Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite Wiring

ccigas
Tutor

Orbi Satellite Wiring

Hello, I am looking to get a wifi mesh system for my house and was curious if the Orbi and the satellites could be wired together to create a better connection for the wifi? 

I know the Eero and Google Wifi can but with the Orbi it has 2 more LAN ports which could be useful with a switch for other wired products + one or two satellites. 

Currently I have 3 routers but the 2 satellite routers I have which are linksys don't provide good speeds. Can hooking up the Orbi router downstream to my main router work as well? By turning off the wifi on my main router I could use the Orbis just as a wifi hot spot then? 

Message 1 of 10
netwrks
Master

Orbi is not a mesh system. The  wireless extnders communicate with the base router using wireless backhaul (more of a start topology).  You can configure the Orbi to run in Access Point mode (Ethernet connection back to a router in your network). (Orbi Review)

Message 2 of 10
ccigas
Tutor

Would you need an Orbi router for that or could I use the satellites on my own router, an ASUS RT-AC88U. 

Message 3 of 10
netwrks
Master

The sats (extenders) work weith the Orbi only..

Message 4 of 10
ccigas
Tutor

Ok I understand now, and this will work if I wire them together right?

Message 5 of 10
netwrks
Master

If you are talking about Ethernet connecting the Orbi router ( configured in Access Point mode) to your Asus, then yes. Let the Asus be your DHCP Server. The Satellites that come with the Orbi are wireless - no cables.   

Message 6 of 10
ccigas
Tutor

No I mean from the Orbi router to the satellites. If I bought this I wouldn't be able to run a cable from one of the 3 LAN ports on the Orbi router to one of the four LAN ports on any of the satellites? Just like putting a second router in a bridge mode which I have now? 

So even though this is a tri-band product they take a step back and not allow wired connections unlike Google Wifi, not sure about Eero. That is kind of annoying, I would rather have the ability to wire my satellites for a more stable connection. 

Message 7 of 10

@ccigas wrote:

So even though this is a tri-band product they take a step back and not allow wired connections unlike Google Wifi, not sure about Eero. That is kind of annoying, I would rather have the ability to wire my satellites for a more stable connection. 

its not a step back , its the way its designed

why would you want any of these expensive mesh systems anyway if you already have structured ethernet cabling , this makes no sense to me just get some working AP's and away you go and prob cheaper than any of these mesh systems anyway

the orbi is designed for those that dont have / want or cant have structured ethernet cabling , it might be nice if it did it but the logic of buying the orbi wouldnt make sense , this would be the same for google wifi or eero etc etc , to use ethernet to connect the end points removes the one thing they are tring to achieve and thats whole home wifi coverage without the need for wires

Message 8 of 10
rwiegand
Aspirant

"why would you want any of these expensive mesh systems anyway if you already have structured ethernet cabling , this makes no sense to me just get some working AP's and away you go and prob cheaper than any of these mesh systems anyway"

I'd like to have a seamless single wifi network. Right now my barn/shop is too far from the wireless AP in the house to give a useable connection, while still being too strong to have devices like my phone switch automatically to the AP in the barn that is hard wired to my network. I end up manually resetting the wifi connection on my phone 10 times a day as I go back and forth. Not fun. 

Apparently Orbi won't work for what I want, but I've been many places where such sysems work perfectly. My Google Fu has not yet been up to uncovering how one achieves this. Any help would be much appreciated. 

Message 9 of 10
JMU1998
Luminary

ccigas - there is a separate idea exchange forum to discuss and request wired backhaul to satellite, please statehouse case here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/Netgear-Orbi-Wired-Sattelite/idi-p/1145210

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7