Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellite dropping connection

Orbi Satellite dropping connection

I am having issues with my Orbi Satelitte.  My orbi satelitte is connected directly to my computer through ethernet.  It is about 15 feet away from the main unit and modem.  When I connect my computer through wifi and turn the satelitte off I have no issues. When I use the ethernet or if I am connected through wifi to the satelitte I get consistent packet loss about once every 30 minutes.  It does not appear to be my ISP or modem as far as I can tell since when I am connected via the main router the issues don't happen.  I beleive my unit is defective.  

I have tried to do the following:

Move the satelitte to different locations (doesn't seem to help)

Done a hard reset of the satelitte (doesn't seem to help)

I can provide any logs or other data needed to help troubleshoot.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions

Re: Orbi Satellite dropping connection

I did update my firmware.  I used a direct connection using ethernet from my modem to my computer without the Orbi at all.  I then captured the exact moment the issue happened twice with wireshark.  I watched packet loss happen directly on my other screen in wireshark.  I think at this point its obviously not the Orbi and I need to get the ISP invovled.  I am sure its a cabling issue from the drop line to my place. 

I appreciate all the help! I am glad its not the Orbi!

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 19

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
15 feet is a bit too close. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 19

What FW is currently loaded? V2.2.1.210
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? Netgear Model: C3000
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?  Router

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 1500 
15 feet is a bit too close. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. I previously had this further away but the connection issues made me try closer.  

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. I am manually set to 11.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? 8 different networks by me.
What WPA security modes are you using? WPA2-PSK [AES]

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

I have disabled all of the above and mimo/beamforming are checked.  I didn't see an option for 20/40Mhz Coexistence to make it 40mhz only so I disabled it assuming thats what you meant. I will test some more with these settings.  

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, unchecking the box makes for 40Mhz only. 

See if anything changes. Distance should be starting at 30 feet. 

Is ALL wifi on the C3000 disabled? Make sure it is as this is a modem/router combo unit. 

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Also there is newer FW available: 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-NetGear-Orbi-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-32-now/m-p...

Message 4 of 19
Chuck_M
Mentor

After checking the other things listed above, you may want to try and factory reset that satellite and reconnect it to your router.  Sounds to me like it may not be paired properly/completely.

Message 5 of 19

Sorry my mistake I actually have a CM1000.  Its cable modem only.  

Message 6 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah ok, thats good then Modem only. Thanks for letting us know. 

@NetworkDude696 wrote:

Sorry my mistake I actually have a CM1000.  Its cable modem only.  

Message 7 of 19

Updated both the satelitte and router firmware to the latest version 2.3.0.32 manually while doing a checkpoint at 2.2.1.212.  I will keep everyone posted.

Message 8 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 19

Im seeing about 8 packets out of 300 requests drop out.  So anywhere between a 2-0% loss.  I am just pinging google with -t and playing a game on the side.  Generally when it happens i see the game freeze while my ping requests time out which indicates some packet loss on my network at least to me.

Message 10 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this with a wired PC connected at the base or satellite? 

Can you run pings from the PC to the base then connect a pc to the satllite and run pings to the sattellite then thru the satellite to the base? 

Any other devices online when your running ping tests? 

Has a factory reset been performed since you updated the system and setup from scratch? 

Message 11 of 19

Sorry for the delayed response.  The PC is wired connected to a satelitte.  I am starting to think I may have been previously wrong about it being a router/satelittle issue.  I can still see some requests being dropped at the router level while connected to it via wifi.  These are less pronounced than at the satelitte level which I can think would be expected with the extra hop.  In light of this I am going to do some more tests by bringing my work laptop home and direct connecting it to my modem via ethernet cable.  

I have about 9 other devices connected to the network but none of them should be doing anything of value.  These are things like Alexa and Tvs.

I will have to figure out the IPs to run the pings requested but should be able to do so tonight.  

Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok sounds good. I would turn OFF ALL other devices while testing. You don't want any kind of interferences while testing just to be sure. 

Keep us posted. Smiley Wink

Message 13 of 19

Will do thanks

Message 14 of 19

I am still testing.  I am getting a 40 foot ethernet cable to help verify.  Sorry just haven't have time lately. 

Message 15 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 16 of 19
Chuck_M
Mentor

I would certainly update system to current firmware (.44) before doing anything else.  

There are several tweaks made in that newer version which may be casual to your issue.

I think also in your case I would do a factory reset after FW upgrade and reinitialize to see if that fixed the issues.

Message 17 of 19

I did update my firmware.  I used a direct connection using ethernet from my modem to my computer without the Orbi at all.  I then captured the exact moment the issue happened twice with wireshark.  I watched packet loss happen directly on my other screen in wireshark.  I think at this point its obviously not the Orbi and I need to get the ISP invovled.  I am sure its a cabling issue from the drop line to my place. 

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Great you found where the touble seems to be coming from. Hope the ISP will get it fixed soon.

Thanks for letting us know. 
Good Luck. 

@NetworkDude696 wrote:

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7