair issue with mine. Just randomly started not showing my Satellite and after a reboot it just pulsed white then solid Magenta. After multiple resets it still doens't sync and eventually goes to solid Magenta if try syncing it.

Message 3 of 25
takobass
Guide

Nope. It has kept on blinking white all along. It never stops blinking white. 

Message 4 of 25
takobass
Guide

Bayers, based on your description, you have a different issue. Mine NEVER turns magenta. It has not stopped blinking white. Not after power cycle, not after factory reset. 

Message 5 of 25
Heiruspecs
Guide

I had the same issue earlier. The trick seemed to be to push the reset button on affected devices for a full minute (40-60 seconds) and let them boot up fully (~2 minutes or so). After this, my device kept blinking white aswell, but this time I could continue with the setup, find my satellites and get everything up and running. You may need to push the Sync button on your satellite (reps say for up to 10 seconds), while a quick push on the router should be enough. I did this until the setup found my satellite (could take a few tries).

This has worked for a few others aswell, give it a try!

Message 6 of 25
takobass
Guide

Still not working. 

Inserting the paper clip into Reset hole while Power is ON does NOT do anything (Satellite keeps flashing WHITE forever). 

But now when I power OFF and then back ON WHILE holding down the paper clip in the Reset hole, the unit powers on and the power LED goes into flashing RED forever. After some research, I figured out that this means the firmware is corrupt. 

I have read some other posts in this forum where people cleared and updated the firmware on the  Satellite via "IP address", but I can't find a step-by-step instructions on how to do this on a Satellite. Can someone provide this information? 

Thanks in advance. 

Message 7 of 25
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Takobass

You can try and connect a pc to the unit via ethernet and then try to connect to the unit with either 192.168.1.250 or 192.168.1.1 and see if it will let you log in from there you can do a manual update of the firmware after you download it to your pc from the support site.

DarrenM

Message 8 of 25
Andrew_Scott
Guide

I'm in the same situation: satellite flashes white continuously.

I got my Orbi system yesterday and initially everything seemed to be working but after a while I noticed the satellite (RBS50) ring LED was flashing white. The manual says this is booting but if so it never finishes booting. After pressing the power button the Power LED is solid green initially and after about 18 seconds it flashes red for a few seconds and then returns to solid green. The manual says that a flashing red Power LED indicated the firmware is corrupted but it doesn't stay flashing red.

I've tried everything I can think of since then and it remains in the 'booting' state.

• I've tried  the factory reset switch on both router and satellite. This works on the router but the satellite just doesn’t seem to respond to the reset switch at all, even holding it for 60 seconds or more.
  • I've updated the router firmware to V2.1.1.16, can't access the satellite firmware to update it.
  • I've tried connecting the satellite to the router with an Ethernet cable but this makes the satellite Power LED flash red contiuously.
  • I've tried connecting the satellite to my computer with an Ethernet cable but can’t establish a connection at 192.168.1.250 or 192.168.1.1 or any of the other random addresses I tried.

My guess is that I have little alternative but to return it to the shop I bought it from unless there is something else I can try.

Message 9 of 25
Andrew_Scott
Guide

Just updating to say I've replaced the hardware via the shop I bought it from (JB-HiFi Carindale FTW!) and am now full armed and operational.

I've set up the new router and satellite and updated the firmare in both to V2.0.0.74. I'm not bold enough to update them manually to V2.1.1.16 yet though.

Good luck to everyone stuck in the eternal booting state.

Message 10 of 25
takobass
Guide

I am giving up. I tried manually directly accessing the satellite via ethernet. Nothing works. Initiating RMA process to get a replacement. 

Thanks.

Message 11 of 25
Thedaviddavis
Initiate

Exact same situation happened to me after 2 days of setup. Satellite starts flashing, never stops. Tried all the suggestions here and am waiting on RMA from Netgear. Incidentally, support didn't even question me on this. It must be a known issue but they do not know how to solve except to replace.

Message 12 of 25
m3730r
Initiate

Got a solution: you must flash a new firmware via tftp to the device. disconnect device from power. Push and hold the reset pin, then plug in power , while holding reset pin until led blinks red.

Download Firmware for satellite device from here 

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/RBS50-V2.1.1.16.zip

Unzip firmware. The .img file is the firmware image.

Connect network cable from 1st lan port of satellite device to your pc or Mac. Configure manually ip on pc/Mac side 192.168.1.10 if you can ping your satellite device at 192.168.1.1 you’re in flash mode.

how to flash via tftp ? Do it this way -> 

https://kb.netgear.com/22688/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP

After successful flashing the device automatically reboots and does load firmware. Be patient for 3 minutes.

Message 13 of 25
Thedaviddavis
Initiate

With respect, I should not have to go through the steps outlined to keep a recently purchased product functional. Perhaps if I had done something to the product that made it stop working in the first place. I also do not agree that I have to pay Netgear to return a non-functional unit. Therefore, boxed it back up, back to Best Buy I went and within an hour, I was back up and running again. If for some reason it happens again, I will do the same thing without spending a minute thinking about it.
Message 14 of 25
odie1toady
Tutor

THIS IS NOT CLOSED.  I"M STILL HAVING THE SAME ISSUE.  INSTALLED IT TWO DAYS AGO AND WON"T STAY CONNECTED

Message 15 of 25
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello odie1toady

Can you give more details about the issues that you are seeing with your system.

DarrenM

Message 16 of 25

Installed this system November 24th.  Worked great, high speed and awesome coverage. Noticed last week the satellite was no longer connected.  After attempting to re-sync it, it only flashes white then begins to slowly pulse white.  Reset both router and satellite, same thing flashing then pulsing. Held down reset button on each for 30 seconds, no help. Router works fine, just satellite will only flash then pulse white for hours/days, never resets and can't get it to sync (solid white) mode.  Best Buy actually laughed and said should have bought their extended warranty, only thing I can do is contact Netgear or sell it on Ebay lol.  How do I get a fully functioning satellite again?

Message 17 of 25
odie1toady
Tutor

I've been talking to the support team for a month and each person tells me something contradictory to the last.  It has been the most frustrating experience I have ever encountered.  Good luck!

Message 18 of 25
odie1toady
Tutor

@Darren I have two open cases and it's been a month and neither have been address.  I don't need to have a 3rd netgear rep ruin my day/month.  Please help me get an extended warranty if you want to help.  If you're not going to extend my warranty go somewhere else

Message 19 of 25
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello odie1toady

I have sent you a PM

DarrenM

Message 20 of 25

Any thoughts on post 17?
Message 21 of 25

Update: I followed the instructions in message 13 above for manually updating the firmware.... after trying multiple times the satellite won't take the update.  I'm now going to contact support and request an RMA for this unit.  Sucks to spend nearly $400 and after 60 days of use have a system that only partially operates.

Message 22 of 25

RMA completed, replacment unit is functioning like it should. 

Message 23 of 25
nope123
Aspirant

What replacement are you talking about?  You're statement is incorrect.

Message 24 of 25

Read messages 21 and 22 above.
Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 21 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7