Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite Will Not Factory Reset?

FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 26 of 33
walsh_j
Aspirant

In general configuration of the system seems VERY brittle I have RBS20 base station with two RBS20 satellites and an RBS50 which I use for the ethernet port fan in.

System working fine. I was foolish enough to try and enable guest network and I lost the RBS50 which has a line of sight to the main router on an upstairs landing and is approx 5M away. Turned off a guest network and still could not reconnect to the RBS50. Then did the factory reset no joy after several attempts.

I saw this tip - turned off the two satellite RBS20 systems and then the RBS50 was able to connect to the main router. Once that was back I turned on the two RBS20 satellites and these reconnected. I now have all three satellites up again and connected.

It seems like an absolute design flaw to me that a satellite cant act as a transparent proxy for the main router and tunnel the protocol messages from a new satellite to the main router in the event that the new satellite has connected to another satellite ... I have worked as a design engineer (software) in computer networking for more than 30 years - this would be trivial to do in SW on the satellite could not be more than 20 lines of C code in a listener function attached to whatever proprietary TCP/IP port number that the Netgear use for the control flows between the satellite and the main router.

I found this tip to be useful - went through the whole reset rigmarole. Unable to get a satellite to connect - eventually got the RBS50 to re-register when I turned the other satellite systems off - why it was connecting to the other satellite boxes is a mystery to me as they are further away than the main router and have concrete walls attenuating the signals from between them and the RBS50 satellite whereas there is only about 5M of unobstructed air between the RBS50 and the main router.

Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 27 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for sharing. 

Distance between base router and satellite is a bit too close. 30 feet is recommended in between. Possible overlapping wifi signal may have done something to cause the one satellite to loose sync being to close. 

Also your RBS50 is working at a lower connection rate and not at it's full supported conenction rate of 1733Mb. The RBR20 operates at 866Mb. 

A good test would be to turn off the other satellites. Turn On Guest Network. Sync the RBS50 and then disable Guest Network again and see if the RBS50 fails to resync after the reboot of the RBR20 router. 

Ensure all units are up to date on FW. 

Good Luck. 

@walsh_j wrote:

In general configuration of the system seems VERY brittle I have RBS20 base station with two RBS20 satellites and an RBS50 which I use for the ethernet port fan in.

System working fine. I was foolish enough to try and enable guest network and I lost the RBS50 which has a line of sight to the main router on an upstairs landing and is approx 5M away. Turned off a guest network and still could not reconnect to the RBS50. Then did the factory reset no joy after several attempts.

I saw this tip - turned off the two satellite RBS20 systems and then the RBS50 was able to connect to the main router. Once that was back I turned on the two RBS20 satellites and these reconnected. I now have all three satellites up again and connected.

It seems like an absolute design flaw to me that a satellite cant act as a transparent proxy for the main router and tunnel the protocol messages from a new satellite to the main router in the event that the new satellite has connected to another satellite ... I have worked as a design engineer (software) in computer networking for more than 30 years - this would be trivial to do in SW on the satellite could not be more than 20 lines of C code in a listener function attached to whatever proprietary TCP/IP port number that the Netgear use for the control flows between the satellite and the main router.

I found this tip to be useful - went through the whole reset rigmarole. Unable to get a satellite to connect - eventually got the RBS50 to re-register when I turned the other satellite systems off - why it was connecting to the other satellite boxes is a mystery to me as they are further away than the main router and have concrete walls attenuating the signals from between them and the RBS50 satellite whereas there is only about 5M of unobstructed air between the RBS50 and the main router.

Message 28 of 33
SirSeamus
Aspirant

The satellite never shows attaches to system.

The router firmware is up to date.

The router firmware is unknown since it does not attach to system.

The reset on the satellite goes from green to blinking red and back to green.

The reset on the satellite never glows amber.

The top of the salellite continues to pulsate white, forever.

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 29 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

You can update the RBS first with out conneting it to the RBR with a wired PC/Mac. Wire connecrt a PC to the RBS and wait for the PC to get an IP address. Log in to the RBS web page at 192.168.1.250. Log in admin and PW is password. 

Make sure the RBS is on same version of FW as the RBR. 

@SirSeamus wrote:

The satellite never shows attaches to system.

The router firmware is up to date.

The router firmware is unknown since it does not attach to system.

The reset on the satellite goes from green to blinking red and back to green.

The reset on the satellite never glows amber.

The top of the salellite continues to pulsate white, forever.

Message 30 of 33
SirSeamus
Aspirant

Thanks for responding! I have a question.
How do I attach the RBS40 to the computer?
The RBS40 does not have a USB port.
The RBS40 has ethernet ports only.
My computer has only multiple USB ports.
My computer has one ethernet port used for input from my internet provider.

Message 31 of 33
SirSeamus
Aspirant

I tried to reset the RBS40 within 15 feet of unobstructed space from the RBR40 and it never attached. Just stayed blinking white and the reset button never turned amber. I will try to hardwire the RBS40 with my computer. I just do not know how to do that since the RBS40 only has ethernet ports.

Message 32 of 33
FURRYe38
Guru

You'll need to ensure you download the FW files you need for the RBS first to the PC with the ethernet port. 

Then connect the PC to the ethernet port on the RBS using the ethernet port on the back of the PC. 

@SirSeamus wrote:

Thanks for responding! I have a question.
How do I attach the RBS40 to the computer?
The RBS40 does not have a USB port.
The RBS40 has ethernet ports only.
My computer has only multiple USB ports.
My computer has one ethernet port used for input from my internet provider.

Message 33 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7