Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellite Won't Connect (Despite Blue Ring)

TheJ2017
Aspirant

Orbi Satellite Won't Connect (Despite Blue Ring)

I have not had any issues with my orbi router / satellite until just recently (possibly the newest firmware via autoupdate?) My router and satellite have always been in the same places and have worked fine until now. I cannot get my router to recognize or add my satellite. I have reset everything (power cycling - not factory resetting), and have tried to manually add the satellite via the software on the router login to no avail. The satellite ring is blue, as it has always been. Briefly, I saw the satellite show up on the devices screen and then disappear after about 5 seconds one time. I know it was the satellite, because I have all my other devices labeled and I was actively fooling with it trying to get it to connect. It showed up under the regular devices list though, and not at the top under the satellites tab. I don't know what's going on, as i haven't changed anything. I believe maybe this update has broken the link between satellite and router or something. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6
YabbadabbaDoooo
Apprentice

Re: Orbi Satellite Won't Connect (Despite Blue Ring)

What FW version are you running?  Netgear just released 1.12.0.20 since they acknowledged 1.12.0.18 had a bug in it.  What you are describing sounds very much like a FW issue and many others have experienced similar issues.  Unfortunately, you may have to do a Factory Reset depending on what FW version you are on.  I have the RBK40 AC2200 system and 1.11.0.20 has been the only FW my system has run smoothly on.  If you post a little more info I will see if I can help.  

Message 2 of 6
TheJ2017
Aspirant

It was 1.12.0.18, but i found out the satellite never upgraded and was still a lower firmware. I just guessed my satellite's login (since i couldn't see the 192.168.1.x number of the satellite since it wasn't connected. I upgraded the firmware to 1.12.0.18 and now it works. Thanks for offering to help!

Message 3 of 6
Nyfireman3097
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue. I am not tech savvy. And chance of helping me through it ?
Message 4 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

These are some steps you can follow on your end.

1. Power-cycle the satellite(unplug it, wait for 10-15 seconds, and plug it back). After this the satellite will automactically try to connect with the router. If the ring led on satellite turns blue, check under connected satellites on router GUI, if you can see the satellite or not.

2. If not, reset the satellite for  30 seconds. Follow the same steps as above.

Message 5 of 6
rawmill
Star

I just came across the same thing.  Drove me crazy for a day.  It is caused by a firmware issue.  My existing router and satellite were on 74, but I could not see the additional satellite, even though the indicator light was blue.

I went into the router's log file and searched on the MAC address of the additional satellite.  I found that it was indeed getting a DHCP address from the router.  I then went to the satellite's web interface and upgraded the firmware to the most recent, and after the reboot, it appeared in the web interface of the Orbi system, as well as the phone application.

I hope this helps someone else that is experiencing this issue.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7