Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite dropping connection to VOIP

dctheobald
Tutor

Orbi Satellite dropping connection to VOIP

I have the RBR50 router and 2 RBS50 satellites - each device is on a separate floor of my 3 story house.  They are close enough in proximity with each other as they do not show issues in the Orbi console.  I have an Avaya VOIP wired into one satellite.  Periodically the VOIP reboots as it loses internet connectivity via the satellite, however nothing else connected to that satellite nor the internet service (mediacom) coming into the house are impacted.  It seems like this one satellite is just dropping on its own schedule.  I'm running firmware version v2.1.2.18 on the router and both satellites.  I'm not seeing any other service issues with the router or other satellite.  Any suggestions?  To me, it appears this satellite is broken. 😞

Model: RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 12
webminster
Luminary

Perhaps you can swap the satellites, to see if the problem persists or if it really was that satellite with issues...

Message 2 of 12
dctheobald
Tutor

Yup - this is the science project i'm going to try this week and see if the other satellite is fine when it's connected to the VOIP.

Message 3 of 12
SBell
Guide

I had a similar problem with an Ooma VOIP box connected to an Apple Airport Extreme. It turned out I had the Ooma too close to the router and the strength of the WiFi signal was interfering with it and causing it to reboot and do all sorts of crazy stuff. Moved the Ooma a few feet away and it worked fine. Might be worth a try.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 12
dctheobald
Tutor

For your Ooma, was it ethernet cabled into the router?  I'm curious why the device would be impacted by wifi signal if it's cabled in?  I switched satellites and still had the Avaya reboot mid-call...so it doesn't seem to be a particular satellite acting poorly....

Message 5 of 12
SBell
Guide

Yes, it was Ethernet cabled to the router. I never would have expected it was the issue since it was hardwired, but after I finally broke down and called Ooma support, it was one of the first things they asked about so they obviously knew it was an issue. Probably just poor shielding of the electronics in the Ooma box.

I’m not saying that’s the case with yours, but it’s an easy thing to check and rule out. But the Orbi is such a mess, it’s probably something you’re going to spend weeks troubleshooting and never get an answer. I’m having tons of internet and network drop outs with my RBK50 and 2 Satellites. Some 2.4 GHz devices won’t connect at all, streaming drops, etc. etc. The amount of time I’ve wasted trying fix various issues with this thing is ridiculous. So far the Orbi has been nothing but problems. They should really either get their firmware sorted out finally, or offer people refunds. Sorry my advice turned into an anti Orbi rant!

Message 6 of 12
dctheobald
Tutor

I've played around with some of the WAN settings tonight to turn off SIP ALG to see if this helps....

Message 7 of 12
dctheobald
Tutor

After turning off SIP ALB (under WAN settings) and Backhaul Daisy Chain Topology (under Advanced Setup>Wireless settings) it seems the satellite isn't dropping my wired in VOIP, but the voice quality is still pretty choppy.  Was hoping there was a QoS control settings but nothing seems to work in the hidden /QOS_main.htm page....

Message 8 of 12
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

I know your issue is specific to VOIP, but I believe I know what you're running into. I believe it's likely that what you're seeing is the various WDS (backhaul) issues that show up with the Orbi's. Especially with devices that are "chatty".

If I'm right, and what would be hard to prove unless you can make your VOIP device use a different MAC, there is nothing you can do about it. Here's my related post. Hopefully it saves you some time.

Message 9 of 12
dctheobald
Tutor

Thanks for sharing, your summary is pretty helpful!  I narrowed my issue down to the backhaul stability as well and found it wasn't just the VOIP but any high-bandwidth device like my Lifesize Video screen as well....i've decided to give the ethernet daisy chaining option a try but need to get an electrician out my office to install some cabling to try it due to the locations of my router and satellites.  This is more work than i was hoping from this expensive system....

Message 10 of 12
t_k
Luminary
Luminary

dctheobald - Since you mentioned wiring your office, I have more bad news! A few weeks ago I finally broke down and paid to have my home wired (which cost thousands of dollars). There are three people that work from my home frequently. After a year of being interrupted to look at the Orbi's multiple times almost every day, I finally caved and spent the money.

I know for certain that the ethernet backaul feature of the Orbi's, at least as of firmware version 2.1.2.18, is too unstable to use. There is no way to force the Orbi to use either the ethernet or wireless backhaul, and the system will not consistently stay on one or the other. The net effect is that you can end up with both the original stability issues (if an Orbi decides to use a wireless backhaul for whatever reason), or deal with a broadcast loop caused by a multi-path issue (both a wired and wireless path to a MAC address), or deal with random "cut outs" for all devices as the Orbi changes from using an ethernet vs wireless backhaul.

Also, even if the Orbi's stayed on the ethernet backhaul for the day, I still ended up having to restart one of them nearly every day.

Since I had paid to wire my home anyway, I spent $650 more and just bought a Unifi 5 pack. Litterally, 0 issues since then and it's been several weeks. No drops, no pauses, no complaints, it just works. I'm even able to do proper channel organization, though that's just a bonus. Interference was never the problems with the Orbi's. For reference, I have between 6-10 devices using traffic all day, and 20-30 devices using traffic intermittiedly.

If you're paying to wire the place, just get a more professional product (like Unifi's or, really, anything else).

Message 11 of 12
dctheobald
Tutor

Good to know - thanks!  I figured wiring my home office had two main options:

1) hard wire the daisy change between the Orbi router and the satellite in my office

or

2) hard wire my VOIP and video screen directly throught the wall to the router and let the satellite operate on wifi on it's own - essentially move the chatty devices directly into the router.  

I had no issues with setup #2 previously when the router was physically in my office so i suspect this is the way to go.  

Kind of a bummer to have to buy $500 system just to dump it due to instability.... grrr.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7