Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite and Cat 5 connector - printer?

mgdurand1
Luminary

Orbi Satellite and Cat 5 connector - printer?

Hi.  Gave an Orbi system to a good friend.  Solved their network range problems.  However, they tell me that the wireless connection to an Epson printer seems to shut down regularly requiring a reboot of the printer a few times to resstablish connectivity.  To me that sounds like a printer issue as opposed to an Orbi issue.  But I am not there to troubleshoot.  They live out of town.  My question is, can I have them connect the printer via a Cat 5 cable to a satellite?  What more would be required to get that printer on the network and visible to other remote computers?  Never tried that but just a thought.  will keep looking online but thought I'd ask here.  Thanks.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 6
jerryschwartz
Apprentice

Does the printer even have a wired LAN connection? If it doesn't, then the answer is obvious. If it does, then I guess it would work. I can't promise that there won't be some issues with the Orbi, but the manufacturer probably wouldn't have put an ethernet connector on there if it weren't usable.

Message 2 of 6
mgdurand1
Luminary

Yes.  It has a wired LAN connection.  Every network printer I have ever seen has one.  Do you know of one that does not?  I'd be curious to know.  I also think it will work but was wondering if anyone had tried it and had it actually work.

Message 3 of 6
loomis1975
Luminary

I have a new HP Envy Photo 7155 network that does not have an ethernet port, wifi only. There are a lot of them now.  If you hook them up directly to a computer via USB, you lose a lot of functionality.  I have to reboot it once every week or two, as it eventually looses its wifi connection (wifi blue light on printer blinks).

Message 4 of 6
mgdurand1
Luminary

Shows my age!  Hard to imagine a network device without a cat5 port, but there you are!  Thanks.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 5 of 6
jerryschwartz
Apprentice

Same with my Canon Pixma, except that you don't lose functionality with the USB connection.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7