Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite dead after 2.1.2.18 update

jeff242
Aspirant

Orbi Satellite dead after 2.1.2.18 update

I noticed that my Orbi satellite suddently stopped responding.   I logged into the the router and found that it had automatically updated both router and satellite to 2.1.2.18 firmware.  However, the satellite was noted as disconnected in the UI. 

I rebooted both satellite and router to no avail.  I then clicked the 'remove' button in the UI to remover the satellite, thinking I could re-add it.   I then went to the satellite to get it reset. 

However, when I power up the satellite, the power light is green but there is never a white circle on the top, nor is there a circle of any color.  I attempted to reset the satellite by depressing the reset pin hole.  I feel the button depress, but the power light never turns from green to amber.  The sync button does nothing. 

Did the firmware update brick the satellite?  Anyone have any ideas? 

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
jeff242
Aspirant

Replying to my own thread:

After hitting the reset button and holding it for one minute, there was still no light change.  I unplugged and restarted the satellite, still with only a green powerlight and nothing else.  After about *20* minutes I got a pulsing white ring.  I then hit sync and synced from the UI. 

First attempt the UI said "success" but the ring was magenta.  Restarted the satellite.  Second attempt the UI said "failure" bt the satellite ring was blue.  Logged out and back into the UI and the satellite was found, but with 2.1.1 firmware. 

I started the firmware update process, which downloaded fine, indicated it was ready to upload to the satellite, and proceeded.  There were no errors, afterwards, the satellite reported in the UI as not being found/disconnected again.  Right back to square one where I started. 

Frustrated, I went to bed. Got up this morning, and the satellite is now alive, with the right firmware, and running fine.  I am not sure what happened but somehow it sorted itself out. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Not knowing what version of Orbi you have I cannot say for sure, but it is working well on my RBK53.

Are you sure you held the reset long enough - many people don't. 

Message 2 of 8
jeff242
Aspirant

Replying to my own thread:

After hitting the reset button and holding it for one minute, there was still no light change.  I unplugged and restarted the satellite, still with only a green powerlight and nothing else.  After about *20* minutes I got a pulsing white ring.  I then hit sync and synced from the UI. 

First attempt the UI said "success" but the ring was magenta.  Restarted the satellite.  Second attempt the UI said "failure" bt the satellite ring was blue.  Logged out and back into the UI and the satellite was found, but with 2.1.1 firmware. 

I started the firmware update process, which downloaded fine, indicated it was ready to upload to the satellite, and proceeded.  There were no errors, afterwards, the satellite reported in the UI as not being found/disconnected again.  Right back to square one where I started. 

Frustrated, I went to bed. Got up this morning, and the satellite is now alive, with the right firmware, and running fine.  I am not sure what happened but somehow it sorted itself out. 

Message 3 of 8
spturnip
Tutor

My network was down also after the firmware push update to V2.1.2.18.  Finally isolated the problem to the satellite and after some trial and error got the network running again.

I need a stable system when I am out of town traveling and my family cannot troubleshoot the network.  Is there a way to Op OUT of getting push firmware updates?  Just send me a notification and I will perform a manual update.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 8
sleepr88
Apprentice

Netgear, since you can't seem to fix the Orbi, are you going to start issuing refunds? or exchanging everyone to Orbi Pros (which doesn't appear to have these problems, because you value business customers over regular consumers?)?

Message 5 of 8
dpdurst
Luminary

Class action lawsuit might be the way to go here.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 6 of 8

I'm just a week over my costco 90 day return period and my orbi router and two satelittes are useless... these had previously worked pretty well for me over the first 90 days.  I'm stunned that I am now dead in the water.  I tried rolling back to the previous version and then to 2.1.1.12 without any reliability in my orbi's.  Not sure what happened but this is crazy.  I went to best buy and purchased velop in the meantime.  It's not as fast as the orbi but it got me back up and running in the meantime.  I am still pressing support to fix my orbis.  too much $ for this to not work any more ... come on netgear, clearly us orbi users need some help.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 7 of 8
tagteam
Virtuoso

Costco's 90-day return limitation does not apply to routers, such as the Orbi system.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7