Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Sattelite connect to anoter Satellite?

max911turbo
NETGEAR Expert

Orbi Satellite connect to another Satellite? Daisy Chain

I know Orbi Satellite cannot connect to another Satellite but router, however, isn't that you need to be able to do the daisy chain ( Mesh topology) to claim as the mesh system? Can anyone answer my question?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
BretD
Admin

If you download the latest version of the Orbi Bios and OrbiOS 2.0 You can now Daisy Chain. Give it a try and let us know how it worked for you. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/orbi.aspx

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 12

All Replies
st_shaw
Master

Orbi is not a mesh system.  It's star topology.  All satellites link to the router.

Message 2 of 12
cue003
Apprentice

The Orbi system isn't a mesh system. It is a star topology system at this point. Because it isn't mesh every satellite must connect back through the router and cannot daisy chain to other satellites for increased reach.
Message 3 of 12
max911turbo
NETGEAR Expert

Yes that's what I thought so. Reason why I'm asking was because Orbi market itself as the mesh wifi system which is kind of misleading, so I thought they have different implementation but looks like they don't.

Message 4 of 12
BretD
Admin

If you download the latest version of the Orbi Bios and OrbiOS 2.0 You can now Daisy Chain. Give it a try and let us know how it worked for you. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/orbi.aspx

Message 5 of 12
andykuww
Aspirant

I don't know how to setup too

Message 6 of 12
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello andykuww

Are you having issues adding another satellite?

DarrenM

Message 7 of 12
andykuww
Aspirant

I do it today, it’s good, like from router to sattelite, it connect automatic to this method.
Message 8 of 12
rewan
Aspirant

Tried updating the firmware with RBS50-V2.0.0.74

Did not work - said it was not correct for the Orbi

Message 9 of 12
BretD
Admin

Be aware that the different Routers and Satellites have separate Firmware files. Do you have the RBK50 system? This means you would have the RBR and RBS 50 firmwares. Ensure you are using the correct files. Thanks!

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/rbk50.aspx#download

Message 10 of 12
rewan
Aspirant

Yes, that was my problem - I did not notice the single letter difference in the middle of the long filename. Perhaps it would be a good idea to make them more obvious? Especially as they are bothe exactly the same size.

Message 11 of 12
mike34
Aspirant

I updated my Orbi system to 0.74 and it seems to be working fine. I noticed that the satellite no longer shows up on the network map. Is that because it is now daisy chaining or due to something else? The sat is synced. Thanks.
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7