Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Satellites are not updating DNS

Jhawker82
Aspirant

Orbi Satellites are not updating DNS

Having a bit of an issue with my satellites not updating DNS. When I initially setup my Orbis I was using the DNS servers in my lab. I have since torn down the lab and updated the DNS on my RBR20 to point to new DNS servers, however the satellites do not seem to update. They are still pointing to my Lab DNS servers. As you can imagine this is causing serious issues for systems & applications that do not have DNS hard coded in their configs. I have followed the instructions for factory resetting the entire system and rebuilding from scratch, but the resolv.conf is still pointing to the old DNS servers. I can manually edit the config, but I would prefer not to have to do that every time I decide to change my DNS. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@Jhawker82 wrote:

....... I have followed the instructions for factory resetting the entire system and rebuilding from scratch, but the resolv.conf is still pointing to the old DNS servers. ...... 

It seems that you have only factory reset the Orbi Router but not the Satellite, right?

How did you do the factory reset for the Satellite? Have you used a paper clip on the Satellite to reset it?

Message 2 of 6
Jhawker82
Aspirant

@ekhalil wrote:

@Jhawker82 wrote:

....... I have followed the instructions for factory resetting the entire system and rebuilding from scratch, but the resolv.conf is still pointing to the old DNS servers. ...... 

It seems that you have only factory reset the Orbi Router but not the Satellite, right?

How did you do the factory reset for the Satellite? Have you used a paper clip on the Satellite to reset it?

Yes I have performed the paperclip reset multiple times on both the router and satellites. Insert paperclip in the reset hold until the light blinks amber. In fact I just did it again to no avail. 

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi is configured in "router mode", correct?  (In Access Point (AP) mode, the Orbi does not provide DNS information to clients.)

(This may be yet another learning opportunity for me because......)  My understanding is that the Orbi responds to DHCP requests with the device IP, the gateway IP (which is the Orbi router), and the DNS IP (which is also the Orbi router).  No matter what DNS servers the Orbi uses to resolve host names, all of the clients are given only the Orbi IP as their DNS source.  (We have had a number of lively discussions on the forum from users who wanted the Orbi to give out different DNS IP's and they have been disappointed that the Orbi won't do it.  Some actually went so far as to put the Orbi in AP mode and install their own DHCP server to accomplish this.)

So, I fear that resetting the Orbi system is not the 'cure'.  Do your lab systems get IP's using DHCP?  What is the DHCP server?

Message 4 of 6
Jhawker82
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

The Orbi is configured in "router mode", correct?  (In Access Point (AP) mode, the Orbi does not provide DNS information to clients.)

(This may be yet another learning opportunity for me because......)  My understanding is that the Orbi responds to DHCP requests with the device IP, the gateway IP (which is the Orbi router), and the DNS IP (which is also the Orbi router).  No matter what DNS servers the Orbi uses to resolve host names, all of the clients are given only the Orbi IP as their DNS source.  (We have had a number of lively discussions on the forum from users who wanted the Orbi to give out different DNS IP's and they have been disappointed that the Orbi won't do it.  Some actually went so far as to put the Orbi in AP mode and install their own DHCP server to accomplish this.)

So, I fear that resetting the Orbi system is not the 'cure'.  Do your lab systems get IP's using DHCP?  What is the DHCP server?

Yes the Orbi is configured in router mode. Before I tore down the lab, DHCP was diabled on the router and all IPs were assigned by my DHCP server, including those for the satellites. After I tore down the lab, I re-enabled DHCP on the router, but my guess is the config update never got pushed to the satellites. I have manually pointed the satellites back to the router IP for DNS so all is well in the world again (for now). I just cant for the life of me figure out why after multiple resets of the router and the satellites the config never got reset. Thanks everyone for the willingness to help. I learned more about these things today than I ever wanted to know! 

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@Jhawker82 wrote:

Having a bit of an issue with my satellites not updating DNS. When I initially setup my Orbis I was using the DNS servers in my lab. I have since torn down the lab and updated the DNS on my RBR20 to point to new DNS servers, however the satellites do not seem to update. They are still pointing to my Lab DNS servers. As you can imagine this is causing serious issues for systems & applications that do not have DNS hard coded in their configs. I have followed the instructions for factory resetting the entire system and rebuilding from scratch, but the resolv.conf is still pointing to the old DNS servers. I can manually edit the config, but I would prefer not to have to do that every time I decide to change my DNS. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7