Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellite dropping Wifi repeatedley throughout the day and occasionally needs rebooting

NotSoHappyNow
Aspirant

Orbi Satellite dropping Wifi repeatedley throughout the day and occasionally needs rebooting

Purchased the RBR50 with RBS50 kit 11 months ago.  All was great, stable connections, boxes never needed rebooting, no Wifi drops etc.

Around 5 months ago the Satellite started to drop the Wifi connection multiple times per day.  It would recover after 3 mins or so (white lights pulsing then to blue light).  Thinking there may be conflicts with other devices (no reason why there should as there have been no changes at all in the house this year in that regard) I changed the channel settings but that had no effect whatsoever.

More recently the Satellite is also dropping the connection completely and not recovering requiring it to be rebooted.  This is becoming more regular now.

Both issues affect all devices connected to the Satellite until it has recovered.  Those devices include phones, TVs, connected thermostat, internet radio and others.

Having read other users experiences in the forum I can see I am not alone with these types of issues and various "fixes" have been suggested but for the most part do not seem to have addressed the problem.  It's interesting to see that some have gone back to a previous firmware level and reported positive results.

I suspect my boxes have auto upgraded the firmware and so that may be when the issue was introduced.

I see DarrenM (Netgear moderator) has put users in touch with the support team to work through the issues so hopefully that offer will also be made for me.

Considering this is a high end product it's a shame that it's currently no better, possibly even worse, than a budget brand and tainting my view of Netgear products.  I expected better when paying the high end price.

Firmware level I'm currently running for both devices is: 2.0.0.74

I have considered upgrading to the latest but the release notes don't mention fixing the problem I have so I've not bothered.

Would appreciate Netgear getting in contact so we can work this through to resolution.

If anyone in the community can give suggestions on fixes for this that have worked I'd appreciate it.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 5
t19999mac
Initiate

Re: Orbi Satellite dropping Wifi repeatedley throughout the day and occasionally needs rebooting

Same problem. I asked for solution for a while. But still no right solution to solve it.

Message 2 of 5
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi Satellite dropping Wifi repeatedley throughout the day and occasionally needs rebooting

Send me a PM with your name email and phone number and a short explanation of the issues you face and I will get you over to support.

DarrenM

Message 3 of 5
UnCapitano
Apprentice

Darren,

Please do the same for me.  I am using Comcast Gigabit, and for a while I kept complaining to Comcast about their service being awful, but then I started seeing that others were having issues with their Orbi systems.  I have a Router with two satellites connected, running the latest available firmware (not the Beta).  

We lose internect connection daily or our download speeds don't approach the speed that is coming in through the cable wire (at least not consistently).  So, can you help me figure out what is going on with the system?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 4 of 5
NotSoHappyNow
Aspirant

Darren got in touch and recommended upgrading to 2.1 to see if that fixed the issue.

I’ve seen it drop at least twice since then so initial results are not encouraging.

Does anyone know how to get a history of the satellite drops by interrogating the router? maybe through a CLI?
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7