Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite and firmware problems

Chadweasel
Aspirant

Orbi Satellite and firmware problems

I recently installed my orbi system with a satellite. My problem is my satellite has the same name as my router but the satellite still uses the factory password while my router is using the password I gave it. I keep bouncing back and forth between router and satellite and having to re enter passwords. I also can’t update the firmware on my satellite because of this issue I believe. Any advice?
Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
webminster
Luminary

You can't set the password on a satellite via its UI page, there's no such option.  You might try, after verifying the router and satellite are connected, to reset the password through the router (change it to something, then change it to the desired one).  This worked for me when I had a similar problem where the satellite didn't get a full sync and still had the factory default.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem? 

Did you first test up the router and set up a unique wireless SSID name. There will be only one SSID name broadcast. After setting up the Satellite, the Satellite will also broadcast the same SSID name as well. 

Does the Satellite how and display under Connected Clients? It will have it's own IP address that differs from the routers IP address. You can connect to the Satellites web page using this IP address. 

You can use an ethernet cable to the back of the Satellite and connect a PC directly to it and manually update the FW if needed. 

I recommend testing the system out before you update anything. Been issues in recent FW updates. 

@Chadweaselwrote:
I recently installed my orbi system with a satellite. My problem is my satellite has the same name as my router but the satellite still uses the factory password while my router is using the password I gave it. I keep bouncing back and forth between router and satellite and having to re enter passwords. I also can’t update the firmware on my satellite because of this issue I believe. Any advice?

Message 2 of 12
Chadweasel
Aspirant

My isp modem is Ubee model DDE36C.
I set up my router and then set up my SSID and password. The problem I’m having is the satellite is still using the manufacturer password but is using my SSID.
I’m not so much concerned with updating the firmware as I am having the same password for my modem and satellite.
Model: RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

if you can access the Satellites web page, see if you can set a PW on it with in the UI. If not, you might contact NG support about this.

The Satellite should get and use the same log in and pw as you set up on the Orbi router after the Satellite connects...

@Chadweaselwrote:
My isp modem is Ubee model DDE36C.
I set up my router and then set up my SSID and password. The problem I’m having is the satellite is still using the manufacturer password but is using my SSID.
I’m not so much concerned with updating the firmware as I am having the same password for my modem and satellite.

Message 4 of 12
webminster
Luminary

You can't set the password on a satellite via its UI page, there's no such option.  You might try, after verifying the router and satellite are connected, to reset the password through the router (change it to something, then change it to the desired one).  This worked for me when I had a similar problem where the satellite didn't get a full sync and still had the factory default.

Message 5 of 12
bfeley
Initiate

I, like many others, am done with Netgear Orbi. I work from home and need my wifi to perform reliably, anything short of that reflects on me negatively as a professional. I purchased eero a week ago, and wifi has been rock solid ever since; not a single issue. Time to sell my Orbi and recoup at least some of my worthless investment... never again Netgear.

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

The OP only mentioned that his problem is with the Satellite not getting same log in info as router. Hasn't said his system isn't working well.

Message 7 of 12
Chadweasel
Aspirant

My system is working well other than the problem in my original post. The range of the extender is far better than anything else I’ve tried.
Message 8 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if the suggestions work for you to get the desired PW on the Satellite.

@Chadweaselwrote:

Message 9 of 12
Chadweasel
Aspirant

I will report back once I get it figured out. Thanks for the help everyone!
Message 10 of 12
Chadweasel
Aspirant

I changed my password then changed it back again. Now the satellite took the password and everything is working great. Thanks everyone !
Message 11 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements