Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Sattelite keeps dropping out

Kentboyjohn
Aspirant

Orbi Sattelite keeps dropping out

I am fed up with my Orbi Sattelite keep dropping connection.  I have had it in the same position for 2 years and all was perfect but the last couple of months it drops every day several times and I have to reboot it every time. It's going in the bin soon and I won't touch a Netgear product ever again 

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Orbi Sattelite keeps dropping out

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update?

Message 2 of 8
Kentboyjohn
Aspirant

You ask so many questions it's almost like it will be my fault. It's been working fine for two years and now it's crap so can only be a software update that's screwed it. I paid £350 to have it work not to employ a data engineer with it. 

Message 3 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Kentboyjohn wrote:

You ask so many questions it's almost like it will be my fault. It's been working fine for two years and now it's crap so can only be a software update that's screwed it. I paid £350 to have it work not to employ a data engineer with it. 

So start at the beginning....."What Firmware is currently loaded?"   And while you're at it, share with us how you came about this FW?

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Please don't take the questions as being your fault. Questions are to gain more information from you about your system and how it's configured and some suggestions on some troubleshooting steps to see if they may help. There are many factors in WiFi, problems and trying to help you figure this out. The more information and feedback you can give us the better. If you feel that your overwhelmed by all this, you may need to see some local help from experienced technician that can come to your place to help you out witht this. 

@Kentboyjohn wrote:

Message 5 of 8
Kentboyjohn
Aspirant

Firmware is V2.5.1.8

Modem is a DFRAYTEK Vigor 130

Home is a small detached house and the satellite is on the same floor and no more than 18 feet away from the router

I HAVE TRIED ALL THE VARIOUS CHANEL SETTINGS SUGGESTED

4 Neighbours showing + My Sky Box and HP Printer and some Google speakers/hubs

I am beginning to pull my hair out with it.

I have factory reset but makes no difference

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

@Kentboyjohn wrote:

Firmware is V2.5.1.8 OK Here

Modem is a DFRAYTEK Vigor 130 OK Here. 

Home is a small detached house and the satellite is on the same floor and no more than 18 feet away from the router< This is too close distance between the RBR and the RBS. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Message 7 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Kentboyjohn wrote:

Firmware is V2.5.1.8 OK Here

Modem is a DFRAYTEK Vigor 130 OK Here. 

Home is a small detached house and the satellite is on the same floor and no more than 18 feet away from the router< This is too close distance between the RBR and the RBS. 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Your're overlooking this fact:

"... have had it in the same position for 2 years and all was perfect but the last couple of months it drops every day several times and I have to reboot it every time. "

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7