Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite connection to main router

P-Dog
Tutor

Orbi Satellite connection to main router

Can the Orbi satellite be connected via cat6 cable to the main Orbi router?
Message 1 of 6
P-Dog
Tutor

Message 2 of 6
loomis1975
Luminary

No, you cannot do ethernet backhaul currently between Orbi Router and Orbi Satellite.

The satellite only talks with the router via dedicated wireless backhaul.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 3 of 6
P-Dog
Tutor

Well that's a deal breaker!  I am looking for a good mesh network, I really like netgear products.  Do you recommend any?

Message 4 of 6
loomis1975
Luminary

Well technically Orbi is Star, not mesh anyways, as each satellite only talks to the router.

I don't use mesh networks if I have wire runs, I use switches and APs.

I have a Linksys Velop mesh system setup, it is using wireless backhaul in my application, but it can use Ethernet backhaul after initial setup if you wish, and you can have some wired and some wireless. It has a less capable wireless backhaul than the Orbi, but that really doesn't matter if you are using wiring. It's setup options is more limited than the Orbi, and they steer you to use a Android or iOS app for setup and options.
Message 5 of 6

Using just a router and AP won't allow you to walk around your house playing a game on your phone (for example). The Orbi can switch which station your connected to without a blip in the game - the problem is I'm terribly muffled by the wireless backhaul being slow and through exterior walls.

This system would be worth it with a wireless backhaul over router/AP. 🙂
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7