Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite Will Not Factory Reset?

MeGrimlock
Apprentice

Orbi Satellite Will Not Factory Reset?

I have an Orbi system with one extra satellite, all running the current firware V2.1.1.16.  Lately, the upstairs satellite will work for periods of time, then drop all internet connection, even though it still shows connected to the Orbi system.  The main Orbi router and additional satellite continue to operate fine, full internect connections from them and devices all connect fine.  So I'm assuming something is amis with this one satellite, however when I try to do a factory reset - holding down the reset button on the back until the light turns and blinks amber - the satellite does not actually reset. It essentially boots back up like it has been power cycled, but all the settings, custom naming, everything is the same?  My hope was to do a factory reset on the satellite, add the satellite as new again to my system, and hopefully get past whatever it's issue is.  But I have no idea how or why it's not actually reseting itself. So I'm wondering - why wouldn't the reset button on the unit actually reset the unit and how else might I force a reset to it?

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 33
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Have you tried to move the satellite around to a new spot in the home?

DarrenM

Message 2 of 33
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

No the issue is not the location of the satellite.  I have a 3 unit set up and it's been running fine for almost 2 years.  My issue is one of the satellites will disconnect and stop all throughput while the other router and satellite are fine.  I tried to factory reset the satellite in question and it won't factory reset.  After doing the reset procedure, the satellite boots back up with all the custom settings that were previously applied, including it's custom satellite name.  I wanted to know how to factory reset it.

Message 3 of 33
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

To do the factory reset you just need to hold the reset button for 10+ seconds.

DarrenM

Message 4 of 33
MeGrimlock
Apprentice

That's exactly the point of this thread. Performing the factory reset with a paper clip on the back of the satellite holding the button-down for 10 seconds or even longer doesn't reset the device. When I do that and power the satellite back up it boots backup with all of the custom settings including its custom name and rejoins the other orbi satellites.
Message 5 of 33
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

I suggest contacting support if that feature is broken.

http://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

DarrenM

Message 6 of 33
Schwoomp511
Initiate

I am having the same issue.  The router and 2 satellites worked fine for 2 years, then started having lots of issues with dropping last fall.  After having the ISP out a couple times, and watching what was going on for months, we finally figured out it was one of the satellites causing the issue.  We first tried disabling daisy chain and that seemed to help, but the issue came back after a couple days.  We've had it unplugged for the last week, and have had no problems.  So I thought rather than tossing it, I would try a factory reset.  Just like you, it does not fully reset (still has the old name attached to it).  I tried the link DarrenM suggested but it looks like support is not free since I've had the devices for almost 2 1/2 years.  If anyone runs into this and has a solution, please share!  The only thing that I could think of is that you can't reset just one of the 3 devices, but rather have to do the whole system.  I don't want to do that since we have the smoothest wireless we've had in months with just the router and one remaining satellite.

Message 7 of 33
tsig
Luminary

have you tried to swap the satellite's locations to verify that it is the satellite, and not location based?

Message 8 of 33
wildhorse
Star

Satellite seems to be kind of lightweight in comparison to router as settings are on router. Maybe the reset is supposed to only disconnect from router or it does nothing. In any case I would move satellite close to router and reset it from there.

Message 9 of 33
Schwoomp511
Initiate

Thanks for the suggestions.  I've moved it to two different locations over the last month (after it sat in the same spot for over 2 years with no problems).  The reset I tried yesterday was the nearest to the router of the different spots I've tried.  (And by the way, the other satellite is as far from the router as it could be in our house and doesn't have issues.)  Within an hour of the "reset" our devices connected to that satellite started dropping.  I unplugged it again and have had no problems in the last 18 hours.  Firmware is up to date on the router and 2 satellites.  We've tried different channels, etc.  It's definitely something with that unit, and withought being able to do a full reset, I don't think I'll be able to solve it.  

Message 10 of 33
JFMGB
Tutor

Having the same problem with my third satellite... I have reset the router and the other two sats and they reset to factory default settings.  My router and the two sats that sync with it are on firmware version V2.1.2.18. The one that won’t sync up is on firmware version V2.1.1.12.  When I reset it it goes back to my values/names for the unit and not back to factory.

I find it interesting that NetGear now shows V2.0.1.4 as the latest firmware version for Orbi’s... and shows V.2.1.2.18 (which is a higher number and technically newer/later) as being a prior version!  I have tried to move ‘back’ to V2.0.1.4 with my router and the two sats that are working but it says I am current and there is no option to go back.

Once in a while my third sat after ‘resetting it’ will show up on the web application but then drops off before I can do the firmware upgrade.  BTW, this third sat never goes to a ‘white’ light... after powering up it always goes to ‘magenta’.  If I press the sync button it will flash ‘white’ but then goes out after a while.... but never connects.

I am at a loss and I am very tech savvy. 

Love to know why NetGear has gone backwards with their firmware releases and how to fix my sync of this third sat so it can be update and get it to connect.

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 11 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you tired turning OFF the other 2 Satellites and just working with the 3rd and the router alone? 

Was the 3rd satellite a recent add to the system or did it come with the system? 

Might connect the 3rd Satellie directly to the router, see if the router sees it, has a IP address then connect to that IP addresse to access the web page and manually update the FW using IE11 or FF browser...

@JFMGBwrote:

Having the same problem with my third satellite... I have reset the router and the other two sats and they reset to factory default settings.  My router and the two sats that sync with it are on firmware version V2.1.2.18. The one that won’t sync up is on firmware version V2.1.1.12.  When I reset it it goes back to my values/names for the unit and not back to factory.

I find it interesting that NetGear now shows V2.0.1.4 as the latest firmware version for Orbi’s... and shows V.2.1.2.18 (which is a higher number and technically newer/later) as being a prior version!  I have tried to move ‘back’ to V2.0.1.4 with my router and the two sats that are working but it says I am current and there is no option to go back.

Once in a while my third sat after ‘resetting it’ will show up on the web application but then drops off before I can do the firmware upgrade.  BTW, this third sat never goes to a ‘white’ light... after powering up it always goes to ‘magenta’.  If I press the sync button it will flash ‘white’ but then goes out after a while.... but never connects.

I am at a loss and I am very tech savvy. 

Love to know why NetGear has gone backwards with their firmware releases and how to fix my sync of this third sat so it can be update and get it to connect.

Message 12 of 33
TGeraci
Initiate

I have had the exact same problem!!! Monday it stopped working, it was planning white I tried to plug and unplug and then I got nothing. Tried to factory reset and nothing happened. Was suppose to get a new one shipped. On Monday they sent an email for me to pick what shipping option on I wanted. Link didn’t work... I called Tuesday was told next day and 3-5 days weren’t available. Only option was 10 business days!! After I told them I have kids and I stream my cable and I NEEDED IT FASTER they said they can do next day for 29.90. After not receiving it on Wednesday I called and was told it could take 24-48 hours to process... obviously not “next day shipping”. But my credit card was charged. After calling again today when I did not receive it I was then told it wasn’t processed because I had to provide a proof of purchase?!?!? And my case was being sent to customer care which can take 2-3 days!!! I paid premium price to avoid these issues. I called corporate in California today but was only able to leave a message and now waiting for a call back. So I don’t have a solution either but if you figured out how to fix this I would love to know. It might happen faster than me getting a new one shipped out!!
Message 13 of 33
Kleumas
Tutor

Dear people, did anyone find out already how to factory reset everything? (Router and two satellites?). Like more people did, I press the reset button until it starts to flash amber. And then nothing else happens until it simply starts again with all the old settings. I did that on just one device and on all devices. But it doesn't make any difference.. Except for a nice color light show on top of the things. But all settings remain the same.

Kind regards, and thanks in advance for the info.
Thomas
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 14 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?

Try doing a factory reset from the routers web page UI? Under Advanced Tab/Backup Settings section.

Besure to clear out all browser caches. Try a different browser as well.

@Kleumas wrote:
Dear people, did anyone find out already how to factory reset everything? (Router and two satellites?). Like more people did, I press the reset button until it starts to flash amber. And then nothing else happens until it simply starts again with all the old settings. I did that on just one device and on all devices. But it doesn't make any difference.. Except for a nice color light show on top of the things. But all settings remain the same.

Kind regards, and thanks in advance for the info.
Thomas

Message 15 of 33
JFMGB
Tutor

Short answer is NO, never could... until they just released a new update for the base and satellites, that took on all of my satellites including the one that would not reset or update.  I did have to be patient, after the base unit updated it took two days before all the good satellites updated, then I forced the bad one by doing the unplugging, then pressing and holding the reset until the light didn't just turn yellow but flashed.  Then I powered it off and then restarted it and it connected and update as well.  All units now work great!

Message 16 of 33
Kleumas
Tutor

Hi Furry,
Tnx for the quick reply. I do not have a password or so. So I cannot log in to the thing I think, without resetting it.. Or is there a way?

Kind regards
Message 17 of 33
Kleumas
Tutor

Jfmgb! Thank you too for the quick response.. Do you know if I can update the firmware (by the way, furry, I don't know which firmware I have since I can't log in) without login?

Kind regards
Message 18 of 33
JFMGB
Tutor

Don't know, I've always had a password.  Upon reset to flashing led on the power switch it may not need it.  I had to hold the paperclip on the reset for about 2 mins to get to that point.

Message 19 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

I would disconnect the router from the modem and ALL other devices accept 1 wired PC. Do the reset pin button in back, hold it until the top LED turns on Amber, then it should start to blink WHITE then pulsate slowly WHITE. If you get to this point, you should be able to log in at 192.168.1.1 or orbilogin.com and set up the router from scratch. If this fails, you'll need to contact NG support.

@Christian_R

@Blanca_O

@Kleumas wrote:
Hi Furry,
Tnx for the quick reply. I do not have a password or so. So I cannot log in to the thing I think, without resetting it.. Or is there a way?

Kind regards

Message 20 of 33
Kleumas
Tutor

Yes! It worked! Not immediately though. But after repeating the exact same thing there times.. I did get different result. Uhm.. Yes.

But it works! Thank you for your help!
Message 21 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure you walk thru the set up wizard and write down important information for safe keeping and use later on if needed.

Enjoy, Smiley Wink

@Kleumas wrote:
Yes! It worked! Not immediately though. But after repeating the exact same thing there times.. I did get different result. Uhm.. Yes.

But it works! Thank you for your help!

Message 22 of 33
Kleumas
Tutor

Yes, today I finished the rest of the setup.. And I must say.. Wifi is very good now. Fast and everywhere!

Tnx!

Message 23 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Besure to safe off a router configuration to file for safe keeping.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 33
Kleumas
Tutor

Thnx 🙂
Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7