Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellite wired but significantly slower than main router

Blair2201
Tutor

Orbi Satellite wired but significantly slower than main router

I recently installed an office pod in the back garden and ran a Cat 6 cable from the main switch (connected to RBR40) out to the pod (about 30 mtrs).  The cat 6 is then hard wired to a RBS40.    When I run a wifi test speed near the main router I'm getting around 300mbps, however, when I run the same test in the pod I get 94 mbps.  The connection frequency is 5Ghz.

I would welcome any suggestions to fix this, it's driving me mad! 

Model: RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to disable then re-enable the wifi radio on your mobile device before testing speeds at the RBS. Helps to ensure the device connected at the RBS and not the RBR. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 5
Blair2201
Tutor

Thank you Furry for your advice, I'll check your proposed settings out tomorrow and report back.  

Interesting though, I checked the wired speed on my PC in the pod, that was only getting 94mbps, so my satellite router's performance is significantly reduced by the speed coming through the wired connection.

Now I'm struggling to understand why the switch that the pod is connected to delivers 300mbps to my PC but only 30mtrs of cable drops that to a 3rd of the speed?  But that would explain the wifi speed from the RBS.

Any ideas?

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Please give some feed back to the questions presented. 

@Blair2201 wrote:

Thank you Furry for your advice, I'll check your proposed settings out tomorrow and report back.  

Interesting though, I checked the wired speed on my PC in the pod, that was only getting 94mbps, so my satellite router's performance is significantly reduced by the speed coming through the wired connection.

Now I'm struggling to understand why the switch that the pod is connected to delivers 300mbps to my PC but only 30mtrs of cable drops that to a 3rd of the speed?  But that would explain the wifi speed from the RBS.

Any ideas?

Message 4 of 5
theoak
Luminary

So to restate ... you have:

Orbi Router - Switch - Orbi Satellite

Off the Swith you get 300.  Off the Satellite you get 90.  Correct?

There is a recommend configuration and port setup when hard wiring the router to the satellite.

Orbi Ethernet Backhaul 

The Orbi devices can be sensitive to the types of switches used.  General rule is unmanaged and not green powered increases your odds of success.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7