Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellite issues...or is it me?

OrbiOwner34
Aspirant

Orbi Satellite issues...or is it me?

I am having an issue since I purchased it actually and I am finally reaching out for help.   I am technical but this issue is stumping me.

I have a 3 level home where my Orbi Router is on floor 1 and my Orbi Satellite is on floor 3.  I get good signal but always had suspect performance based on the reviews I saw.  I have alot of devices so rightly or wrongly, I decided to add a wired backhaul.  Cable tests perfectly.

So my problem is when i check on the connection status I see that the satellite is still connecting over 5G.    The instructions suggest it should flip to the cabled connection and I dont see how I have any control over this myself.

The other issue I noted it all my devices cling to my router.   I am on the 3rd floor with my TV that has great signal to the satellite and poor signal to the router and it reflects connected to the router.   The satellite is connected fine but every device in the house defaults to the router and does not connect to the satellite.

I have supported alot of Enterprise wireless systems but I am just stumped.   I dont feel like I have control over any of that and its expected to be automated but what do i do when its not?  If I am missing something in documentation somewhere I am happy to do all the work I just dont see it.

Thanks in advance

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
vajim
Master

Re: Orbi Satellite issues...or is it me?

IMHO...that's too many floors to get through.  Can you move your Orbi Router and sat closer if you want to rely on wifi?

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@OrbiOwner34 wrote:

I decided to add a wired backhaul.  Cable tests perfectly.

So my problem is when i check on the connection status I see that the satellite is still connecting over 5G.    The instructions suggest it should flip to the cabled connection and I dont see how I have any control over this myself.

Correct. The owner has no control over which backhaul the satellite uses. 'Normal' behavior is to use a wired backhaul because it gives better performance. How was the cable tested?

There are two easy tests that can be done:

1. Temporarily bring the satellite next to the router and connect it with a regular ethernet patch cable.
    It takes several minutes to switch from WiFi to wired backhaul.
    If the satellite does switch, then something about the cable path between router and satellite is 'not right'.
    Is there a switch of some kind in the mix? A patch panel?
  2. If there is a device with a gigabit ethernet port on it (laptop?), connect that device in place of the satellite.
    It has to be a gigabit port.
    Does the device connect?
    Then open the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab, and click on the blue box "Show Statistics".
    The LAN port that the device is connected to should show 1000M/Full.
    If it does not, then the cable path is suspect.

A lot of the time, there is nothing wrong with the actual ethernet cable, but one of the RJ45 terminators is crimped incorrectly.  When I run ethernet cables, I always leave extra because I sometimes have to cut off connectors and put on new ones.

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@OrbiOwner34 wrote:

The other issue I noted it all my devices cling to my router.   I am on the 3rd floor with my TV that has great signal to the satellite and poor signal to the router and it reflects connected to the router.   The satellite is connected fine but every device in the house defaults to the router and does not connect to the satellite.

This is a common complaint about mesh WiFi systems.  Can you be more specific about which devices are affected?

Are they all devices that do not move?

What happens if a smartphone or tablet is connected to the router and then taken upstairs and close to the satellite?

There is a theory that many devices have WiFi software that stops scanning for WiFi access points once it has successfully connected to one, whereas "things that move" have software that constantly assesses the environment. (I believe there are actual 802.1 standards about roaming that dictate how devices and access points communicate and decide when to switch.)

It might worth a few minutes to go into the network setup for that TV, "forget" the Orbi WiFi, then connect again and see which Orbi it connected to.

The other part of that theory is that the router WiFi signal comes up first and devices may connect to the router before they are aware of the satellite WiFi.  This should happen only when the system is restarted.  I keep all my network electronics on small a UPS so that miinor power outages do not cause a restart.

The last poiint is, "Does it really matter?"  i.e. although we humans "know best" where a device should connect and are offended when it doesn't, does the TV actually work correctly?

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@OrbiOwner34 wrote:

Try turning down the power output of the RBRs wifi radios from 100% to 50% and see if this changes anything. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings. Might help with some devices to connect to the RBS rather than the RBR. 

Message 5 of 8
OrbiOwner34
Aspirant

Thank you, great feedback.

I used a cable pair tester.   I connected a laptop to it and I tested Internet speeds but I think based on your description I should try it again.  I will also use a different patch cable and bring the Orbi closer and see if it switches when with different cable.   I dont disagree that needs closer examination.  

As for being too far, that is what I thought and the reason I ran the cable to backhaul that service so it could dedicate the wireless to serving clients not keeping an established connection to the router.   The thing is the devices see eachother perfectly via wifi and the Orbi satellite backhaul status is on 5G and is "good".

Any pointers on my second problem?  My devices seemingly only connect to the router.  Even though the satellite appears to be operating fine they dont want to prefer that when i am closed to that device than the router.   Even absurdly closer.   

Thanks for the quick reply!

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

@OrbiOwner34 wrote:

Thank you, great feedback.

I used a cable pair tester.   I connected a laptop to it and I tested Internet speeds but I think based on your description I should try it again.  I will also use a different patch cable and bring the Orbi closer and see if it switches when with different cable.   I dont disagree that needs closer examination.  

As for being too far, that is what I thought and the reason I ran the cable to backhaul that service so it could dedicate the wireless to serving clients not keeping an established connection to the router.   The thing is the devices see eachother perfectly via wifi and the Orbi satellite backhaul status is on 5G and is "good".

Any pointers on my second problem?  My devices seemingly only connect to the router.  Even though the satellite appears to be operating fine they dont want to prefer that when i am closed to that device than the router.   Even absurdly closer.   

Thanks for the quick reply!

Message 7 of 8
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

NOT more than 30 feet

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7