Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellite - one computer has no internet, all others fine

Jethro_D
Aspirant

Orbi Satellite - one computer has no internet, all others fine

I have an Orbi RBR50 running in Access Point mode. I have about 15 connected devices in my home, usually with about half connected to the main router and half connected to the satellite. All devices work fine with the exception of my work computer (we'll call him "HP"). HP is closest to the satellite and thus typically connects to it; however, it's the only device in my household that says "Connect, No Internet" when connected. The only solution is to unplug the satellite, at which point HP instantly starts working.

This has me stumped because all my other devices work totally fine when connected to the satellite.

The one difference is that HP is a corporate device and uses Zscaler Private Access cloud-based security services. Could there be something there that's preventing the device from access the internet when it's connected to the satellite (i.e. could it think the satellite is spoofing my WiFi?) or are there any other suggestions to look into that might be within my control at home?

Cheers,
Jethro

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Satellite - one computer has no internet, all others fine

Something to contact the mfr about. If same thing happens with WPA disabled, then I would get the laptop reviewed. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Is the HP PC wireless or wire connected to the RBR? 

Does the HP PC work if it's connected wire or wireless to the RBR if you turn OFF all RBS? 

Message 2 of 8
Jethro_D
Aspirant

Firmware V2.3.5.30.

HP typically wireless to either RBR or RBS. However, as stated above, no internet connection when wireless to RBS.

HP connects just fine wired to either RBR (when RBS is on or off) and RBS.

Cheers,

Jethro

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you temporarily disable WPA security on the RBR and have the HP connect to the RBR or RBS? 
Re-enable WPA2 and AES after testing. 

How old is this laptop? New or old? 

Seems like a wifi adapter issue at the HP...

Message 4 of 8
Jethro_D
Aspirant

Same thing when I disable WPA2 and try connecting.

HP is about 1-1.5 years old.

I'm also beginning to suspect it's a laptop issue. I discovered something very odd. The laptop is typically docked in a docking station, with its lid closed, as I have a dual monitor setup. However, I noticed today while troubleshooting (out of the dock) that I wasn't having any issues whether I was connected to the RBR or RBS. So, back at my docking station, I verified that I was having the issue with the lid closed. Then, I cracked the lid open (just enough to turn on the laptop's display) and suddenly the internet began working as if I had unplugged the RBS. However, I didn't unplug the RBS - just opened the laptop's lid. I verified I was still connected to RBS through the Orbi app, and also ran a speed test and was achieving *much* higher speeds than typical in my office (due to being connected to the RBS and not the more distant RBR).

I've never seen a laptop behave this different when the lid is closed vs. open... very curious.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Something to contact the mfr about. If same thing happens with WPA disabled, then I would get the laptop reviewed. 

Message 6 of 8
Jethro_D
Aspirant

Going to close this one out as 'solved'. I ended up moving my satellite into the same room as my work laptop (HP), and connected the HP to the satellite via ethernet cable. This has completly solved my laptop problems, as well as a host of other USB issues I was having while connected to my docking station. As such, I agree this was an issue with my laptop setup and dock somehow conflicting with my laptop's WiFi adapter, and doesn't appear to be anything specific to the Orbi.

Cheers,

Jethro

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible faulty wifi adapter. I would get it looked at while you can. 

Thanks for letting us know. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7