Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellite won't connect after power outage

pmjoen
Aspirant

Orbi Satellite won't connect after power outage

Every time the power goes out, the satellite wont reconnect with base.  I have even plugged it in next to the router (litterally 1 inch away) still wont sync.  Then after a few days of trying to restart/resync it eventually does but no actions are different (light blinks white, then eventually stays magenta)...  Anyone have any ideas, there is really no troubleshooting steps past this?

Ive tried the following

Restarting (power cycle) both router and satellite and sync (no fix).

Restart (power cycle) only satellite and sync (no fix).

Performing sync multiple times (no fix).

Unplug satellite for a few days and perform the same above sometimes it resolves.

I refuse to pay for support after paying a ton of money for this mesh system...

Message 1 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Satellite won't connect after power outage

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Try a factory reset on the RBS then re-add it to the RBR...

Message 2 of 11
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Just curious, how is "sync" performed?

For example, is it sync'ed via pressing the black button in the back or something other method?

Message 3 of 11
pmjoen
Aspirant

Per the instructions of Netgear, select the "Sync" button on Router, and within 2 minutes select "Sync" on Satellite.

Message 4 of 11
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@pmjoen wrote:

Per the instructions of Netgear, select the "Sync" button on Router, and within 2 minutes select "Sync" on Satellite.

Ah, I see.

Pressing the 'sync' button might not clear the stale or corrupted configs in the Satellite as a result of power outage. You might want to force your Satellite to refresh its config instead.  If you can't even login into your Satellite UI page after power outage, you might consider going all in, find a paper clip and Factory Reset the Satellite, which should be quicker than waiting for a couple days for the cached/stale configs to expire.

If you can login to your Satellite, please check out this earlier post on how to refresh your Satellite configs.

Message 5 of 11
pmjoen
Aspirant

RBR50 Orbi Router>RBS50 Orbi Satellite

Firmware for both:

v2.3.1.44

Xfinity/TG1682G

2400sq ft Distance betwen router and satellite 15 feet (but ive had same issue with them an inch apart)

Message 6 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is your modem operating in? Router or Modem only? This is a modem/router combo unit:

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

15 feet is too close between the RBR and RBS. 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

You can also try upgrading FW to v60 as well if the factory reset on the RBS doesn't resolve this. 

@pmjoen wrote:

RBR50 Orbi Router>RBS50 Orbi Satellite

Firmware for both:

v2.3.1.44

Xfinity/TG1682G

2400sq ft Distance betwen router and satellite 15 feet (but ive had same issue with them an inch apart)

Message 7 of 11
ghostdog1
Aspirant

I'm having a similar issue and have done the full factory reset but it only lasts for a short period of time (maybe a day or two).  I'm starting to wonder if power outages fried something.

Message 8 of 11
ghostdog1
Aspirant

I've tried almost everything you stated with no real improvements.  Is there a way to pull the local satellite logs?

Message 9 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Is Beamforming, WMM and Daisy chain enabled or disabled? 

@ghostdog1 wrote:

I'm having a similar issue and have done the full factory reset but it only lasts for a short period of time (maybe a day or two).  I'm starting to wonder if power outages fried something.

Message 10 of 11
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@ghostdog1 wrote:

I've tried almost everything you stated with no real improvements.  Is there a way to pull the local satellite logs?

Just for information gathering, what have you tried so far?

Yes, you can look at Satellite local logs via telnet.  Please refer to this link on how to access debug and enable telnet.   You can also enable debug log to capture more information on that Satellite in the debug.htm page.  The local logs can be found in /tmp/log/ directory.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7