Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Satellites Losing Connection with Windows PC

russellmoran99
Luminary

Orbi Satellites Losing Connection with Windows PC

I have the following setup:

Orbi Router with FW V20.0.74 

Orbi Satellite RBS50 FW V2.0.0.74

Orbi Satellite RBS50 FW V2.0.0.74

Orbi Wall Plug-In Satellite RBW30 FW V2.0.0.34_1.0.21

I work from home 90% of the time.  I use my desktop and noticed 2-3 weeks ago I was dropping internet connection.  I installed a new WiFi D-Link Adapter thinking it was the computers adapter causing the problem.  (still happening)  My office is in the middle of my home and I am sure my desktop wifi goes from router to satellite.  I have seen it do so recently while using my iphone to see the router status.  When I'm connected to the router, I don't lose connection.  When I am using the satellite it will randomly lose connection at times.  I would say this happens once or twice a week then seems to clear up.  Maybe it clears up because my PC goes back to the router, I'm not sure?

I have also noticed that it doesn't seem to effect my iphone or VOIP phone which are both in my office.  My VOIP phone didn't stay connected using WIFI (which could explain why now) so I am using a Netgear WNCE3001 device.  I have not had 1 dropped connected since using this device. 

I am using Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 7 Plus Latest IOS

Cisco IP Phone SPA525G

Netgear WNCE3001 latest firmware

I have noticed multiple posts like this.  When I click see resolution...the user ends up returning Orbi system and buys another mesh network system.  Please help, I do not want to start over.  Thanks!!!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
st_shaw
Master

Re: Orbi Satellites Losing Connection with Windows PC

Regarding your phone... The WNCE3001 is connecting to Orbi's WiFI, right? If so, then the issue sounds like it's with your VOIP phone's WiFi, not with the Orbi. I assume you could not wire the VOIP phone to the router or a satellite and that's why you are using the WNCE3001?

Regarding the laptop bouncing between router and satellite... You have a lot of satellites (3X) and that's not a good thing if their signals overlap.  This can cause your devices to bounce between them.  You might need to move the satellites, turn one or more of them off, or lower their WiFi power (especially on 2.4), in order to get stable results.

How many floors and approximate SF are you covering?

Message 2 of 7
russellmoran99
Luminary

I stating having problems after adding the 3rd satellite wall plug in. I think I’ll lower the WiFi strength. Great idea.

I have 2 floors (25-30 foot ceilings from top to bottom) and around 6,000 sq foot of coverage.
Message 3 of 7
russellmoran99
Luminary

How do you lower it? I don’t seem to have an option like that?
Message 4 of 7
st_shaw
Master

Log into the router's GUI.  It's under Advanced, Advanced Setup, Wireless settings. There is a setting for both 2.4G and 5G bands.

Message 5 of 7
russellmoran99
Luminary

I was hoping I could lower power for the individual satellites. I lowered the 2.4ghz to 75%.

What is the purpose of doing that?
Message 6 of 7
st_shaw
Master

Yes, you can only adjust power across the board, which isn't ideal. The purpose is to reduce the region where the signals from the Orbi and satellites overlap.  When your phone or PC can see a signal from more than one AP, it can have a tendency to switch between them, causing temporary drops.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7